A.chalcodes not eaten for 6 months why???

Tylerspenn20

Arachnopeon
my a.chalcodes 4cm purchased as part of a mystery box back in the beginning of January I've tried feeding every other week since Jan and no luck at all I've tried red runners locusts crickets all different kinds all to no success any one with some ideas why would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Fat ts do NOT need to eat. The t in question is HUGE.

Slow growers go long periods without feeding, its normal...you don't need the t to eat, you just need to be patient and wait for a molt, which could be a week away or 6 months away if this t was fed heavily before you received it.

Its definitely pre molt.

There is absolutely no point in even offering food.

Tylerspenn20

Arachnopeon
I haven't attempted now in like 2 month just curious to see why I thought premolt but I'm newish to the hobby and 7months almost 8 seems a long time

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
my a.chalcodes 4cm purchased as part of a mystery box back in the beginning of January I've tried feeding every other week since Jan and no luck at all I've tried red runners locusts crickets all different kinds all to no success any one with some ideas why would be greatly appreciated
Like @cold blood said, that Tarantula is quite hefty
It could seriously live off that body weight for a year or more. No need to worry that it hasn't eaten in 6 months. Make sure it has a full water dish :)

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I haven't attempted now in like 2 month just curious to see why I thought premolt but I'm newish to the hobby and 7months almost 8 seems a long time
See that black coloration on its bald spot? That an indication that it’s approaching a molt. Other than it being obese, that’s another sign of why it doesn’t want to eat

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Those are rookie numbers! Chalcodes in particular can fast for long periods of time, often many months when they are well fed (to my knowledge)

SquidStina

Arachnopeon
Because it's an A.chalcodes.

I have a 1" sling that decided she didn't want to eat for 5 months, not even premolt, and she's fine. Your T's fat kiwi butt will sustain it for a long time.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Desert species will eat a lot at when the going is good, maybe 3 months of the year and the other 9 months they will eat nothing. In the wild, southwestern deserts food comes in waves. Your little tarantula is simply full. She will take her time molt and then start feeding her again.

Be careful with overfeeding. At an young age accidents from overfeeding and falling are common. And make sure you keep up on the water. The more they eat, the more they grow after a molt. The more they grow the more water they need.

For the record, I a G. rosea go 13 months with out eating. Just water.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Very normal for A. chalcodes, mine regularly refuses food for 6-7 months at a time and she is nowhere near as fat as yours. I've been patiently waiting for a molt for 2 1/2 years now. They are ridiculously slow growers, patience is required.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Mine went a year and a half without eating and barely looked overweight. You might have long wait on your hands.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
the Chalcodes in my Avatar (also chonky) is on a fast right now as well. That's what they do.