A. Chalcodes bite report

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
My first bite...

I was filling up its waterdish about 5 minutes ago and my hand was probably in more than it should be. The tarantula came out from its hide and bit me. I never noticed it come out.

The bite feels like a bee sting but alittle more painful

Only symptoms so far is a small ammount of swelling and pain

The t is about 3 inches I would say....also a female

cold blood

Staff member
Good to learn the lesson of the tongs on that spider though.

Its probably a species that leads to a lot of complacency.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
sounds like you need longer tongs lol. Be glad it was only a chalcodes and not an OW. You'll be more alert the next time you're messing in their enclosures.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Isn't giving me the option
Let me try. Hmm...nope. And now that I look at it, there haven't been any posts there since 2015, either. Not sure why it's been that long or why we can't post there. Perhaps a moderator can help.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Good thing you are holding off on the OBT and P.muticus huh? Now you understand why people were telling you it isn't a good idea to jump in head first into OW's?!
You wouldn't be able to type if that was either of those species who bit you. ;)
@nicodimus22 only mods can place bite reports in the right section, i think...

aphono

Arachnobaron
Good to learn the lesson of the tongs on that spider though.

Its probably a species that leads to a lot of complacency.
Oh yes. Mine so far is very reactive and has already tried to bite. It was in a deli cup, the lid clicking bothers it a lot. The attempted bite happened while I was trying to open one side of the lid just enough to feed it a cricket... it lunged and attempted to bite so fast I did not even react until it was already standing back and rearing. Good thing I was not wanting to "handle" any of them- chose this species mainly for hardiness(and beautiful in their own way).

p.s. what size tongs are recommended?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh yes. Mine so far is very reactive and has already tried to bite. It was in a deli cup, the lid clicking bothers it a lot. The attempted bite happened while I was trying to open one side of the lid just enough to feed it a cricket... it lunged and attempted to bite so fast I did not even react until it was already standing back and rearing. Good thing I was not wanting to "handle" any of them- chose this species mainly for hardiness(and beautiful in their own way).

p.s. what size tongs are recommended?
Mine's 30cm long. I figured it would be nice to have some distance between me and spider :D
I have a 15cm for the slings.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
I use these red tongs I got from petsmart, I'm sure the tarantula is just skiddish and defensive because I got him yesterday so hopefully he isn't always like that, from how I've seen it, it has mood swings. When I got him from ken the bug guys in person and I held it it was calm and didn't get defensive, it didn't when I was putting him in his final home. I held him once also yesterday before I went to bed and was as calm as can be, probably is just mood swings but who knows it's to early to tell. Also I attempted to feed it this morning and it didn't eat the cricket.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Good thing you are holding off on the OBT and P.muticus huh? Now you understand why people were telling you it isn't a good idea to jump in head first into OW's?!
You wouldn't be able to type if that was either of those species who bit you. ;)
Well, maybe a bite from the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) along with hallucinations* that not even Amsterdam mushrooms, deliver common sense** u_u

* debatable, btw

** I don't know about the common sense part for that ain't a common sense man nor I was tagged by a Theraphosidae on my entire life so far, but I do believe in the Goddess power :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I use these red tongs I got from petsmart, I'm sure the tarantula is just skiddish and defensive because I got him yesterday so hopefully he isn't always like that, from how I've seen it, it has mood swings. When I got him from ken the bug guys in person and I held it it was calm and didn't get defensive, it didn't when I was putting him in his final home. I held him once also yesterday before I went to bed and was as calm as can be, probably is just mood swings but who knows it's to early to tell. Also I attempted to feed it this morning and it didn't eat the cricket.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
You handled it like three times already? You housed it with your hands?
That spider doesn't have moodswings, it is fed up with all the disturbance and stress it gets by you treating it like that.

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
No not 3 times once at kens and once before bed, didn't house it with my hands, I put the container I took it home in the enclosure and gently nudged its backside with tweezers

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
I only handle my other t when I need to clean her substrate and enclosure and that's only about 2-3 times a year unless Something happens

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't like to handle tarantulas unless necessary
I don't think that handling Theraphosidae is necessary at some point or another. Never did that since 1994, but probably ain't a smart guy :-/

I only handle my other t when I need to clean her substrate and enclosure and that's only about 2-3 times a year unless Something happens
Why cleaning the substrate like for hamsters etc? Just with tongs remove the prey remains. Spot on cleaning.

On my book a completely 'spring cleaning' should be done only for issues that no one wants, like severe mites infestation that not even in Leatherface home or other stuff like that :-s