A Brasilian Ex-enthusiast. Tarantulas I Have Known.

Hudson Ensz

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I live in Manaus Brazil and a few years back I was basically a tarantula fanatic. I would spend hours looking for Avics, or any other Mygalamorph.
Now I don't have any T.s and am more into native fish species.:p

I have a terrarium that I want to use for a dwarf tarantula (Looks like Cyriocosmus elegans). I have only seen these on a trip deep into the jungle under overturned logs. I didnt bring any back, but I have regretted it.
Enjoy the pics and for more visit my blog where I recently posted some pictures. I am guessing most of the avicularias were amazonicus (sp?)
Hopefully you guys can help me identify a few too.

Attachments

Hudson Ensz

Arachnopeon
Trinidad trip
I felt like crying when I remembered this trip. I was 11 and it was at the peak of my tarantula obssession. Then we took a trip to trinidad. As strange as it seems, I had COMPLETELY forgot about the trip for years.
I learned about the trinidad tarantula (its so pathetic, I cant remember the name of the tarantula after just a few years!) and set out to find it. Hours of searching brought up the Cyriocosmus elegans (I mean HOURS) and then that same day I actually found my trinidad tarantula (i cant remember the name!:confused:)! I was so happy. I found two more. I have always been the kid OBSESSED with something, like my entire life revolves ouround this thing. Then it was T.s. Anyways i kept them in my bug catcher and was the happiest kid in the world. for a few days until we came back to Brazil.
Btw while we were there, at a visit to one of the malls there was a bomb threat and we waited for hours outside. I must admit I was hoping it would blow...
Here are the pictures.

Attachments

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That "Trinidad Tarantula" is Holothele incei, the Trinidad Olive.

Great pictures, very lucky of you to be able to see tarantulas in their natural habitats.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Great pics! The Cyriocosmus in post 2 may be C. chicoi. Beautiful!

Later, Tom

Hudson Ensz

Arachnopeon
Thank you! I will look at C. chicoi.

The spider in the second series is currently unidentified, someone gave it to me and it was already dead when I got it. Very pretty tarantula though

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are the tarantulas from the first two posts from all around Manaus? If from elsewhere please say. The Cyriocosmus sp (second of second post) doesnt look like the species know from around Manaus (C.fasciatus, as drawn in Fukushima et al. 2005). C.chocoi is from Rondonia.

The last one in the second post could be a male of 'Hapalopus' butantan.

I wouldnt trust any of the names people might come up with for the Avicularia spp, but often i hear A.bicegoi for the Manaus species.

Thanks for posting your pics, and memories.

Regards
stuart

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you for sharing those wonderful shot's of your excursion... i would love to go and see T's in their natural habitat..

thanks again...

Peace,
Armando

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When you were in Trinidad, did you see any Centipedes, specifically large black ones? I also found Trinidad Olives there but didn't find any giant pedes.