A bit extreme on the posting limitations?

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been a member since 2012 but I'm unable to post in the classifieds even for a "want to buy" ad. I feel like it's extreme. I feel like I contribute to the forum by buying stuff from the sellers here because it makes THEM contribute and offer up more and more critters.

I would ask that the website reconsider how long you should be a member before you're allowed to make these posts.

Thank you.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
There are other ways to be able to use the classifieds. If you don't post often enough in the correct forums to count towards and maintian your "Active Member" status you can become a supporter (subscription) with an annual membership at two different levels. Lastly you can pay a $5.00 per month fee to access the classifieds, one month, 5 months what ever you need.

cold blood

Staff member
We do take that into consideration, old timers are granted classified use...but that's 10 years.

Really though, you just need to be active on the boards, and not seriously active either. 15 posts over a 45 day period qualifies you, that's like a day or three of casual posting every month and a half...not really that hard to achieve.

Many of the sellers here are actually not active contributors here and pay the nominal fee for classifieds use to be honest.

You also need to create a review page as well, but that's like 10 min of your time.

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess that was the point I was trying to make... I am an active member even if I choose to not post on the forum. Reading the forum and purchasing from others helps.

Just because I don't write here much doesn't mean that I'm not here. There are many others like me that help support this site by actually utilizing it as a great source of information and a resource for great captive bred animals and never post.

I suppose I've only got a few years left to wait... so look forward to my critter offerings in a few years! ;)

Thank you for the consideration and your time,

Speg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There are many others like me that help support this site by actually utilizing it as a great source of information and a resource for great captive bred animals and never post.
I believe that this is where you're misunderstanding. To be frank, you're not really supporting the site very much at all. I'm not saying this to be rude, I'm speaking from a purely financial standpoint. Free users generate income (however small) to the site via ad views and ad clicks. Paid users directly support the site by, of course, paying. Even classifieds sellers support by paying. Users who very rarely post and only occasionally browse the classifieds section are generating, at most, pennies for the site. Web hosting is not free, and is in fact quite expensive once we start talking about unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage (both features this site utilize). This isn't even talking about the time the owners put in to the site to upgrade, moderate, and maintain.

So in order for this site to be a valuable source of information to the vast majority of people who never post or never even make an account, sacrifices have to be made. Asking for 15 posts per month is not a heavy toll at all.