A birth in a colony?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if someone has a colony of B.jacksoni and you find that one of the females has given birth, do you
-remove every scorp except for the mother and babies?
-leave them all together?
What is the answer if the colony is of C.vittatus?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never bred B. jacksoni.

But C. vittatus are perfectly fine with adults mixed with slings however I have seen cannibalized slings of other slings.

The adults have never touched the slings IME.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it is more logic to remove the pregnant female and put here in a delicup. Is this way, when the young leave the mothers back, you can get the adult female out of the delicup and put her back in the group, while the young are easily caught out of the delicup and you will not have to search the whole enclosure......

There is always a risk of cannibalism, especially when there are obvious differences in size. The smaller ones often eat the just molted, or molting bigger ones. C.exilicauda excells in this! If you want to minimize the risk of cannibalism, you should rear the young seperatly.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I second what Michiel said. You will want to do the same with C vittatus. As a safety measure separate all young into individual vials in order to prevent cannibalism.

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you disturb the mother too much with young on her back she might eat them out of defense. Try to get her onto some bark or something and move that into the smaller enclosure. Once they come off her back, remove her.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was planning on raising the young seperately. I just thought it was, Maybe, a bad idea to disturb the mom to much and it would be better to move the rest of them. But I do like the thought about having the mom and babies in a deli cup, which would make dealing with second instars easier. Thanks for the advice/opinions, that is exactly what I was looking for.