A big huntsman

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
Adult female Holconia immanis, hopefully on her way soon to a good friend in the States (ignore the grubby hands), absolutely beautiful and most placid of animals, unless you're a cricket :)

Steve

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She's AWESOME!!!

I thought there was a ban on exporting animals from Australia, or is that just commercially?

BTW: Love your sig! {D

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: wow! awesome, i just love huntsmans, that would make a great addition to my true spider collection:rolleyes:

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is one sweet spider. Nice to hear she's a good girl. I want one of those some day but I have to read up more on their habitat requirements. (desert?) It really looks more ferocious that it really is I guess. Nice critter tho. :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's an amazingly gorgeous spider! It would be nice to be able to get some of these over here in the States, indeed. I see a lot of photos submitted to Deviant Art featuring these, mostly taken by kids in Australia who are horrified of them, and are trying to impress their peers at how "brave" they are getting close enough to one of these to take its picture with a zoom lens!

pitbulllady

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought huntsmans were extremely venemous. Very beautiful spider.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No kidding that's a big spider! What is that, 8" or so? :eek: Great spider. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Rydog--You might be confusing huntsmen spiders with wandering spiders ( Ctenidae ). Some wandering spiders are extremely venomous, but huntsmen aren't known to be. H. immanis is basically harmless, although I'm sure it's bite is painful.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that thing is huge... or your hands are just small? :rolleyes: Very impressive spider, looks like it wanted to bite you or something in the first pic!

EK2

Arachnopeon
That is a great looking Huntsman. More greyish than I am used to seeing. The one's around Sydney look mostly dark tan, without the bold bands. Same as up in Queensland. They really are sweethearts, and quite friendly. Leave to live on the wall and ceiling to take care of bugs, especially the bogongs.

Savvo

Arachnopeon
Oh wow, that is an amazingly beautiful huntsman. I wish our true spiders were large like that here in the states. It would be great to take care of one of those.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Oh wow, that is an amazingly beautiful huntsman. I wish our true spiders were large like that here in the states."

I thought your wolf spiders were pretty big?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Congrats Steve, I wish you lots of little baby monsters! ;P :)

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know if this is a different sub-species or not but some of the huntsmen spiders on Kangaroo Island in South Australia are unusually large. Significantly bigger than any huntsmans that I have seen on the mainland.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
biggest in Australia.....bigger again!!

Hi,
Sorry for losing the old pics of H.immanis with the black dorsal abdominal stripe, but look at this little beaudy.....Typostola barbata. or more commonly known as the Giant Green Huntsman (the green is seen in the blood between the leg joints, not on the body itself, stupid name I know....), the biggest known huntsman species in Australia and one hairy @ss spider ;)

Cheers,
Steve

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice pics! Would be great to see more true spiders established in the hobby someday! My hats off to you!