A big huntsman

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be 100% honest I am giving serious thought to obtaining captive breeding approval for this species and the big H.immanis (different to the smaller ones you see called that species, real ones have the jet black abdomenal dorsal stripe, I'll find the old pics of the one from this original thread again.....) and exporting those, I am told they would be in high demand as they outsize every other hobby huntsman, but I still question that, I'm not sure how popular something like this would be......

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please do! Get some of your guys L. hasselti in there too. ;)

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant see the pics :(

Edit: Nice! I love huntsman sp., especially the big ones. Very cool addition.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please do! Get some of your guys L. hasselti in there too. ;)
Hi,
Unfortunately the I.A.T.A. have a blanket ban on all Latrodectus and Atrax/Hadronyche, due to venom toxicity. So, any non-native Latrodectus you see in the US must be smuggled animals, I can't risk that, our guys here go over eveything before it leaves the country ;)

Cheers,
Steve

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, any non-native Latrodectus you see in the US must be smuggled animals
Not true. There has been plenty of legal shipments of latros throughout the years.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Steve those are some awesome huntsman!I was hoping some of the immanis were gonna make there way over here.Whether or not they would become popular in the hobby is hard to say.I would def love some!
-Chris

MorbidPh8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dang

I'm so glad we don't have them here. Lol the green huntsman is a trip. lol

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not true. There has been plenty of legal shipments of latros throughout the years.
Hello,
As I understand it, the I.A.T.A. have a blanket ban on the genus Latrodectus, are you certain the shipments were thoroughly recognised with Latrodectus noted in the pack for hobby trade?? Or do you mean just conveniently "not noted"??? Because I thought I had a pretty good grasp of what the IATA will and will not allow regarding international trade, although there may be something I have missed!! If you can find the law that says otherwise, please point me in the direction and I'll begin on L.hasselti for CB export. If you know of a contact who can assist and contradict what I was told, please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Typostola barbata. or more commonly known as the Giant Green Huntsman (the green is seen in the blood between the leg joints, not on the body itself, stupid name I know....), the biggest known huntsman species in Australia and one hairy @ss spider ;)
So how big do these guys get for max legspan? My H. immanis (the smaller ones without the jet black stripe) got to 7 inches (18cm) for the males. If the true H. immanis are bigger, and T. barbata bigger still...
And you could definitely put me on the list for wanting some if you ever exported :)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Steve.

I think Holconia immanis has made it over to the US. Legally or not...no idea.

Could you please get Delena cancerides(a social huntsman) over here?!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello,
As I understand it, the I.A.T.A. have a blanket ban on the genus Latrodectus, are you certain the shipments were thoroughly recognised with Latrodectus noted in the pack for hobby trade?? Or do you mean just conveniently "not noted"??? Because I thought I had a pretty good grasp of what the IATA will and will not allow regarding international trade, although there may be something I have missed!! If you can find the law that says otherwise, please point me in the direction and I'll begin on L.hasselti for CB export. If you know of a contact who can assist and contradict what I was told, please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve
When talking to U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agents over here in Long Beach, mention of latrodectus didnt even bat their eye. In fact I asked the question...is there any spider or arachnid for that matter that is not to be imported? ...the answer was no ...with the only exception being if one was exporting out from a country with fauna laws covered by CITES. As far as IATA laws go, getting any venomous creature on an airplane for an international flight is illegal ...whether one carries it on, packs it in luggage or ships it via public shipping service such as FedX, DHL etc. On the otherhand, a private import/export agent/broker can ship just about anything he wants ...again, as long as CITES laws arent broken. I was told that the irony is that IATAs laws against dangerous creatures on planes was mainly to protect the passengers, crew and any package/luggage handlers, yet many shipments imported via private agency end up on the same plane anyway. The logic is... a legally shipped package via agent will be inspected, properly packaged and properly documented ...eliminating any "snakes on planes" tragic events.

anyway...it be cool to actually know whats really up regarding this subject. Within the few conversations Ive had with officials that are supposed to be "in the know", I did notice some mixed messages between different people I talked to and with certain subjects, theres some areas that are more than a bit fuzzy 'round the edges.

EDIT:
please point me in the direction and I'll begin on L.hasselti for CB export
Well, if what Im saying rings at all true, one possible way to get some OZ widows out into the hobby would be to collect and ship from New Zealand. OK... I contacted someone (that should be in the know) in New Zealand and was informed that they dont have the same heavy restrictions as Oz proper does. Is that true??
The shipment would need to be done completely primp n'proper ...which means $$$ for the import and inspection $$$ at at least this end.

Last edited:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We need that spider in the US so badly, actually, I need that spider badly!!!

I would love to get my hands on some Helconia, anyone in the US who can get them to me will be handsomely rewarded.

:worship:

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IIRC, Todd Gearhart had some H immanis slings for sale, or was expecting a shipment of some. It was a while back though.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So how big do these guys get for max legspan? My H. immanis (the smaller ones without the jet black stripe) got to 7 inches (18cm) for the males. If the true H. immanis are bigger, and T. barbata bigger still...
And you could definitely put me on the list for wanting some if you ever exported :)
I've seen a huge T.barbata female cover a 10" car tire (US spelling fro the word, yes??)with room to spare, they get definately bigger than H.immanis. Did you see the pics of the true one (immanis)??? I don't know if the ones in the US or Eurpoe had the jet black dorsal abdomenal stripe????? Aussie H.immanis have a jet black dorsal abdomen stripe...... I think the others were another species.......but without seeing one I couldn't be certain.

Steve

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No comments about Delena? Or am I the only one interested in a large, truly communal spider?!

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did you see the pics of the true one (immanis)??? I don't know if the ones in the US or Eurpoe had the jet black dorsal abdomenal stripe????? Aussie H.immanis have a jet black dorsal abdomen stripe...... I think the others were another species.......but without seeing one I couldn't be certain.
Your pictures of immanis is a lot of what made me track them down from halfway across the world :)
My best guess as to what the other species is (only based on coloring, not a scientific ID). But they do look just like mine, and I've seen a few sources that agree.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as IATA laws go, getting any venomous creature on an airplane for an international flight is illegal ...whether one carries it on, packs it in luggage or ships it via public shipping service such as FedX, DHL etc. On the otherhand, a private import/export agent/broker can ship just about anything he wants ...again
Hi,
That's just my point, it's the IATA laws that stop me from exporting those two genera. Agents will bend the rules to a point they will gamble they don't get caught, or can play dumb if they do, I don't have that luxury ;)

If I send a single animal that is detected as one of those genera (or anything not on my permit, which is federally approved and follows the IATA ;)), I lose all my permits and licences, I would not be able to do what I do ever again. I can't risk that, it's not worth it to me to take such a huge risk. Over there it's a lot simpler, you do not get massive fines and blanket life bans like we do here.

To even get a singular species from ANY group onto my permit, it MUST abide by those laws, if I ignore them, I lose bigtime.

So, it is illegal and I can't do it, impossible. I knew the laws in place, but was genuinely cuirous if I'd missed something and you knew something else. I can see it can be made to seem "legal" and innocent, but nah, impossible for me. Those two genera are never for export and never will be, the IATA have seen to that.

Thanks for the explanation but, I can understand what you're saying and how one could attempt such a thing, but the legality is something I cannot get around and just could not risk.

These big hairy runners though, they could be put on a permit for sure.

Steve

MrRogers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can honestly say I'm enjoying my time here in Australia. a huntsman spider just ran across my path while I was sitting outside chatting with a friend. It only had about a 4'' legspan. It got away before I could take a picture.

I think these spiders would be awesome pets if they were available in North America.

Fast little buggers though.....

Last edited: