A Big Beautiful Brown T deal (6ish" crawshayi)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Couldn't pass this guy up --

north of St.Paul Minnesota, in the mall.. they had about 6 Ts (no avics or seemanis!)some B.smithi, P.murinus, "C.crawshayi", and G.rosea. They also had 2 beautiful L.mactans and some really evil/beautiful scorpions (asian forest/flatrock/fat tailed).. and a nice little milli.

i was very surprised to see all that at a pet store in the mall. Anyways, i saw this "C.crawshayi" (?) in amazing condition for freaking $30. No joke. Plus i got a nice big cage for $7!!!

So here's a little pic of the guy. Getting all settled in, no hissing... yet :)

It's an akward shot, since the T and the ruler are coming in at different angles, but i'll take some better shots soon.

later
dave

Last edited:

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
nice dave do you know how many slings they produce?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not so sure about the exact number, but a friend down in florida got 52 at first instar last year...

But, again, to be honest, i have no idea of the average number.. i've heard numbers ALL over the place....

should be interesting.. i need about 4 or 5 males on hand though -- my buddy went through 3 before he got a good insemination.

peace
dave

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
I'm not so sure about the exact number, but a friend down in florida got 52 at first instar last year...

But, again, to be honest, i have no idea of the average number.. i've heard numbers ALL over the place....

should be interesting.. i need about 4 or 5 males on hand though -- my buddy went through 3 before he got a good insemination.

peace
dave
wow 4 or 5 to get the job done...yikes sounds like u got some work ahead of you but for 52 slings that would be worth it

KingCrawshayi#1

Arachnopeon
Sorry, that is a probable Hystercrates of some kind not a true Crawshayi. The adult female Kings dont have long hairs all over their hind legs and the back feet are pigeon toed. That is probably Hystercrates Crassipes or Ederi, not a King Baboon that is also why you got it so cheap. Not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know what it really is. Chris

KingCrawshayi#1

Arachnopeon
In terms of young 200-300 you can get upon a good hatch out. I got 285, 1 sac infertile 2 sacs were ate. I right now have 4 of my Kings that are probable gravids. Thanks to 2 dealers out there. If you dont know me I have 105 King Baboons babies and adults..... Chris

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet -- 200 to 300?!!! Nice, i'm really looking forward to breeding my other real crawshayi Ts :)

Interesting...
I'll figure out eventually what this guy really is...

no rain on my parade at all mate, i got enough of these bad boys, but i still got a sweet deal for $30! I'm always down to pick up new Ts for cheap! There's def nothing wrong with that, right? ;)

i'm gonna take a look around and try to figure out what this guy really is! I really have to stop buying Ts.. at this rate, i'll be hitting the big 3-0-0 sooner than i expected/wanted... now i gotta take one more look for my parahybana that's on the lam before i break down and buy a replacement.

thanks
peace
dave

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
*cough* Let me try to pull a coherent thought out of my diseased brain and respond...

It's apparently a Hysterocrates species, possibly one of the 'not gigas' species, but then again, it could be gigas. Some believe everything is gigas, even alleged hercules, while others maintain that hercules, crassipes, ederi and the others are all clearly ID'able externally. The truth is, as usual, probably somewhere in between.

If I had a gun to my head (please?), I'd say this looks like what has in the past been sold as H. hercules. Which means, unfortunately, it could be just about anything (ederi, etc.).

It's just not possible to ID these Hysterocrates with any certainty from dark pics. Still, it looks quite nice and was well worth $30.00 (even a 'common' H. gigas specimen of that size would fetch upwards of $100 or more).

bill

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Bill! Glad you got my email real quick :)

i've got a couple others of AROUND the same size back home and i def don't think its a gigas.... i'm one of the people that doesn't think they're all gigases, either...

I'll be taking some better pics soon....

thanks for the input buddy! I agree, it's def a steal ;) i really want to figure out exactly what this guy is... looks like it may be time to stop by billy norton's place for another set of eyes...

how's the pox doin, by the way?

peace
dave

Last edited:

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
Dave,

Nice mystery T you got there. What's its attitude like?

Jeff

btw, I'm starting to see a pattern with the blue oven mitts. would those really protect you from a T's fangs?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey man.
Oh i dont wear those suckers really. I don't really know why i keep them around the T room....

It's only step 1 in a 4 step process sometimes. I'll try a species out on gloves sometimes, then go to the hand, but usually i got the T on the hand.

and yes, theyve got an extra lining in them, and then a lining of leather. I snagged them from my culinary school. Yes its hard to get a freaking saftey pin through those guys!

I'm pretty stoked with this deal. It's definitely in the "H.sp" category...

peace
dave

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
DAY-AAAAVE!!

You get the most awesome deals! I agree, the size of the speciman ALONE would command a WAY higher price than $30 around here! More like $150!!! I say "Schwayyyyyyyt!"

Would you do all my T shopping from now on? Please???

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well

theoretically (depending on what side of the fence youre on), its a H.crass... :)

which still freaking rules. this gal is awesome!!!
man, and i picked up a bunch of other slings today too!!

will post pics too later on.. its all about the geroldi's for $20 ;)

and as i'm shopping for 5 other people (possibly 6 now), no i don't mind shopping for you either. The local chick near me just got in about 15 new species today.. on top of the 19 she's already got!!

peace
dave

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:D Wait till I tell my husband I have a "shopping boy!":D

Dave... you da s*$t!!!!!

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that, or just come to minnesota.. don't listen to the jaded people from the twin cities.. if i can find these deals here, then they're not that hidden... everyone else is just lazy :)

peace
dave

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Dave,
Not sure how you do it, but you always get the killer deals.

What was that about the geroldi's?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there

well as long as your not lazy you can always find some sweet deals. That, and get close with your local dealer.. I've unloaded half an eggsac of versi's once, and that went a LONG LONG way. You don't even need to do that.. with one guy, i just sit down and talk Ts with him.... once they respect you as a person and not just a customer they won't mind knocking $5 or $10 off a spider sometimes...

and even then they're usually pretty cheap around me anyways. The slings around me are cheap as all get out, so they won't knock anything of the sling price....

I like one of my local dealers, because she has such an amazing selection of Ts....

can't wait to get my breeding pair of geroldis :)

peace
dave

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by KingCrawshayi#1
Sorry, that is a probable Hystercrates of some kind not a true Crawshayi. The adult female Kings dont have long hairs all over their hind legs and the back feet are pigeon toed. That is probably Hystercrates Crassipes or Ederi, not a King Baboon that is also why you got it so cheap. Not trying to rain on your parade, just letting you know what it really is. Chris
That's what I was thinking too. I was also thinking maybe it was a gigas? I used to have a big King Baboon female and she was very ORANGE and definitely not black. Too bad she died. She was a BEAUTIFUL spider! *sigh*

Wysi

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wasn't calling YOU lazy, i'm just saying, that if i can find such good deals (and I do), then it can't be that hard :)

by the way, if you go back to page 2, i wrote that its an H.crass.....

see, thats me being too lazy to finish writing the name... ;)

but that also depends on if you consider everything a gigas, or not..

but what a deal for a big beautiful spider!

peace
dave