A. bicoloratum Resting in Death Curl Position

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Good Morning,

I have been noticing my A. bicoloratum has been resting in a concerning position, similar to that of a “death curl.” I only starting noticing this as of last night and this morning.

I only acquired this specimen as of 03-15-2023. Has anyone else experienced this with any of their tarantulas? I would gently touch the A. bicoloratum with a mascara brush and it would move as if nothing is wrong. I hope I am just being paranoid.
Thank you.

-Jason

Attachments

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
That doesn’t look good. If the height from the substrate to the lid is more than 1.5 times the diagonal leg span of your T, it would be a fall injury. As you just got the sling so recently, it could have been preexisting, too. Use a small, soft paintbrush when proding her instead of a mascara brush.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I think you're just being paranoid. T's will rest in some pretty awkward positions sometimes, but that's normal. It could have also been grooming - they get really weird when they do that. It looks nice and plump and it seems like there's water for it, so I think it'll be fine.

I agree about the substrate level, though - it would be good to add a couple more inches.

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
I will be adding more substrate to ensure there is no risk of fall-injury. I need to correct myself: it’s an eye-shadow brush, not a bristled mascara brush.

The A. bicoloratum took down a mealworm a week ago, so I’m hopeful it is just being weird. Thanks for the insight.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks odd to me, never had a T in that position that was healthy.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
hmmm its hard to say, to me it doesn't exactly look like a grooming position, I would try placing its mouth over the water dish just to play it safe, if it lets you do it then there's cause for alarm if it doesn't then maybe it was just an odd position.

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Looks odd to me, never had a T in that position that was healthy.
I find that very concerning. It’s odd because the A. bicoloratum will resume acting like nothing is wrong if I gently touch its leg. The third picture is immediately after it starts moving again.
I’m wracking my head trying to figure out if I did something wrong.

hmmm its hard to say, to me it doesn't exactly look like a grooming position, I would try placing its mouth over the water dish just to play it safe, if it lets you do it then there's cause for alarm if it doesn't then maybe it was just an odd position.
I had the same idea. I tried coaxing it above the shallow water dish, to which it began venturing elsewhere.

The A. bicoloratum is currently clinging to the side of the container (as it did during its initial rehousing) because of the new substrate I put in to raise the level.

I have to let it acclimate again.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is not. It’s still clinging to the side of the enclosure. I will update once it is acclimated again.
Well that's normal after a big enclosure change like adding more substrate

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I find that very concerning. It’s odd because the A. bicoloratum will resume acting like nothing is wrong if I gently touch its leg. The third picture is immediately after it starts moving again.
I’m wracking my head trying to figure out if I did something wrong.

I had the same idea. I tried coaxing it above the shallow water dish, to which it began venturing elsewhere.

The A. bicoloratum is currently clinging to the side of the container (as it did during its initial rehousing) because of the new substrate I put in to raise the level.

I have to let it acclimate again.
Ts that are borderline between healthy, and going South to die IME if you disturb them as you are doing, they will "act" like everything is fine you are disturbing them, and you are a perceived threat. I would not read into what you are seeing

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Ts that are borderline between healthy, and going South to die IME if you disturb them as you are doing, they will "act" like everything is fine you are disturbing them, and you are a perceived threat. I would not read into what you are seeing
I agree with that thought-process, and I prefer to assume the situation is worse than what it seems so I can act now to alter my husbandry.
I’m at a point where I am just waiting and observing to ensure it does not show any more grave signs.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It could have also been grooming - they get really weird when they do that.
I've definitely had a scare once or twice where my sling had finished grooming, but was too lazy to move its nice clean feet back out from under it. So not actually grooming, but still curled up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've definitely had a scare once or twice where my sling had finished grooming, but was too lazy to move its nice clean feet back out from under it. So not actually grooming, but still curled up.
Not surprised they are black boxes with 8 legs

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Update: A. bicoloratum was found resting in death curl position again. This time, I was able to coax it without much opposition. I gently moved it above a shallow water dish.

Attachments

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
Update: A. bicoloratum was found resting in death curl position again. This time, I was able to coax it without much opposition. I gently moved it above a shallow water dish.
Looks a little far in the dish. You might want to make sure it's book lungs are not resting in the water. If it is weak or having trouble moving it may still drown in that cap.

ZimZum

Arachnosquire
Looks a little far in the dish. You might want to make sure it's book lungs are not resting in the water. If it is weak or having trouble moving it may still drown in that cap.
I will adjust it to be further back.

This should be sufficient.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Good Morning,

I have been noticing my A. bicoloratum has been resting in a concerning position, similar to that of a “death curl.” I only starting noticing this as of last night and this morning.

I only acquired this specimen as of 03-15-2023. Has anyone else experienced this with any of their tarantulas? I would gently touch the A. bicoloratum with a mascara brush and it would move as if nothing is wrong. I hope I am just being paranoid.
Thank you.

-Jason
Yes. I did. With my AF G. pulchripes. I instinctively knew it was a concern but she wouldn't do it all the time and I posted a thread about it to which mostly everyone didn't think it was an issue. It wasn't until her abdomen started caving in that it was truly confirmed.

She did it on and off for months leading up to her death.