A. bicoloratum FINALLY ate!!!

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Hi there everyone,
I recently purchased a beautiful Aphonopelma bicoloratum female, (approx. 3 3/4 inces), a few weeks ago, and was getting worried because she hadn't eaten the first 3 times I offered her food.

However, after a careful pouring over of Schutlzs' book, I did exactly as recommended, and added a couple of crickets prior to dark hour, and didn't bother her. If they were still in there in the morning, I'd remove them, and repeat a couple of nights later. I watched her drink from her water dish, so dehydration, wasn't really a concern. BUT, this morning, the CRICKETS were GONE!

Has anyone else her had this kind of timidity towards feeding from their A. bicoloratum ? She does seem to be afraid of her own shadow, but is slowly warming up, almost as much as my A. eutylenum has. All in all, the Mexican Bloodlegs, are QUITE beautiful, docile, and wonderful T's, but mine seemed to be on a bit of a hunger strike. I'm glad to see she's finally regaining her appetite. She's not showing any obvious signs of pre-molt, and I realize that this means next to nothing, but I'm assuming that with her newly refound thirst for cricket insides, that she's still a little ways off from any molting.

Anyway, thanks for looking, and if anyone else has any A. bicoloratum keeping experience, I'd love to hear how your's eat.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My girl eats like an LP(well almost) she never refuses food.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Actually it DIDN'T eat, just killed

Well, I LIED!!! I forgot I had posted this. Upon arrival back home that evening, I saw a dead cricket, but no bolus. She killed the cricket, but never ate it.

*UPDATE*

Still NADA! This spider absolutely refuses to eat! She'll drink water all the time, but shows NO INTEREST at all in any amount of crickets I put into her enclosure. After a day or two, if she hasn't eaten them, I remove them and try a few days later, but she has eaten ZERO crickets in my care, and I've had her since around Thanksgiving.

I've read of A. bicoloratums going as long as 2 years! without eating, but I honestly didn't believe it. I know for certain that they can go at least 3 months, but is this something I should be concerned about yet?

Mez

Arachnoknight
Is it adult? I wouldnt worry at all. Especially if its adult, it may be in pre moult, which can take ages for aphonopelma i believe....dont some species live up to 20 years?

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Is it adult? I wouldnt worry at all. Especially if its adult, it may be in pre moult, which can take ages for aphonopelma i believe....dont some species live up to 20 years?

It is indeed an adult. I suspect pre moult too, and figure the spider definitely knows what she's doing. It's just that all of my other T's eat like horses, so it is just slightly peculiar. :?

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
keep trying, if she looks plump i wouldnt worry about it too much. some spiders are weird....or just have reaaaallllly slow metabolisms

my long term non-eaters were a rosea that didnt eat for more than a year, nearly two...never got thinner. once it molted it started eating much more regularly. i currently have a pulchra that hasnt eaten in like 8 months, its still plenty fat though so no biggy.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
She's quite plump, and regularly chugs away at her water dish. It's AMAZING to hear that a G. rosea went 2 YEARS w/o eating! :eek: I guess "slow metabolism" would be a slight understatement! I cannot tell you guys how much Tarantulas CONTINUE to amaze me, each and every day! Many thanks too for the input, and info.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They never seem to eat...

I had two adult females and still have one of those beautiful spiders (traded one away) and I have to say that both of them eat rather seldom. they will gorge themselves after a molt until they are pretty plump... and then... nothing.

I kept the older female (she's 8 years old now) and once she has plumped out after a molt, she will eat only once a month if I'm lucky. Or go on a hunger strike for as long as 6 months in a row if I'm not. So this is absolutely normal behavior, don't worry, offer food every 2 weeks or so, take it our if she didn't eat by the next morning and let her set her own pace.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Alice,
Thanks for sharing. I had read a few times that they were inclinde to behave like this. I am glad to know that mine is just being a normal Aphonopelma bicoloratum, and eating like a Diva! They are SO BEAUTIFUL, I agree, and am very happy to be the proud owner of one.

Now just to find a Mature Male. HAHA!!!{D