A. bicoloratum, Eupalaestrus Campestratus,Brachypelma schroederi which one should I buy?

Neot

Arachnopeon
I want a T. that always visible, non-aggressive and not too motionless like staying on the same spot for whole day(I heard many G.rosea do this). which one should I get from this seller lists?
I prefer species that won't grow more than 5"

- aphonopelma bicoloratum
- Eupalaestrus Campestratus
- Brachypelma schroederi

(and other rare species that I couldn't find information like A.aberrans , A.serratum, A.vorhiesi, B. angustum, Brachypelma baumgarteni)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
From those three i only have experience with E.campestratus.
It is a good beginner species, lovely colours, nice feeding response, and can be quite active at times, bulldozing substrate, dragging plants around. Temperament varies of course, but mine has been consistently calm and a bit lazy through two molts. Except when food is in the picture, but i would not call her 'food agressive' like an A.geniculata.
It also depends on how big the specimen for sale is. I wouldn't buy a sling because their growth rate is extremely slow.
They're not often for sale here, so i grabbed the chance to buy one. :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Are you buying spiderlings?
The B. schroederi will take the longest to reach adult size of the 3 you listed. This, based on average T keeping practices, but there are exceptions to the rule. All 3, I consider to be docile, good eaters and visible most of the time.
Personally, I'd get A. bicoloratum, but may exceed your 5" maximum.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I want a T. that always visible, non-aggressive and not too motionless like staying on the same spot for whole day(I heard many G.rosea do this). which one should I get from this seller lists?
I prefer species that won't grow more than 5"

- aphonopelma bicoloratum
- Eupalaestrus Campestratus
- Brachypelma schroederi

(and other rare species that I couldn't find information like A.aberrans , A.serratum, A.vorhiesi, B. angustum, Brachypelma baumgarteni)
When in doubt, always buy all of them :D

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B schroederi is the only one of those three that I've kept. As a sling, she burrowed quite a bit. Since hitting juvenile size, she is out all the time. Always a great feeding response unless in premolt. Mine is more defensive than most of my other Brachypelma species.
Definitely slow growers. She's "active" for a tarantula, but will stay in one spot for extended periods of time. Tis the nature of the beasts. If you want something that moves around a lot, consider a hamster. Hamsters do tend to be on the aggressive side, though...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Most Aphonopelma species (exception of A. seemanni) are good beginner and display species. Most also tend to be under 5".

But if you want to see an active T stay up late nights and watch them im the dark with night vision goggles.. Or get a B. vagans, they seem to always be doing something daft.

Neot

Arachnopeon
B schroederi is the only one of those three that I've kept. As a sling, she burrowed quite a bit. Since hitting juvenile size, she is out all the time. Always a great feeding response unless in premolt. Mine is more defensive than most of my other Brachypelma species.
Definitely slow growers. She's "active" for a tarantula, but will stay in one spot for extended periods of time. Tis the nature of the beasts. If you want something that moves around a lot, consider a hamster. Hamsters do tend to be on the aggressive side, though...
Thanks for B schroederi info!(Also every replies) But please don't misunderstand when I said I want active Tarantula , I have Davus fasciatus, Cyriocosmus Ritae, Kochiana brunnipes, Hapalopus sp. Colombia and satisfy to see them move sometimes. I never expect them to move a lot like other pets, I just want another T. that have similar movement level to mine.

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brachypelma verdezi is one of my more active tarantulas. She's always busy doing something, though she has her down times as well. Don't know if all verdezi are like her. Until this last molt cycle she was always pretty calm, too. Now she's a bit skittish. Not sure if that will be a permanent thing or passing.
Verdezi get about 5 to 6 inches leg span. Not one of the flashier Brachys, but attractive in their own right.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Thanks for B schroederi info!(Also every replies) But please don't misunderstand when I said I want active Tarantula , I have Davus fasciatus, Cyriocosmus Ritae, Kochiana brunnipes, Hapalopus sp. Colombia and satisfy to see them move sometimes. I never expect them to move a lot like other pets, I just want another T. that have similar movement level to mine.
The Davus fasciatus is a beautiful T. I wish they were available here. I have the somewhat similar Davus Penalore and they are nice as well.

If you can get a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (GBB), they are excellent T's. Mine sealed over their hides with web and are out in the open always. They are also very colorful, are growing fast, and have a fun feeding response.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Not to hijack the thread, but I haven't seen B. schroderi for sale anywhere in the USA. Trying to figure out what the sling pricing range is. Can anyone toss me a link? Thanks.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I just sold a few B. schroederi AF. I would get A. bicoloratum hands down. I never see them for sale. But I am in UK , maybe different there

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've never been a huge fan of A bicoloratum and I can't understand why but I love my Brachypelma schroederi it's really active and a fierce hunter

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where did you get one? I'm trying to find anyone that has them to get an idea of pricing.
I'm over in the uk so the place of purchase wouldn't be much help.
I paid around $20 for an unsexed sling Brachypelma in the uk as a general rule are dirt cheap even for sexed adult females, There was an adult female B schroederi for sale a couple of months ago over here for around $60-65