Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

A Better Space Heater

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Potatatas, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Advertisement
    I think you can use those vacuum sucking cups too, but I'm not sure how well they'll stay when there is warmth involved, or how well they stick to woodlike surfaces.

I have no experience with heat tape, from what I've gathered, that stuff is the same material and build as the heatmats they use for reptiles, those awful sticky things that get like 60°C or something. The cable I use is only 25 watt at a length of 25 meters. For my hissers and the feeder dubia I use a heatmat that is non stick and gets only 40°C. I use this partly for my snake, on one side, and partly for the hissers on the other side.

If you use either, make sure to leave a gap of 2 to 3 cm to prevent overheating your animals. Spiders are not as smart as reptiles and fry themselves. With these lower temperatures, literal burning is not a possibility, but still, I don't have anything directly on either cable or mat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

Great info about cable versus tape!

Wow, 40C is still to hot for my needs! Even with a gap between cable and enclosure. I'd need the lateralis enclosure to be 75-80F (23.9-26.7C) in a 66F (18.9C) room. Hmmm... I wonder if cables come in even lower wattages...

Thanks for the info!

@ThatsUnpossible, maybe could you use the little 3M Command style adhesive removable hooks? Like the ones use for holiday string lights or electric cords? I don't know how they are with heat.

@Astron, the thread is supposed to be about space heaters... so don't apologize, you're way more on topic than me! :hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Astron

Astron Arachnopeon

UK
    But still, appropriate heating methods are a bit of a bugbear of mine, and indirect heat cabling around shelving/cabinets is an excellent option. Let's face it, that camp fire in the middle of a room begins looking mighty appealing in comparison to sticking a terrestrial enclosure on top of a heat mat... :banghead:

I dug up a useful article on the differences between heat cables/tape/cord that might be useful to those investigating this option - just keep in mind that the temps detailed are maximum values, not what you can actually get them running at with a thermostat!

https://oemheaters.com/topic/heating-tape

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

No no, the heat mat I use for my snake and Hissers is 40C when touched directly. 2 cm away it is around 25C.
    The heatcable is less, the core is 36C, the rubber around it is 26-ish, 3 cm away it is 23-ish depending on how it is placed. In a semi-closed setting like in my cupboard, the cable creates a warmth around 23, 24C, but if used in an open space, that quickly drops down to 20, depending on temps in the room.
    Some spiders like it a bit on the warm side, like E.murinus, so she has the cable directly at the sides, but the others all have gaps around them of roughly 2 to 3 cm.
    I had S.lateralis breeding like crazy with that thing :p

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Feral

Feral Arachnoknight Active Member

Oh okay, I see what you were saying, that those original temps were direct surface temps. And thank you for providing temps that account for heat dissipation because of the lack of direct contact, that's helpful.

That gives me a good idea of if it would work for my particular situation. I keep a very small lat colony, but I can't let it get too small, so I control my lateralis population with temps, so this is helpful information for me. Like last winter I didn't want breeding, so I didn't heat. But this winter I think I might want breeding, so I'm reviewing my setup for heating. This discussion gives me a better idea of my options, or for anyone else that controls thier feeder population with temps.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Astron

Astron Arachnopeon

UK
    Ah... my apologies, didn't realise the Amazon link wasn't appropriate!

For anyone looking into a good way of managing temperature control with oil radiators, you can pick up pretty inexpensive wireless thermostat plugs that run on regular batteries and have remote sensing units - so you don't need things like smart home hubs etc.

I use one with a 1kW oil rad that's only set to about 20-25% output and that happily keeps my T room at a ~22°C (72°F, +/-1° tolerance) temp. Saves on electric costs and means you've got a really easy option for maintaining general temps in colder climates and periods.

Tying in with the heating cables, you could very easily get a cabinet or shelving unit in the same space set up for warmer temps for things like slings and feeders - all for a fairly cost efficient budget

• Like Like x 1
  7. RP91

RP91 Arachnopeon

Does everyone feel ok running the oil radiator when not at home? As long as it has a thermostat?

8. Potatatas

Potatatas Arachnoknight

Heater works great, still find the inbuilt thermostat a little inaccurate though. Wish I'd gone for one with a digital display which aren't that much extra. I keep it on the lowest wattage setting (800w I think) and thermo set to keep the room around 18c, so bare minimum really to keep costs down.

I have a crestie and a snake with lots of lights/heat sources so it's difficult to tell what is costing me money! I think it would probably be cheaper in the long run to get a viv witha ceramic heater to put my Ts in during cold months

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Mine is turned on in October and not turned off again until sometime in May.....it's a non-issue....they're very safe....safe to the touch and even the carpet inches below doesn't get hot.

They also have a thermostat built in, so you can set to whatever temp you want and just leave it.....if your place suddenly gets warm, it just turns off on its own....while the thermostat may not be totally accurate for heating, its pretty irrelevant as it does it's job well. Mine has a digital display...my room temps are usually a few degrees below the set temp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.