:? A. avicularia

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
O.K. so I was just at my local pet store and they have various tarantulas in from time to time. Well this time they had an adult P. murinus, a P. murinus sling, and a mature G. rosea all in separate 2.5 gallon tanks. Then in another 2.5 gallon tank they had three adult A. avicularia.

I am really seriously thinking about getting a pinktoe 'cause I've heard nothing but good things about them and I like their cute little pink toes. From what I've read in books and on here, they seem to be the perfect first arboreal.

I believe that this pet store only deals with wild caught tarantulas though. This makes me a little skeptical about buying one due to the possibility of parasites and what not. They were just hanging out on the sides of the glass and all looked to me to be in pretty good health.

The avics were priced at $18.00 each.

I just wanted to get a little feedback as to if this is a decent price for this species or not.

I figured I'd do a little research and if all seemed well I'd go back and buy one later.

Also I was wondering about keeping multiples in one tank. I've heard of this before but won't they kill each other. Or are they just that docile that they can be kept communally?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya thats a good deal. I would get one if its going to be your first. I have nothing bad to say about Avics..... just watch your air flow... they need lots of hair holes and vent.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
18$ isnt bad, but it isnt good either. Communal living is possible but it carries a huge caveat. If you were to keep them together, they would need space, several hides, and it would be absolutely necessary for them to be very well fed. Even if these conditions are met, they still sometimes eat each other. As talkenlate says, they need to have air flow, and they also need humidity.

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats not a bad price on a pinktoe. Just remember to separate them or you will end up with one very full t! i love and handle all my pinktoes. they're just so cute. great beginner t!

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's a mighty fine deal if you ask me. The only local pet shop around here that caries A. avic is Petco, and they want $29.99 for them.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey looking good! What is that its on in there? Looks like styrofoam .

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats one cute ( t ) you have how do you keep the humidity up like that ? --phil

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good choice, you will love having pinktoes, I adore mine. I have a pair of avic avics, by Tuesday I will have a pair of A. purpurea, and I have an A. bicegoi sling. They are just so cute!! They are also generally very docile. You just need to be a little careful if you decide to handle, they can be more very fast if startled.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats one cute ( t ) you have how do you keep the humidity up like that ? --phil
well this pic was taken shortly after setting up the KK. So it really hadn't had much time to evaporate yet. But I have about a 1.5" layer of a 30/70mix of coconut fiber and peat. Then I put some terrarium moss on top, gave it a decent misting and added a water bowl.

I did cover some of the venting on the top of the KK to help keep the maoisture in a little.

I am checking o it regularly to make sure the levels are staying up where I want them.

Last edited:

Dustin

Arachnopeon
O.K. so I was just at my local pet store and they have various tarantulas in from time to time. Well this time they had an adult P. murinus, a P. murinus sling, and a mature G. rosea all in separate 2.5 gallon tanks. Then in another 2.5 gallon tank they had three adult A. avicularia.

I am really seriously thinking about getting a pinktoe 'cause I've heard nothing but good things about them and I like their cute little pink toes. From what I've read in books and on here, they seem to be the perfect first arboreal.

I believe that this pet store only deals with wild caught tarantulas though. This makes me a little skeptical about buying one due to the possibility of parasites and what not. They were just hanging out on the sides of the glass and all looked to me to be in pretty good health.

The avics were priced at $18.00 each.

I just wanted to get a little feedback as to if this is a decent price for this species or not.

I figured I'd do a little research and if all seemed well I'd go back and buy one later.

Also I was wondering about keeping multiples in one tank. I've heard of this before but won't they kill each other. Or are they just that docile that they can be kept communally?
small world im from niles and i bet the pet store your talkin about is exotics and aquatics :D i got 5 tarantulas from them and all seem healthy

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
small world im from niles and i bet the pet store your talkin about is exotics and aquatics :D i got 5 tarantulas from them and all seem healthy
Yup. That's the one. I used to go to their store when i t was still in Indiana. But they can't sell tarantulas in St. Joseph county to my understanding. Possibly why they moved.

Good to see another local.

Dustin

Arachnopeon
i havent been there in a few days is there any pink toes left? or anything else thats new?

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i havent been there in a few days is there any pink toes left? or anything else thats new?
There were still two in there. One didn't look like it was doing too well. They have a large P. murinus, a P. lugardi, a small P. murinus, and a G. rosea as far as T's go.

Dustin

Arachnopeon
that bigger P. murinus has been there for awile i bought one and right after that one took its place same with the sling(been there for a bit) the male rosea i bought from there just molted into a mature male the other night it was really cool

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i love them :8o and i think that i will have it next on my list:clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: :) -- phil