A. Avicularia sling after molt care

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
My 2 A. Avicularia slings have now both molted for the first time in my care, being the first arboral slings that I am raising. I am keeping them in a pill jar, as seen on the attached pictures, which should still be adequate to their size until the next molt. Prior to constructing their molt hammocks, they did not web at all and ate quite well (I fed them pre-killed B. lateralis roaches). So in the current state with all the webbing, I will have to destroy at least some of it, so I can properly feed them again, once they are ready.

What are your experiences with raising A. Avicularia slings? Did you remove all the webbing, or only as much as needed? Because of the size of the enclosure, I am also very reluctant with watering and only ever added a few droplets with a pipette. Thank you for your inputs!

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Experiences-- LOTS be more specific.

I do whatever makes it easier for the cricet to reach the T on its own. Sometimes after the canopy is laid out etc, crix and Ts can become roommates, and crix dies before it's dinner. Ts are ambush predators. They aren't hunters in the strictest of terms, eg like a lion.

Adding water via dish and drop wise is best. Many Avics won't use a dish, or stop using it. I monitor the size of my Avics' abdomens daily.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Experiences-- LOTS be more specific.

I do whatever makes it easier for the cricet to reach the T on its own. Sometimes after the canopy is laid out etc, crix and Ts can become roommates, and crix dies before it's dinner. Ts are ambush predators. They aren't hunters in the strictest of terms, eg like a lion.

Adding water via dish and drop wise is best. Many Avics won't use a dish, or stop using it. I monitor the size of my Avics' abdomens daily.
Thank you for the input! One of the slings opened the webbing on its own today and roamed around the enclosure. I will try to feed it live prey later. Molt was over a week ago for this one and the fangs are black.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People think they need to open webbing to get a T out. They are capable of doing it on their own, they don't help from humans.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I have never had to remove webbing personally. Only raised C Versicolor myself. No avics in my life. Not my thing I guess