A.Avicularia question

soulreaver_x01

Arachnopeon
ok,my gf bought a pink toe from a pet store.i set a 10 gallon tank upright,and put the fake tree inside...he/she has a wonderfull little hammock in the tree..this is my first climber,so stupid question,(shes worried not me)my gf wants to know how is it going to get out of its web to eat??i told her if its hungry,the cricket will dissappear.someone please explain this to her,lol..i like my little diggers better{D {D

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine just drop down, grab the food and haul it up{D, no problem there. And I certainly don't have to worry about crickets or roaches climbing up to the Ts:}

---Jen

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All T's get in their hides and webbed homes because they feel safe. They know they have to leave the hide to search for food. It will leave it's hide and search for food when it's hungry. If it's not hungry, it would not risk possible danger by leaving home. They don't need to eat a lot so be patient. Besides, the cricket will climb and probably run into the T sooner or later. The only thing that I would have a concern about is the size of the enclosure. That's a pretty big home for a four inch T. A terrestrail would have a better go at a 10 gallon because for them, it's not 3 demensional like an arboreal. That's a lot of space for such a small T.

Last edited:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't worry, pinktoes can get out of any web they weave, anywhere they choose to make an exit. Your baby can get to anywhere in the tank she wants, and pretty quickly too if the need arises.
She will go hunting when she is hungry, and believe me, she will find her meals with no problems. Plus if her cage is set up as it sounds the crickets can climb as well.
All of my pinktoes eat very well, not one of the nine have ever starved. Congratulations on the choice, pinktoes are great T's and fun to watch. Welcome to the boards and the addiction, it won't be long before you will want another.
One more thing, she really does not need a 10 gallon aquarium, a 5 gallon turned on its short side with climbing bark and possibly some fake plants is more than enough room.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of the coolest things I have viewed so far is when avis strike, they hover high, wait til the crix get close, and then DROP several inches to wrestle the crix. This is so cool, my A avi, A versicolor, and A beceogi all do it, my A minatrix is in a small container and has yet to POUNCE{D

My A versicolor spends the most time in his sling in between meals, however the A biceogi, A avi, and A minatrix spend alot of time out of their hammocks/webs.

Good luck with your lil tree T':)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our A. avic female literally catches the crickets as they fall in - before they can even hit the ground. On the other hand, if she isn't hungry, they may cruise around until that night but she will eat them. Yours will eat when she is ready.