A. Avicularia, is this enough ventilation for a sling?

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Also, should I add some sort of water bowl? Maybe a water bottle cap? So far I've been using a hypodermic needle to inject water under the dry substrate to introduce some humidity.

Attachments

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I would go searching for a taller enclosure with a water dish if you can fit one in. If sticking with that container I would add a few more holes and a water dish. Humidity is far reptiles, tarantulas, not at all, especially Avics.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
1. No tarantula needs humidity, especially this one.
2. Stop reading care sheets, they’re wrong but you’re in the right place now :)
3.Taller enclosure with just a water bottle cap will be fine for water and u can add more stuff at the top like fake foliage.
4. Have ventilation on the top and sides of new enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
That's not enough ventilation by far.

Tarantulas need to drink, like most other animals, they can't take up 'humidity' from the air.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
it is probably enough, but i always do much more than that because i would rather be safe than sorry. Also as @PanzoN88 mentioned, a taller enclosure would be nice. A water dish should be supplied if it can fit into the envlosure

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
If you are absolutely dead set on using that container, there needs to be more ventilation holes in the two sides that don't have them as well as some in the lid. Stuffy air can kill an Avic.

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
If you are absolutely dead set on using that container, there needs to be more ventilation holes in the two sides that don't have them as well as some in the lid. Stuffy air can kill an Avic.
I'll probably change the enclosure, what does it need holes in the lid? I had heard that making a ton of holes in the sides allowed cross ventilation, and that holes in the lid would ruin that.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's not enough ventilation by far.

Tarantulas need to drink, like most other animals, they can't take up 'humidity' from the air.
does not humidity slow the rate which tarantulas lose water? by your logic, any tarantula can be kept bone dry with a water dish. i dont think some species would survive, let alone thrive..

@tkid02 some certainly do to do more than scrape by in an enclosure.

boina

Lady of the mites
does not humidity slow the rate which tarantulas lose water? by your logic, any tarantula can be kept bone dry with a water dish. i dont think some species would survive, let alone thrive..

@tkid02 some certainly do to do more than scrape by in an enclosure.
I was specifically replying to the rather weird watering arrangements of the OP, as in no water dish and injecting water under the substrate to increase humidity. Do you think that's a good arrangement?

All I was saying is a tarantula needs some kind of access to drinking water, humidity isn't enough. I'm not sure what kind of other 'logic' you saw in my post.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I was specifically replying to the rather weird watering arrangements of the OP, as in no water dish and injecting water under the substrate to increase humidity. Do you think that's a good arrangement?
i spray water with a syringe on webbing and substrate for small avics. i think his set up will work. but dry with a dish would work much better.

boina

Lady of the mites
i spray water with a syringe on webbing and substrate for small avics. i think his set up will work. but dry with a dish would work much better.
Yes, you spray on the substrate, not under. And see my edit above.

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'll probably change the enclosure, what does it need holes in the lid? I had heard that making a ton of holes in the sides allowed cross ventilation, and that holes in the lid would ruin that.
It just dries out moist substrate faster, which is important with avics. Both of mine had holes at the top of their enclosures. Maybe that was me just being too paranoid with airflow though. ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes, you spay on the substrate, not under. And see my edit above.
ah, I thought you were trying to say humidity is useless and pays no role. nevermind. i agree. there are certainly other options than water dishes, but the effect is the same.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think that set up is fine. just add a small water dish. i raise some specimens quite similarly.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, humidity isnt relevant...this long held belief that its needed has likely killed more avics than all other causes combined. If an avic needed humidity, they would live on the ground, under things where things stay damp....instead they live in trees, which are dried by winds quickly, even following rains.

The enclosure needs more clutter up high....the height is fine as long as its a second to 4th instar, it just needs alterations and a water dish.

I disagree with the consensus here on ventilation....what you have is more than adequate...thats more venting than i probably have on any sling avic enclosure....and i currently have abuut 125 of them.

Many people take ventilation to an unnecessary .extreme....albiet with good reason.

Last edited:

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Yeah, humidity isnt relevant...this long held belief that its needed has likely killed more avics than all other causes combined. If an avic needed humidity, they would live on the ground, under things where things stay damp....instead they live in trees, which are dried by winds quickly, even following rains.

The enclosure needs more clutter up high....the height is fine as long as its a second to 4th instar, it just needs alterations and a water dish.

I disagree with the consensus here on ventilation....what you have is more than adequate...thats more venting than i probably have on any sling avic enclosure....and i currently have abuut 125 of them.

Many people take ventilation to an unnecessary .extreme....albiet with good reason.
I appreciate the advice. I will add a water dish. Could I use dried up pieces of sphagnum? Maybe some fake leaves?