A. avicularia (cribs)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Questions to the happy keepers of avics:

1. What set up(s) do you have?
2. How does your T have it arranged?
3. What's the humidity level you keep it at?

My guy is still roaming around - this is day 2 in its new crib.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I glued cork bark in my Avicularia avicularia cage and I use vermiculite as substrate. Since I dont pay a lot of attention to humidity I'm not sure what the % is but I just moisten the substrate evry now an again. Here is a picture of my set up for my Psalmopoeus cambridgei as it is like my Avicularia avicularia enclosers.

Attachments

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
Well I glued cork bark in my Avicularia avicularia cage \
Hey, JWB-

What kind of glue do you use? I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Dario

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have mine in beaniebaby containers

I have the containers upside down, the tall ones, so that the container LID is actually what holds my substrate. I dont have to worry about messing up their webs when I open it, this way.
I glued corkbark in two corners.I used a soldering iron to melt small airholes along all four sides and a few through the top. I mist the inside occasionally.
My T's have each put up great webbing, tube style, nowhere near the corkbark for my Cinnamon Avic. and my versicolor has a big tangled mess, utilizing the cork bark.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have mine in split aquarium set-ups, I keep about 2-3" of substrate and keep it moist. The humidity level never goes below 70%, I try to keep it closer to 80%. I do this by misting them 2-3 times per week. I have cork bark or fake leaves in with them to attach their webs to.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by D-Man
Hey, JWB-

What kind of glue do you use? I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Dario
On plastic you can use hot glue but on glass you have to use silicone as the hot glue does not stick well. My Psalmopoeus cambridgei hides in between the cork bark and the pet pal and seems very happy.

Attachments

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by jwb121377
On plastic you can use hot glue but on glass you have to use silicone as the hot glue does not stick well. My Psalmopoeus cambridgei hides in between the cork bark and the pet pal and seems very happy.
Is that an exuvium to the left of the spider? Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try the silicone to put the bark pieces on the walls. Avi (its name) does not seem to like the bark leaned against the walls.

Peace, Dario

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep that is the exuvium of the tarantula., and if you look close at the tarantula you can tell the fangs are white and soft still. Later on today I'll post a picture of the pinktoe encloser since it is a little diffrent.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Kritter keeper on its end

Originally posted by bodc21
my avic avic setup
I was gonna try that, but there's too many vents on the Lg. keeper. Rapunzel said that Michaels (fabric store) has beanie baby cases for cheap. I'll try that with my next arboreal. Thanks for the pic!

Dario

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that an exuvium to the left of the spider? Thanks for your help. I'm gonna try the silicone to put the bark pieces on the walls. Avi (its name) does not seem to like the bark leaned against the walls.

Peace, Dario
Dario, Home Depot and OSH have "aquarium" silicone that I have used to silicone cork bark to glass, hot glue may not be strong enough if you want to stick a slab of cork bark. if you use silicone it may take up to a week for the fumes to dissapear, let your nose be your guide.
Ed

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
left to right:
small plastic container from Michael's Craft stores-note the smaller part of the container is used as the bottom for a. versicolor. a silk plant leaf is hanging from the top and the ling hangs out up there, no worries about them doing a runner when you open for cleaning, feeding, etc.

beanie baby size plastic container from Michael's-used for larger lings. there is an unknown 3" t in this container (it was sold to me as a g. pulchra, but it is not a pulchra) it needs to be rehoused into a kritter keeper soon which will be easy, just put the old beanie baby case in the new kritter keeper and let the t come out at its leisure.

1 gallon plastic rubbermaid type plastic jar with a screw on lid from smart n final. these are used for adult female a. versicolors. I drill a 2" hole in the lid and hot glue microscreening in the hole for ventilation. remember that ventilation is just as important if not more so than humidity for avics.
Ed

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here you go the Avic's cage, it is a spnapware container with cork bark hot glued to it.

Attachments

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
left to right:
small plastic container from Michael's Craft stores-note the smaller part of the container is used as the bottom for a. versicolor.
Ed
Hey, Ed-

Is that a custom-made T shelf in the background? I need to plan a shelving system soon - my desk is not gonna work soon. I like your cages. Thanks!

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, Ed-

Is that a custom-made T shelf in the background? I need to plan a shelving system soon - my desk is not gonna work soon. I like your cages. Thanks!
yes, I custom made the shelving out of kiln dried 2x4's I got at home depot and white melamine shelving. the top of the 2x4's are rabbited so that the melamine top is flush with the top of the 2x4's, looks nicer that way. from the front of each shelf there are no visible fasteners. I used 2.5" deck screws to hold the 2x4's together. the melamine shelves float, and are not secured. each shelf unit is 5' tall by 5' long by 18" deep with three shelves. I need to reconfigure and make new and longer shelves as I have run out of room. the shelving I made is probably way overkill for the t's, but originally were designed to hold large heavy glass herp enclosures.
Ed

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Small plastic spice jar on it's side with plenty of ventilation.

Tiny amount of peat substrate, and a chunk of cork bark stuck to the base. The Avic only uses the bark as an anchor point - it's web is all stuck to the side of the tank.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And a picture might be handy - first time I've forgotten to do that :rolleyes:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Here are my Avicularia setups:

A. versicolor- She's about 2" now. I have her in a glass terrarium that measures 6"x14"x16" (the last measurement is tall). She has lots of plastic plants in it, and lots of room to climb.

A. metallica- She's about 5" now. I keep this one in an x-large pet-pal (8"x14"x8"). There's one piece of driftwood, and a vine. She's built a web connecting them.

A. avicularia- I don't recomend this at all. I have five A. avics in a 55 gallon terrarium (2'x4'x3'). There are countless hides and all are doing great. Again, I don't recomend this.

Hope I was at least a little helpful ;)

-Bryan

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Cool!

Thanks to everyone! You guys are awesome!

Peace, Dario