A. avicularia concerns (pls. help )

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just bought a A. avic last Sat. night. This is my first Arboreal T.

Its in a large Aquatic Gardens Terrarium. I put some silk plants in , w/ two water dishes. Temp. is 80, Humidity is 80%.

It seems kinda lethargic and pretty much hangs out on the substrate.

When I pick it up it walks from hand to hand with no problems.It actually moves pretty fast, yet when I put it back, it just lays down and does'nt move. Sometimes it has its butt up and its face in the dirt.

It not eating yet , and its abdomen seems a little small, compaired to some of the pictures I looked at on this site.

I've searched old posts for help, but most of them are on how well the T's are doing.

What do you think?

Ernie

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont know if this is related but, my G. rosea used to put his face in the substrate with his butt in the air.....i determined the substrate was too moist/humid...since i quit misting and getting the substrate wet he hasnt done it....before, when i misted regularly he would frequently do it.....here is a link to my page with some pics of him "doing it"
Weird Behavior

this was before i read up on my spider and found out what types of humidity it liked/needed and bought a hygrometer...

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hey ernie

Ernie make sure the Avic gets some ventilation as stagnant air isnt good for them.
PS. I emailed you can you get back to me

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The temp and humidity are where the caresheet says..
It does have some little white patches on a couple of its knees. I thought this is pet shop wear and tear. Its book lungs look clear.

Ern

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
def. avic.

Hey T, sounds like great conditions, what you may be seeing is a defensive display, avics are known to rub their butt on you if they feel threatened, trying to put some hair on you! This sounds like a variation of what some spiders do ; they sometimes will hold their butt up high in a threat posture. I also have a Avic., they can be very shy and skittish, maybe you should try to leave him in the cage for awhile , no handling, this should help him get acclimated to his new home and calm down and eat. Let us know your progress.

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i wouldn't worry about it too much yet....
It's taken a couple of my pinktoes a month or more to acclimated to their new home and to build a nice web.

once they web they will act normal again....

you do of course have a nice piece of bark or cardboard in there for it to climb, right?

other than that, sounds ok... don't worry too much.... keep an eye on the white by the legs and if it grows or gets worse in any way... re-post....
might just disappear w/ a molt though.