a. avic (water)

soopa1

Arachnopeon
need ideas on how to get my a.avic water. it never goes on the ground to the dish,and it doesnt have a web to mist. i usually just must the corkbark,but thats getting old. any suggestions?:?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have seen some folks get pretty creative by attaching the water dish to something off the ground.

Atrax

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big is your Avic?

I still mist my 3" A. versicolor even though it has built its own web retreat that filled the entire top of her container. I have taken a razor blade and cut a small slit in the side of it and use a small syringe to inject water into its retreat, which curiously has a knack for holding water. It drinks from that water everytime.

On a side note - This same A versicolor has started doing something kinda odd. For the last two weeks I have been placing its container (small round KK) on my desk and removing the lid for the entire day. As I said the web fills the entire top of it just below the rim, but 5 or 6 times a day it will emerge from its web to stroll around ontop of the web in the open. It doesn't even try to scale down the sides yet. Just touches with its feet and then just sits for prolly an hour or so, then goes back into her retreat. Today I decided to try something. As she sat with her front legs hanging over the edge, I took my syringe with a droplet of water squeezed out the end a bit (hard to try to explain but the surface tension keeps it from becoming a drip) and gently offered it a drink. It jumped at first, like I startled it, then it leaned forward and drank right off of the tip of the syringe!!! It was hard to keep still and try to push small amounts of water out of the thing, but it worked. She got her drink, turned and went back into her retreat without any fuss at all. I am going to try to repeat the experiment again a few times just to see if she reacts the same...

soopa1

Arachnopeon
its about 2-2 1/2. i have an eyedropper and my avic does the same thing. ill drop some water on the corkbark and it will come up and drink.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought my versicolor didn't use her waterdish too, but a few weeks ago I was up late at night watching tv in my room. I looked over to check on the spiders and at that moment the versi ran down and began drinking, it drank for about a minute and then speeded back up again. So unless you watch your spider all night long, you'll never know if it is using the dish or not. If the spider is thirsty I think it will actively seek out water. That said, I do still mist my versis web, so that it won't go thirsty, the dish is there if it wants more.