A. avic- two legs curled slightly?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I've had Yeva (A.avic) for 2 weeks.

She/he has a DLS of 2 inches. I keep her in the same room and area with my 2 other Ts. She has yet to web, and she only ever hangs out on the walls of her enclosure. I have her in a deli container (slightly bigger than a 32 oz) with many small holes (made with a nail and a toothpic) for ventilation on the sides and the lid. She is also provided a water dish, vertical cork bark, and some plastic foliage. (Sorry for a lack of a photo. My camera is misbehaving...)
All has seemed fine...BUT I went in the T room to turn the space heater off (no central heat...one heck of a cold day in TN too), and Yeva was on the walls and had only 2 of her legs slightly curled under, which was pretty alarming...The room was probably 80ish degrees..

I lightly misted the opposite side of her enclosure, and sure enough, she is now hanging out on the misted wall!

Is misting something I should be doing regularly? As I stated above, she always has a full water dish. Part of the sub is a little damp because of spilled water.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
A photo would really help, but remember that Ts can contort in the most strange positions.

Dry sub with water dish sounds fine. 2 weeks is not a lot of time for the T to get used to the new enclosure, give her time.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Some people don't like misting, some people do. I always make sure my Avics' dishes are full and I moisten the substrate a little, usually by overflowing it. I've found that dribbing a little water onto their webs/down their walls is more efficient than misting because it dries up so quickly when you just mist them. Winter is tough for keeping moisture levels up so I generally keep everyone slightly more damp than I usually would. Just don't let it get too humid and stuffy! :)

She also may have just been grooming :D

Leila

Arachnobaron
A photo would really help, but remember that Ts can contort in the most strange positions.

Dry sub with water dish sounds fine. 2 weeks is not a lot of time for the T to get used to the new enclosure, give her time.
I know a photo is preferred. I wish I could figure out the issue with my phone's camera...grrr...
Alas, not being able to provide a photo is why I got a bit verbose in attempting to describe the enclosure in the original post.

Yeva seems to be ok now. She is basking in the misted water droplets as I type this.

cold blood

Staff member
She also may have just been grooming :D
It is almost certainly just grooming.

Misting can be done, but its not always needed...But a few times a month isn't a bad idea just for an easy opportunity to drink.

Leila

Arachnobaron
It is almost certainly just grooming.

Misting can be done, but its not always needed...But a few times a month isn't a bad idea just for an easy opportunity to drink.
Grooming! Go figure! Lol.
::fingers crossed::

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
I had problems with one of my avics, constantly shoving signs of dehydration even with a full water dish. It just didn't want to go down there to drink. I moved the water dish. Hotglued it to the side of the enclosure, can see it drinking sometimes. Never had any problems after that.

Leila

Arachnobaron
By the way, tonight is feeding night; and Yeva is a rockstar! She currently has one tiny cric and one medium cric in her fangs at the same time.

I feel soooo proud!!! :embarrassed::embarrassed:

And my MM G. porteri is still kicking! He snagged a large cricket within 10 mins and is happily munching away. :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i mist lightly after molts till they start feeding again. i dont do it regularly.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I prefer not to mist. Mine have a water dish and they know how to use it. :D

Leila

Arachnobaron
Noted. :)

I love that old Nintendo-type background music in the video! Hahahah! :)
I am used to seeing my terrestrial Ts groom- not at all accustomed to seeing an arboreal (on the walls) partaking in that behavior.

No worries. The A. avic devoured her share of crickets tonight. I am pretty sure everything is just fine. :embarrassed:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I always find my avics in weird poses. It's like they were grooming themselves and decided "Oh, that's comfortable! I'll stay like this for an hour."

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Leila

I've kept a lot of Avics over time, yours was likely grooming as others mentioned. See below as well. I've had many Avics that use their bowl down below, and seemingly "forget" to use it, particularly post-molt. I don't mean the period of time for when they are tired due to molt. I mean, they don't drink, and over time grow dangerously thin. There are Avics that only sporadically drink from a dish, and some that rarely if ever at all.

See above

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I can't give advice off your experiences man. I can only advise based on my own. I've never had what you describe happen to any Avics I've kept and I've never needed to spray any of my Ts. Again, mine have water dishes and they all have used them. If that changes in the future then I will note that change when answering a post. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't give advice off your experiences man. I can only advise based on my own. I've never had what you describe happen to any Avics I've kept and I've never needed to spray any of my Ts. Again, mine have water dishes and they all have used them. If that changes in the future then I will note that change when answering a post. :)
Hahah, I don't expect you to provide info beyond your own experience, that's unrealistic to some degree. I brought it up in case the both of you weren't aware, nothing more. Quite a few people think a bowl is fine, that isn't always the case with Avics.

My situation used to be like yours, and then some new Avic slings were raised by me ;)

I don't spray mine, I add in water drop wise as well. As you may know, they don't like being misted, their legs curl in.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hahah, I don't expect you to provide info beyond your own experience, that's unrealistic to some degree.
There are a lot of people on here who do. They parrot out stuff they have heard other people say without ever encountering it themselves. A lot of times on here we tend to try to condense the proper way to keep a species down to one way. Then when we get a "something went wrong and I followed your advise to the letter" post we chalk it up sometimes they just don't make it.

I was just pointing out how often two keepers can have really different experiences that both work. We likely keep a lot of the same species slightly different.

If I had to guess one big factor on my Ts is I run 3 big humidifiers throughout my house. I'm prone to dehydration so it helps with that and helps me sleep. Most people likely do not. I wouldn't doubt there are a lot of differences like that for a lot of different keepers. That is why I think it's helpful when different people post their experiences instead of the generic "board approved" message.

I've seen you post similar info before about Avics not drinking and it'll be used if I need it. Multiple view points are always helpful.

Last edited: