A. avic- two legs curled slightly?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are a lot of people on here who do. They parrot out stuff they have heard other people say without ever encountering it themselves. A lot of times on here we tend to try to condense the proper way to keep a species down to one way. Then when we get a "something went wrong and I followed your advise to the letter" post we chalk it up sometimes they just don't make it.

I was just pointing out how often two keepers can have really different experiences that both work. We likely keep a lot of the same species slightly different.

If I had to guess one big factor on my Ts is I run 3 big humidifiers throughout my house. I'm prone to dehydration so it helps with that and helps me sleep. Most people likely do not. I wouldn't doubt there are a lot of differences like that for a lot of different keepers. That is why I think it's helpful when different people post their experiences instead of the generic "board approved" message.

I've seen you post similar info before about Avics not drinking and it'll be used if I need it. Multiple view points are always helpful.

The worst ones are the people who are inexperienced and quote as the gospel, and they don't have any experience. NOW, it's OK to do that IF you cite your source. For example, one can mention anything I write, but it's helpful to the reader if said person cites me, that way the reader can get the info straight from me if they have questions.

Yep I mention my Avic issues because we all say "drop a bowl down there it will be fine", that's not the truth though. It may not. They aren't dogs that go to the water all the time. I've had too many Avics that if I left them up to their own devices, I think they would have died post-molt as I described above.

Leila

Arachnobaron
It is always nice to see more than one suggestion/tip here. :) @Trenor and @viper69, your suggestions and experiences are both appreciated. :) Thank you two for taking the time to respond.
I intially pondered texting a mentor instead of making this post. However, I decided the post might help future T hobby beginners; thus, I went ahead with my inquiry in the forum.
Anyway- thanks to every one of you who responded. As it turns out, I was simply being an overly concerned newbie. Lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
However, I decided the post might help future T hobby beginners
I'd like to think so, but honestly I doubt it. A lot of people treat the forum as a fast food restaurant, instead of actually searching on the forum, they just put in their order and expect/hope people respond with no consideration for other people's time.

I used to spoon feed people info. Now I tell them about the marvels of Google. Then after doing the research if they have questions, come back and ask, happy to answer!

Leila

Arachnobaron
I'd like to think so, but honestly I doubt it. A lot of people treat the forum as a fast food restaurant, instead of actually searching on the forum, they just put in their order and expect/hope people respond with no consideration for other people's time.

I used to spoon feed people info. Now I tell them about the marvels of Google. Then after doing the research if they have questions, come back and ask, happy to answer!
True. But some of us do actually utilize the search function. :) I only ask questions after having done some research of my own.

I know what ya mean though. In the past 2 months, I have witnessed Many a post made by people who clearly did zero research. And worse: I have seen stubborn folks asking questions, obtaining viable answers to the issue in question--- only to hot-headedly refuse the provided help... :meh:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
True. But some of us do actually utilize the search function. :) I only ask questions after having done some research of my own.

I know what ya mean though. In the past 2 months, I have witnessed Many a post made by people who clearly did zero research. And worse: I have seen stubborn folks asking questions, obtaining viable answers to the issue in question--- only to hot-headedly refuse the provided help... :meh:
Hot-headedly refuse the provided help?
Lol, you should have been around here a year ago. It was much worse. Threads ending in name calling and shut down by moderators. I'm so glad that no longer is the case!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't mist, but use a syringe for all water refills (two water dishes for each Avic). On new containers I put one water dish high and the other one low at the substrate. I also dribble some water on the enclosure walls (but not on the avic) once per week just to give a little spike on the humidity.

Jeff23

Arachnolord

I was able to find fast food restaurants on Google. So they can still get past your system.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was able to find fast food restaurants on Google. So they can still get past your system.
I know you're trying to be funny, I have no idea what the joke is. This one didn't translate off the screen, nor do I have a system.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I know some people do, it's evident in their words. The latter half of what you said happens here a lot, people just looking for others to agree w/them, not real help.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I know you're trying to be funny, I have no idea what the joke is. This one didn't translate off the screen, nor do I have a system.
I was just being silly.:wacky:

But I have never understood why people tell others to use Google (not that I have seen you do this in a post). It is much better to just not post at all rather than having some people view me as as troll. When I don't have lots of spare time and see a thread where I don't have the time to respond I usually just find responses that I like and click the appropriate rating icons.

Sometimes Google searches come up with all kinds of extra garbage. For new hobbyists, getting the right search terms can sometimes be a challenge. This is one area where reading The Tarantula Keeper's Guide was useful for me even though much of the book is no longer accurate. It does give a new hobbyist a boost on terminology and areas needing investigation.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
For new hobbyists, getting the right search terms can sometimes be a challenge.
To me this is a big factor. When you don't know a lot about a new topic it's hard to know what keywords to look for. For me it's always better for someone to post their problem. If it's been answered before have someone link them to that or drop the answer again if they have time. I hear people say "Do your research." but to me going to an online forum and asking questions is a good way to do that.

If you're limited on time just keep going and someone else will post to help the OP out. This is a forum for fun and information. If you don't have time to post let someone else field the question. It's rare that there isn't 5 or 6 people chomping at the bit to answer questions on here.

Leila

Arachnobaron
To me this is a big factor. When you don't know a lot about a new topic it's hard to know what keywords to look for. For me it's always better for someone to post their problem. If it's been answered before have someone link them to that or drop the answer again if they have time. I hear people say "Do your research." but to me going to an online forum and asking questions is a good way to do that.

If you're limited on time just keep going and someone else will post to help the OP out. This is a forum for fun and information. If you don't have time to post let someone else field the question. It's rare that there isn't 5 or 6 people chomping at the bit to answer questions on here.
I know you guys aren't referring to my post per se; but yeah, sometimes searches produce odd or troubling results. That is partially why I was so distraught when I initially created this thread. Lol. Every single result I got was akin to "death curl." Add that to the fact that A. avics (Sometimes) seem to be difficult to keep for new hobbyists, and what you have is one nervous keeper.

However, it is made very apparent that some people are slightly on the oblivious or careless side. Of course, every one should be able to ask questions. :) The only thing that gets me is when I see someone who has experience lend some advice to the inexperienced, and the newbie says stuff like, "That is not a big deal." But it clearly is a big deal....
(Just my 2 cents :embarrassed::shy:)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I know you guys aren't referring to my post per se; but yeah, sometimes searches produce odd or troubling results. That is partially why I was so distraught when I initially created this thread. Lol. Every single result I got was akin to "death curl." Add that to the fact that A. avics (Sometimes) seem to be difficult to keep for new hobbyists, and what you have is one nervous keeper.

However, it is made very apparent that some people are slightly on the oblivious or careless side. Of course, every one should be able to ask questions. :) The only thing that gets me is when I see someone who has experience lend some advice to the inexperienced, and the newbie says stuff like, "That is not a big deal." But it clearly is a big deal....
(Just my 2 cents :embarrassed::shy:)
You are right and especially on Avicularia / Ybyrapora / Caribena.

People do contradict each other on how they handle their husbandry. It is sometimes important that you don't mix parts of different methods/opinions together. As an example some people will provide higher moisture and higher ventilation versus others who add less moisture and use less ventilation. For a new hobbyist it is easy to jumble answers from different threads together and create a bad mix.

Never assume. Ask.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was just being silly.:wacky:

But I have never understood why people tell others to use Google (not that I have seen you do this in a post).
I have told people in the past, and as recently as a day ago.

In short, I tell people to use Google to enable them to help their Ts. Teach a man to fish expression applies here.

Longer version:

I tell people to use Google because it indexes AB (and I generally tell people that too). I've shown people how to search in the Google search bar so it specifically spits out AB ONLY results. They will get far more answers, and in some cases a great diversity of helpful information from many people who have several decades of experience. They don't know the latter part, but I do because I know some of those people who are no longer here, but their answers remain on the net/forum.

A couple years ago someone posted an incredibly basic question, something along the lines of "Do Ts have 8 legs" in terms of simplicity. The person could have found the answer in less than a second. The person even posted exactly what search terms they used and "couldn't find anything after searching for such a long time". @cold blood MAY remember me doing the below.

Well I KNEW that person was a liar, because I took the exact search terms, c/p'd them into Google search bar and find answers in less than 0.1 seconds (Google posts the time it takes to search).

I c/p'd the results and the length of time, demonstrating 2 things

1. The person was a liar
2. It's faster to find a ton of information on your own than asking a question and waiting for someone to respond, HOPING that said person actually has knowledge/experience to help.

I don't expect a person to know what I know about XYZ, BUT I do expect a person to exercise the brain between their ears and use/apply some BASIC critical thinking skills. It's not an unreasonable expectation at all.

If the OWNER won't search for it/doesn't care enough to do so, why should I or anyone else?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It's not easy when you show up to a new place to know who the experts are... I've read a lot of things on this great big internet by "Experts" some of which goes directly against what is considered correct on here. So if you read a different thing elsewhere how do you know what is right? Some random dude posts something and then what? Is he the expert?

My point is expecting everyone who comes here to immediately (and blindly) accept everything they are told is unrealistic.

I've read a lot of different sites, blog, forums with lots of people who have been keeping Ts successfully for a long time. A lot of these people keep them differently and it's worked. If a person in Arizona kept some Ts the way I do they'd likely have problems with dehydration. I've heard helpful and not so helpful information on lots of sites.

In the end I read both and pick out what I think will work best for me. I get to know the people who post/blog/etc and decide for myself what their advice is worth. Then I try to help others with their questions when I can.

A newbie that just got here hasn't had time to do that. So what should they do?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
A couple years ago someone posted an incredibly basic question, something along the lines of "Do Ts have 8 legs" in terms of simplicity.
On reading that thread my response would have been to chuckle, type YES, and hit reply. Then move on to something else amused at my fellow humans.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
On reading that thread my response would have been to chuckle, type YES, and hit reply. Then move on to something else amused at my fellow humans.

HAH..I've done that too, it's funny and helpful!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's not easy when you show up to a new place to know who the experts are... I've read a lot of things on this great big internet by "Experts" some of which goes directly against what is considered correct on here. So if you read a different thing elsewhere how do you know what is right? Some random dude posts something and then what? Is he the expert?

My point is expecting everyone who comes here to immediately (and blindly) accept everything they are told is unrealistic.

I've read a lot of different sites, blog, forums with lots of people who have been keeping Ts successfully for a long time. A lot of these people keep them differently and it's worked. If a person in Arizona kept some Ts the way I do they'd likely have problems with dehydration. I've heard helpful and not so helpful information on lots of sites.

In the end I read both and pick out what I think will work best for me. I get to know the people who post/blog/etc and decide for myself what their advice is worth. Then I try to help others with their questions when I can.

A newbie that just got here hasn't had time to do that. So what should they do?
Written like a true Expert.....:D:p:cool::rofl:

I couldn't resist.

I couldn't agree more re: when one is new, who do you trust if you don't know any serious breeders etc.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I am with you on this. It is not my goal to point out whether someone is lazy, ignorant, stupid, or whatever. I would either type YES, give them a link to tarantula facts, or never reply and move on (probably the later item if I actually think they are lazy). I would only try to make them to be a fool if I saw them trying to make me or others as a fool.

But I do like the idea of directing people to Google to do searches rather than using the search function in this forum. Google has far more ability to discriminate search options by include, exclude, by date, by site, by country, by language, etc. etc. etc.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
If someone posts a question/comment that you feel is pointless or ignorant, all you have to do is scroll down until it's out of view, and your life will suddenly improve:cat:. The most pointless thing is to get worked up over it.