A Avic teardown and remodel

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Had my avic for almost a year now and am looking to tear down thoural clean and remoble her enclosure will be the first time I've had her out since I got her any little bits of advice to help this go a little smoother would be greatly apriciated

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Had my avic for almost a year now and am looking to tear down thoural clean and remoble her enclosure will be the first time I've had her out since I got her any little bits of advice to help this go a little smoother would be greatly apriciated
You don't need to clean it's cage unless it's really dirty. Is it due for a rehouse? That and if it's dirty are the only times I'll recommend to remove it from it's enclosure since it's usually a bit stressful for the animal.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
Well its enclosure is more than large enufe for it to live out its life I need to change sub straight and would like to rearrange and better place plants bark excetra I guess I could change substrait and move some thing s with out taking g her out I just don't want to frighten her and have her bolt that's why I thought it might be less stressful for the both of us to just pull her out

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Well its enclosure is more than large enufe for it to live out its life I need to change sub straight and would like to rearrange and better place plants bark excetra I guess I could change substrait and move some thing s with out taking g her out I just don't want to frighten her and have her bolt that's why I thought it might be less stressful for the both of us to just pull her out
It's going to be stressful on here either way since you'll be taking her out of her enclosure.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I guess if you want to change the decor and stuff that's one thing, but no reason to change the substrate out completely unless you are switching to a different substrate. ;)

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Get yourself a 32oz deli cup for a catch cup. Cup her, lid it, do your work, put spider back. Nice and easy

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I agree with what magicmed has said but I'll add this.. It will make it easier for you to maneuver in the enclosure if you take out any pieces of wood or plants before you cup her.. Use tongues and make sure you don't bump or pin her with any of the decorations..

If you have plenty of room though just go for it.. Stay calm move slow and carefully and understand that she can move fast.. Just expect it.. Avics are fast but rarely defensive So just relax and do what you need to do .. You and the T will be fine..

Jerry

Arachnobaron
@magicmed that's what I was thinking but wanted to check im not very experienced yet and wanted to get every ones opinion on the best way to do it

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I changed my mind after seeing that pic.. No need to take the spider out at all IMO.. That enclosure is huge and you have plenty of room to work around it.. Scoop out the sub with your hand or a small cup and pile in new.. No need to bother the T..

In an enclosure that large and with you just needing to switch out the sub it shouldn't even notice you..

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@magicmed that's what I was thinking but wanted to check im not very experienced yet and wanted to get every ones opinion on the best way to do it
If you take the T out, put a hole in the bottom of your catch cup so you can push something through it to help prod the T out. It's a better method than having a hole. Avics go straight to the top of catch cups IME, and do not want to leave, particularly when scared.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
@viper69 I saw a YouTube video where the used cut off pop bottle tops so to get them out they unscrewed the cap and used a probe or gently blew in the end and the t came out

Jerry

Arachnobaron
I'm not planing on doing it tell this weekend just wanted to make sure I have everything ready to go thanks for the help guys