A. Avic question

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Hopefully I'm going to be getting a couple of A. Avics here really soon and I was wondering if their care and husbandry was the same as my versicolor? I figured it would be similar considering they share a genus, but wanted to make sure so I don't make a dumb mistake.

Basically, dry substrate, lots of clutter, good cross ventilation, "big" water dish. Is this accurate for A. Avic?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hopefully I'm going to be getting a couple of A. Avics here really soon and I was wondering if their care and husbandry was the same as my versicolor? I figured it would be similar considering they share a genus, but wanted to make sure so I don't make a dumb mistake.

Basically, dry substrate, lots of clutter, good cross ventilation, "big" water dish. Is this accurate for A. Avic?
I've never kept an arbireal (hoping to change that soon), but from hearing others that sounds about right. Although I always thought you wanted the sub to be slightly moist. If it works for your versi, it will work for your Avics.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I've never kept an arbireal (hoping to change that soon), but from hearing others that sounds about right. Although I always thought you wanted the sub to be slightly moist. If it works for your versi, it will work for your Avics.
I've actually heard a few different opinions on that actually. Some say the substrate should be slightly damp, others have said as long as you have good cross ventilation and a larger water dish it would cover the humidity needed. Personally I thought it much easier to just keep a water dish full. My versicolor has done well so far, he's a big eater haha. Spends most of his time in his Web on his fake plants, hardly ever hits the substrate unless he's after a cricket

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I've actually heard a few different opinions on that actually. Some say the substrate should be slightly damp, others have said as long as you have good cross ventilation and a larger water dish it would cover the humidity needed. Personally I thought it much easier to just keep a water dish full. My versicolor has done well so far, he's a big eater haha. Spends most of his time in his Web on his fake plants, hardly ever hits the substrate unless he's after a cricket
Oh, got it. So many say they are fragile and die very easily, but it all comes down to enclosure set up

Trenor

Arachnoprince

This sounds good and it'll work fine for Avics.
The substrate can be lightly moist or dry. The main thing to keep in mind is that there needs to be enough ventilation for the amount of moisture. You don't want it desert dry from too little water and too much ventilation nor do you want it swampy from too much water and not enough ventilation.
It requires a balance and from what I have seen most have better luck with dry substrate, water dish for moisture and vents on the side with just a few on the top to prevent condensation from building up. However, you can have moist substrate and add more ventilation and still be good.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
the only thing they cant handle is a stuffy cage with low vent. it can be moist as long as the ventilation is sufficient. dry is just the easiest way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's my SOP for all the species of Avics I've raised. I have tried also keeping the sub a bit moist, but I've noticed no difference across species, and within the same species as well (I did this A. versicolor-- moist and dry)