A.avic price question

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, i'm not good with prices, i bought my A.avic for like $10 and it was 3" a guy at a local pet store said he has 2 avic and they are $19.99 each, i have not seen them but is any A.avic wether it be 1" or 5" worth getting for $19.99?

-Mattyb

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first A. avic I got was $24.99 at DeathCo. and my second was $19.99 at a local shop I got to. Both were 3" when I got them. It just depends on what you want to pay for them. I would never pay $25 for them again though.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well i am going to the pet store today, so if the guy has them, then i will see if i can sex them. if one is female and one is male then i will most likely get the both so i can start a breeding project. tho i know avic slings are hard to take care of.

-Mattyb

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
tho i know avic slings are hard to take care of.

-Mattyb
I hate this myth. Given dry conditions, ventilation and twice weekly watering you shouldn't have any abnormal death rates. Period. I dont care anymore about public opinion or anything. I have kept a good # of avics in those vials of mine and death is so rare I dont even think about it. However I have been keeping 3 versi in your standard hobbyist vial with "lots of holes". One just up and died, took me by surprise actually to find a versi dead. I think the hobbyist vial experiment is over, off they go to Tony Vials...In fact I am negotiating with a friend who ended up with one of my vials, to make "tons"...If i can find the time
Tony

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
monantony said:
I hate this myth. Given dry conditions, ventilation and twice weekly watering you shouldn't have any abnormal death rates. Period. I dont care anymore about public opinion or anything. I have kept a good # of avics in those vials of mine and death is so rare I dont even think about it. However I have been keeping 3 versi in your standard hobbyist vial with "lots of holes". One just up and died, took me by surprise actually to find a versi dead. I think the hobbyist vial experiment is over, off they go to Tony Vials...In fact I am negotiating with a friend who ended up with one of my vials, to make "tons"...If i can find the time
Tony

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Everyone i ever talked to said that they were hard to take care of. Thanks.

-Mattyb

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
$19.99 is the Price they go for around here, But most are between 2" & 3"

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine are both also in dry conditions with 100% ventilation and a water dish. I don't mist as much as I used to (ablout 1 a week or less now) and there are no problems at all. They are both happy little poop ninjas. :D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
monantony said:
Tony
Tony,

Enlighten us please. What is a "standard hobbyist" vial and what is a "Tony" vial? I am curious as to what the differences are.

Thanks

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Tony,

Enlighten us please. What is a "standard hobbyist" vial and what is a "Tony" vial? I am curious as to what the differences are.

Thanks
yeah I'm curious too. if I remember correctly, is that the one where you make a huge hole in the cap and replace it with a screen mesh?

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Sorry!
After practically living on here for a few years, I assume people have seen it umpteen times...
Heres a link - http://www.arachnopics.com/showphot...01303719f5ff2b009df11e7&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Creepy exotics wanted me to make 100 or 200...they make rearing lots of spiderlings immensely easier...
And I usually hand out a few to friends when I am selling them stuff..
Tony
Edit : thats a 12 and 40 dram vial...12's I've abandoned, 40's work fine. 12's? maybe if you need that space difference and are raising 200 TINY spiderlings..

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, those are nice. Do you just pressure fit the screening in or do you glue it or use something else to secure it? Also, do you use metal or fiberglass screening?

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Well the lid I do in two stages (creep Exotics bought a 1.5" leather punch though)..Two stages and the 1.5" hole is perfectly centered. The screen, well...I MADE a 2.025" punch n die , nothing elaborate though. The screen fits in pretty well, but can pop out. Never bothered to melt it in. The vial BTW is shaved about .025" in height to accomodate the screen. I'm a machinist btw ;)

I just got a bunch of 40's from Creepy, I should take them to work and modify them. I pay top $ for the screen, it's stainless, from Mcmaster Carr. BUT at least I can choose from a HUGE variety of wire spacing and wire dia's...I keep it fine enought to keep flies out...$5 for about 25 vials worth of screen...
T

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That sucks... Local pet shops are rip-offs! The pet shop where I live sells them for $40 a pop!

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
got my mature male avic for USD23.34 ...not sure if its considered cheap to u guys or not..

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
monantony said:
Well the lid I do in two stages (creep Exotics bought a 1.5" leather punch though)..Two stages and the 1.5" hole is perfectly centered. The screen, well...I MADE a 2.025" punch n die , nothing elaborate though.
T
I got a bunch of canning jars from a thrift store I plan to set up the same way for any future really tiny 'lings. You have the die already and everything, but canning stuff doesnt tend to be expensive and it might be nice to let someone else do the work. :D

Gah what I wouldn't do to have access to a machinist shop sometimes though.

Last edited:

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow Tony, I had never seen you spiderling containers before. Those are pretty damn cool. Good job!

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
avics run $19.99 in georgia . sometimes more . but i would say the average price is $19.99 .

Jaymz n Dave

Arachnopeon
sounds like a fair price...tho, i paid $5 each for my group of pink toes. but that wasnt at a pet shop and we all know pet shop prices are thru the roof for almost everything.

J

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
monantony said:
Well the lid I do in two stages (creep Exotics bought a 1.5" leather punch though)..Two stages and the 1.5" hole is perfectly centered. The screen, well...I MADE a 2.025" punch n die , nothing elaborate though. The screen fits in pretty well, but can pop out. Never bothered to melt it in. The vial BTW is shaved about .025" in height to accomodate the screen. I'm a machinist btw ;)

I just got a bunch of 40's from Creepy, I should take them to work and modify them. I pay top $ for the screen, it's stainless, from Mcmaster Carr. BUT at least I can choose from a HUGE variety of wire spacing and wire dia's...I keep it fine enought to keep flies out...$5 for about 25 vials worth of screen...
T
I hate to ask a dumb Q. I didnt really understand all that... Can u tell us a way to make it in lay terms?

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen them in Petland here in NY for about $12.