A.Avic Passed on

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
My cute new A.Avic passed away sometime durring the night last night. It had shown no signs of injury, I am certin it was not injured durring transit, I am at a loss here. The poor girl, I found her curled under one of her plants. she had clear liquid comming from her mouthpart, I can only assume blood. She'd unresponsive.

This is the thrid T to die on me within a month. Two P.Pederseni slings died due to mold, I know this time around this was not the case, just doesn't seem fair I really wanted to give these guys homes and watch them grow, now I have to add another grave.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Mold? You mean DKS? Your A. Avic dying is a bit unusual. What was its legspan? Can you show us a picture of the set-up? Was there any sign of mites? Did you feed it right after it molted? What were you feeding it? Did you take out dead food? What is the substrate you are using?

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
No mold, I kept her in a container with cocnut fiber that was fresh, heat treated wood, PLENTY of ventelation. I don't know if tempature could be an issue, it did get somewhat cold in my home last night, but I've never herd of cold doing that to a T.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Getting cold will probably not kill an adult T, but definatly could be a little severe for a sling. My basement gets cold as well, I keep the heat lamp on at all times along with the space heater that is on every so often when the lamp isn't enough. Also, how much moisture do you give them and what kind of wood are you using. I had heat treated all my wood but would still mold. Make sure you are using only cork bark and maybe a little moss to hold humidity at a more consistent/natural level. Honestly, doesn't hurt to let the containers completely dry before mising them as I have had not one problem with any of my Spides. I Got 19 slings, and all doing GREAT!!!

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't throw out the sling just yet. The aviculara sp. do have a tendency to spit up water. and being all scrunched up could mean it is just getting close to a molt. If i were you i would hold out until you get a foul odor indicating death.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
No mold, I kept her in a container with cocnut fiber that was fresh, heat treated wood, PLENTY of ventelation. I don't know if tempature could be an issue, it did get somewhat cold in my home last night, but I've never herd of cold doing that to a T.
Exactly, mold. Mold can cause DKS. How cold was it? Once again, can you please show a picture of the setup?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dude, I just see it around the boards sometimes.
Thats all we need to know... Thank you for clearing that up for everyone.. You solved the riddle for the cause of DKS... :rolleyes:

To th OP... Sorry for your loss.. It happens... So dont beat yourself up over it..

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Thats all we need to know... Thank you for clearing that up for everyone.. You solved the riddle for the cause of DKS... :rolleyes:

To th OP... Sorry for your loss.. It happens... So dont beat yourself up over it..
Just trying to help. All I was doing was pointing out that mold may have caused DKS, which is what they could have died from.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vinny, sorry about your a. avic. I have two that I have raised from little slings and I just love them to pieces. Are you sure they had adequate ventilation and a good substrate? My temp stays about 78 for them and about 45-50% humidity which I think is too low a humidity but they sure are growing well.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just trying to help. All I was doing was pointing out that mold may have caused DKS, which is what they could have died from.
Snow... I know you're trying to help, but you haven't been here all that long, and, well... you're not really helping by throwing out things like that. :(

Also to the OP, I lost an A. avic last week, so I know how hard it is, and I'm really sorry for your loss. :(

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Snow... I know you're trying to help, but you haven't been here all that long, and, well... you're not really helping by throwing out things like that. :(

Also to the OP, I lost an A. avic last week, so I know how hard it is, and I'm really sorry for your loss. :(
I look at 2 months as a good achievement. But that's besides the point. Pointing out that the mold may have caused DKS can't even be hurtful at the least. The best it could do is help.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Exactly, mold. Mold can cause DKS. How cold was it? Once again, can you please show a picture of the setup?
Documentation? Dude, I just see it around the boards sometimes.
You made a statement as if you have proof to back what you said up... In fact you dont have that proof.. It is just a guess.. That is the problem..

Just because you read it here on the boards does not mean that mold causes DKS.. No one even knows what DKS is... No one knows what causes it..

Not only that.. What exactly in the OP would lead you to believe it could have been DKS?

Here is the OP again.. I see no sign of the OP hinting around to it..

My cute new A.Avic passed away sometime durring the night last night. It had shown no signs of injury, I am certin it was not injured durring transit, I am at a loss here. The poor girl, I found her curled under one of her plants. she had clear liquid comming from her mouthpart, I can only assume blood. She'd unresponsive.

This is the thrid T to die on me within a month. Two P.Pederseni slings died due to mold, I know this time around this was not the case, just doesn't seem fair I really wanted to give these guys homes and watch them grow, now I have to add another grave.
Snow.. I am not trying to bash your or nothing like that.. I am just saying there is no since in throwing around a "guess".. When there is nothing leading to your theory...

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You made a statement as if you have proof to back what you said up... In fact you dont have that proof.. It is just a guess.. That is the problem..

Just because you read it here on the boards does not mean that mold causes DKS.. No one even knows what DKS is... No one knows what causes it..

Not only that.. What exactly in the OP would lead you to believe it could have been DKS?

Here is the OP again.. I see no sign of the OP hinting around to it..

Snow.. I am not trying to bash your or nothing like that.. I am just saying there is no since in throwing around a "guess".. When there is nothing leading to your theory...
This is pretty much what I was trying to say.

/threadjack

Peace.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a note too. In this case Vinny said specifically that there was NOT any mold. The post you quoted, Snow, said "No mold" not "No, mold". I think you misunderstood.
But anyway, the important part of this thread is that we are very sorry for your loss Vinny! That is really too bad. I don't suppose there has been any change? The best of luck with all your future tarantulas.

Knight in Gale

Vinnyg253

Arachnopeon
Sorry guys, I put her back in her cage to see if she was maybe just molting, but several days passed and she hasn't moved, I plan to burry her when the weather here permits. I have herd of Sudden Avic death syndrome, she may have just passed due to that, who knows. Sad, but I am ready to move on, but will never forget one of the first Pink Toes.