A. Avic not webbing?

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had a pinktoe now for about 2.5 to 3 weeks and in all this time she's has yet to create any sort of roost with her webbing. Is this a sign that conditions aren't right or is it "natural"?

My setup is quite impressive <patting my own back here> - she's in a 5 gal aquarium tank, screen lid, ornate driftwood "tree" with faux leaves and a rock base, 50/50 mixture of natural potting soil and peat about 2 inches thick, 70-76% humidity with a air circulating pump (to simulate air current and prevent stagnation), and a 80/75 temp (day/night). I use an 11-hour light/dark cycle (enclosure is next to my scorps, so this is more or less for their comfort). <pictures in process>

She's rather mobile and though she seems more partial to the glass, she can be seen on the ground occassionally. She moves around periodically, but by no means constantly (which I perceive to be normal, judging by all the info I've read). Sadly, I haven't seen anything, anywhere, regarding behavioral traits of webbing/not webbing in their cages.

My Rosie made a beautiful mess of webbing not 1 hour after being introduced to his cage... that's why I bring this up.

Any ideas?

LCDXX

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
one more thing...

I forgot to mention that she eats very regularly and has yet to turn down a meal... so as far as environmental conditions go, she can't be affected THAT bad.

LCDXX

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
............My setup is quite impressive <patting my own back here> - she's in a 5 gal aquarium tank, screen lid, ornate driftwood "tree" with faux leaves and a rock base, 50/50 mixture of natural potting soil and peat about 2 inches thick, 70-76% humidity with a air circulating pump (to simulate air current and prevent stagnation), and a 80/75 temp (day/night). I use an 11-hour light/dark cycle ................................:)

Sounds perfect except for the air pump.
I guess I have to ask WHY do you use one?:?
You have a screen top, thats enough for air flow.
It's what most people use any way:)~including me.:)

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
Sounds perfect except for the air pump.
I guess I have to ask WHY do you use one?:?
You have a screen top, thats enough for air flow.
It's what most people use any way:)~including me.:)
I second that. Missed the part about the air pump the first time. And not only should a screen top be enough air flow, sometimes it is too much. Lots of people here cover part of their screen top to make for LESS air flow.

Also, wouldn't the air flow unnecessarily irritate the T? Mine bolt at the tiniest bit of breath or wind.

Ali

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Interesting that you should point that out.

As a matter of fact I thought it was a quirky idea to begin with until I had a few people explain to me that with they're setups (typically your basic critter keeper standing on end) will have small ocillating fans several feet away blowing back and forth to increase air circulation in stagnant rooms. The room I keep my pets in happens to be just that - STAGNANT. Rather than run a fan, however, I simply took a cheap little $10 acquarium pump and ran a hose to the top corner of the tank. I have a valve clamp that I use to adjust the pressure coming from the pump so as to keep it to a slight wisp of air - nothing major, even by Pinktoe means.

The point is that being arboreal Ts, they are used to a great deal more in terms of air currents and breezes - way moreso than any terrestrial species. With this, I can keep relatively noticeable breeze in the tank and move air appropriately in a room that gets absolutely no flow-thru in my house.

In regards to the T "not liking it", suprisingly: no. In fact we've even spotted him several times perched no more than 3-4 inches from the tube (which is not actually "in" the tank, just on the outside corner) since I put the pump on there about a week ago. Unlike my Rosie (which I hesitate to even breathe around), he doesn't shy away from it.

As for the webbing, I just wasn't sure and thought I'd ask. I tend to be more involved with scorps and have only acquired Ts through coincidence and haphazard decisions. I'm relieved that webbing varies from one individual specimen to the next... bummer, though, because I really wanted a lot of webbing with this one!

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very interesting observations, and as most of us already know, there is not a magic fomula for caring for t's. If your avic likes the air, then by golly give it the air!

I am a firm believer in experimenting and figuring out exactly what each particular specimen likes and going with it. It is amazing how differnt two specimen from the same species can be. My A. avics would both have a cow if there was any kind of breeze around them. Yours seems to actually enjoy the breeze. If my T. liked peanut butter sandwiches, I would probably give it one once in a while...:eek: (NO, I AM NOT GOING TO TRY THIS, AND YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER!! LOL)

Ali

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are right when you say that the amount of webbing varies form T' to T'. I have Avic's that made a web soon after getting into their new home and others that did not. I currently have an A. metallica that has not made any type of hide web and I have had it now for about 2 months. I figure when it's ready (or gets close to a molt) it will make itself a web. I think yours is normal and will make its web when it's ready also.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Same stuff as everyone, but:

ive got a couple avics, and one webbed like crazy, and then i've got 2 other ones that i've had for about 3 months now, and theres only a wispy foundation of a tube web, but nothing crazy yet.

no worries... just the T

pce,
dave

partsman

Arachnopeon
spidertwin's right i got my metallica at the same time and mine has a huge web, it depends on the environment.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i know this probably isn't terribly helpful as i've only had my T since two days ago...(grin)

but anyway, here goes...

mine doesn't appear to enjoy hides (we'll see i guess, but today she seemed frightened of it - see other thread...uh, somewhere in here...lol) and she hasn't put a single bit of webbing anywhere.

she just kind of acts the pet rock or calmly wanders around at night. :)

she's great.

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought a sub-adult A. avic about 6-8 months ago. It had never webbed until 3 weeks ago and then molted last week.

LCDXX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, thanks a million for all the feedback guys/gals. I'm a little more comfortable with the fact that Kefka (my Avic) is his own spider with his own attitude. I just hope that one day he'll straighten his act up and start webbing!

Patience... patience.

Again, thanks for your help and hopefully I'll be able to bump this thread in the not-so-distant future to announce his grand creation!

LCDXX

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no worries man -- when youre new to all this, some things can be quite daunting... theres a lot of conflicting info out there, so NEVER be sorry for posting what seem to be "stupid" questions to you -- they're not!

I come from a huge tarantula family, and I still have some very very basic questions that come up quick and scare me -- so i bring it to the board. I've talked some crazy arachnologists around the country who ask me and my family some "stupid" questions (in their opinion), and i've even had a Ph.D student (in bio- arachno) ask me if its normal for blondi's to forgo food months before a molt! Something you'd think a Ph.D student would know, but at the same time, you can't know EVERYTHING!

so in conclusion, never hesitate to ask a question on this board! It could be some of the most life-saving (for your T) advice you get!

peace,
dave

Maggie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This may have nothing to do with it but just a thought. In the group of A. avics i am keeping, the larger slings have done a lot more webbing than the smaller ones. As everyone has said though, there is no set formula and varies with each individual.