A. avic not eating after molt (3 months)

Spoderman

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I am beginning to worry about my avic sub-adult (4''). It molted in the beginning of February and hasn't eaten since. I offer food every week but nothing.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't worry too much yet if it still looks healthy and is drinking. I have a subadult A. avic female that regularly goes a couple months without eating.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
try smaller food. maybe switch the food to something more active. bump up temps. are you sure the cage is appropriate?

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I would think if the abdomen stiil looks good then it probably isnt a huge problem.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No need to worry based on info provided. I've had Avics that size go quite a while after molt w/out food (> 2 months)

Spoderman

Arachnopeon
thanks all for the responses, the abdomen is still plump.
the size of the prey is the same as before the molt.
She did lose 1 leg during the molt, but doesn't seems bothered by it.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Forcing another molt?
Like going straight into premolt after the molt?
It happens. When a T is injured it speeds up the molt cycle until the injury is gone. There's a thread on here about a tarantula whose stomach actually broke off and got stuck in its new stomach when it molted, making the poor T unable to eat OR drink. It would just mash up the food and ooze digestive juices, then awhile later just put the clumped up cricket in the corner. A few months later, it molted again, and made a full recovery. No food or water at all during those months after a molt.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
A dehydrated Avicularia/Caribena species can also refuse to eat. Like others asked, are you sure set up is okay? Did you change anything in the enclosure?
Is she drinking enough? Some Avics are too weak to come down for a drink. Maybe dribble some water close to her on the webbing?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
the part where you said the stuff.
Clarification, well I've heard several times on this forum that if a tarantula loses a leg or breaks its fangs, it'll molt sooner than if it hadn't because it needs to regenerate the damage.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Alright, well I guess I've been misinformed about tarantula leg regeneration. I can admit when I'm wrong, and it appears I was wrong about this.