A. avic - mold on leg?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get the impression this is your first Avic or tarantula. I suggest you take some pics of the tank from above so we can see what that Ts home looks like. Nice to see someone using a water dish, so you probably have done some research already!

Tong feeding is a bad idea. If your T breaks both fangs it will likely die. One fang it may live. I'm not sure why you are worried about your T finding food. They are efficient predators and don't need to be spoon fed. Plus, if you drop the crix in you get to see some interesting natural behavior.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
It is all good. Thank you for the help. I will at least have a better eye when it comes to purchasing a tarantula. He is a very sweet spider. At least, as "sweet" as a spider can be.
Poor, sweet old geezer. Just enjoy him tenderly.
I've got a young male A. avic. He's a sweetheart, very docile and curious. I know that the day will come when he passes, but until then I grin when I look at him.

ameh

Arachnopeon
I get the impression this is your first Avic or tarantula. I suggest you take some pics of the tank from above so we can see what that Ts home looks like. Nice to see someone using a water dish, so you probably have done some research already!

Tong feeding is a bad idea. If your T breaks both fangs it will likely die. One fang it may live. I'm not sure why you are worried about your T finding food. They are efficient predators and don't need to be spoon fed. Plus, if you drop the crix in you get to see some interesting natural behavior.
My water dish isn't much of a water dish. It's a small bottle cap with water and sometimes I add water to the white seashell. (He's right over his "dish" in the picture.) I usually refill it every other day when it runs empty. I try to spritz the enclosure every now and again but since that "mold" scare, I worried about too much water being in the enclosure. Also worried that I don't have enough ventilation either as you can see where I poked holes. The lid has four small openings to allow air into also, but I don't know if that's enough.

Also, I read that if enclosures are too big sometimes the T will have a hard time finding the prey...? That's why I most recently bought tongs. I put crickets in his enclosure before, tried dead and alive, for at least 24 hours before removal, and still he hasn't eaten. I also worried about his fangs getting ruined too, so I usually grab the cricket by the leg and keep the tongs as far away as possible from him. But I reckon if he's at that age where he doesn't eat a whole lot, I might as well avoid tongs and keep dropping them in every once in a while.

Thank you all for your input!

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There are holes in the sides too if I see correctly. It is rather big, but Avicularia can handle bigger enclosures. It is a liitle barren though, I would put some fake leaves and plants in there. They like it cluttered. Put them halfway the log, not at the bottom or the top. Waterdish should be larger to maintain humidity, four holes in the lid is enough. You don't have to spray water, with a bigger waterdish the humidity should be fine.

ameh

Arachnopeon
There are holes in the sides too if I see correctly. It is rather big, but Avicularia can handle bigger enclosures. It is a liitle barren though, I would put some fake leaves and plants in there. They like it cluttered. Put them halfway the log, not at the bottom or the top. Waterdish should be larger to maintain humidity, four holes in the lid is enough. You don't have to spray water, with a bigger waterdish the humidity should be fine.
Awesome, thank you for the tips! I am going to try to replace the wood with cork bark and I will definitely search for a bigger water dish and some fake plants. I will post some updates when I finish it up. :)

ameh

Arachnopeon
Sorry for reviving this thread, just wanted to show the updates to his new enclosure as I said I would in my last post.

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and replies!

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sorry for reviving this thread, just wanted to show the updates to his new enclosure as I said I would in my last post.

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and replies!
no need to be sorry, it is not a necro thread ;)
that set up looks perfect, good job!