A avic in potential need of help

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Very short term enclosure idea, but my friend at petsmart was able to get a T for free and give it to me as they thought it was dying, though it looks mostly ok to me.
They say it hasnt ate since they received it in jan 2020
I just got it and set it up last night in a enclosure that I just rigged up outta a light casing
The three dishes are cause it dries fast, and shes drinking... a lot.

Attachments

rock

Arachnoknight
just looks dehydrated, notice the little indentations on the opisthosoma. once its round and firm you should be in the clear

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Ya think she'll eat when she drinks? Or is it premolt given its been over a year since they eat

rock

Arachnoknight
Maybe? Offer her something once or twice a week but don't leave it in there more than a few hours if she doesn't eat it. She looks a little skinny to be pre molt but who knows

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya think she'll eat when she drinks? Or is it premolt given its been over a year since they eat
Avics that are dehydrated quite a bit don’t eat generally until they are hydrated.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Do I see palpal bulbs or is it the camera angle?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I do not think she has bulbs, as its only 2inches maybe, the camera makes her look bigger than she is. I just believe shes been miscared for. Hopefully this water plumps her up

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Well some days have passed... she doesnt appear to be drinking anymore like she was, ive kept her bowls full...
Her abdomen appears the same, any thoughts? Im worried for the little one

Attachments

Jess S

Arachnobaron
It may have been dehydrated when you first got it and now doesn't need to drink like that anymore.
Imo a spider seen drinking frequently is usually indicative of a problem.

What enclosure is it in now, as you mentioned having a temporary one set up prior. Do you have a permanent home for it now?

Try feeding it small roaches or crickets to get it feeding again. I would remove the hopping legs from the crickets to slow them down and make them easier to catch. I know it sounds cruel but they pull off very easy, crickets drop those legs just like spiders do. Once it's eating again, then you won't have to keep doing that.

Remove any prey that hasn't been eaten in 24 hours and try again in a couple of days.

Swagg

Arachnoknight
Just a though but what I do for my avic slings is keep a container of wax worms out that are constantly turning into moths. Usually does the trick triggering the feeding response and imo works better than most feeders for the small arboreals.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Ill get waxs! And currently it is now in an amac box, the bigger tall ones, its a little small for her. Plenty of cross vent, I used it when i raised my other avic whos an 5inch female now ^.^
And yes she has been dehydrated since purchase, as that was the day of the post. So I gave her 3 water bowls, and when i misted a little on the wall she drank it all! She just hasnt eaten since jan according to my friend who works there