A. avic humidity?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok I'm really sorry this topic has been beaten to death. But I'm trying to get my new A. avic enclosure to be around 75-85% humidity. But I can't! I tryed misting the bottom sides of the enclosure and the eco earth but it ended up going down by the end of the day! It just seems like its going to the natural humidity of the room. it has been at around high 50s and medium 60s. Now I did use the search function (YAY!) and there was a thread and they said just keep a water dish and it's fine. Can I do that? Or do I need the humidity? And if so, how do I? The enclosure is a 8x8x16 in. tarantulacages.com enclosure with 7 vents.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that 2 vents on each side...2 vents on the front...& one on the top?
Are they the 2" vents?

With 7 vents that seems to be the problem.. I personally wouldnt have more than 2.. Maybe 3 vents..

The only way to keep the humidity up is to lower your air flow..

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, just keep the water dish topped off and mist every couple days, and they'll do just fine.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I made only one vent on the top of my terarrium and there isn't any problem with it, humidity stays for about 2-3 days without misting, so I mist every 2-3 days. :) Also wood cork small chips work for raising a bit of humidity. I use Exo terra's jungle earth on top of coconut fiber. :)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In an enclosure with lots of ventilation, it's a pretty futile effort to try and keep humidity up. NY isn't a super dry place. I'd probably just not worry about the humidity--we are not talking about amphibians here. Keep a water dish available as do you for all T's. There has been a lot of talk on the boards about avics needing plenty of ventilation, so I'd be careful before taking steps to lower your ventilation in order to increase humidity.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have mine with a bottle cap that I keep filled, mist inside every couple of days, & just have some holes evenly spaced out around the front of her door. She just molted at the beginning of the week & has been doing great.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is 2 vents on each side and 3 on top. should I put a wet rag over the top 3? I just don't want to take away ventilation.But its still at 45%!. should I consider getting a humidifier to put next to the enclosure?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just sprayed the whole sides. It helped, it made it go to 60%. But I'm sure it won't last long. So can I cover the 3 top vents?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your beating yourself up over nothing, I don't live too far from you and I have close to fifty different avis right now, the ambient temp and humidity is fine.

Food and CONSTANT clean water source is all you need.

I keep them in all sorts of enclosures, pill vials, hobby cubes, plastic tubs and my own home made acrylic enclosures. All my avis are kept the same.

Most of my avis are kept like this in the plastic tubs.

All my arboreal breeding sized gals are kept in these homemade acrylic cages.

No special humidity precautions, just food and clean water always available.

Humidity is not an issue.

PIG-

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey PIG.. How long does it take you to build your homemade enclosures?
How big are they?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey PIG.. How long does it take you to build your homemade enclosures?
How big are they?
6x6x12"

If you have all the material cut and you have hinges, hasps, acrylic solvent (glue) on hand, you can crank them out very fast, I knocked out twelve in about 3-4 hours.

PIG-

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so Ill just mist every so often and keep a water dish and not worry about the humidity. I feel better because I see your doing well with the natural humidity