A.Avic enclosure

sch1z0k1tty

Arachnopeon
just wondering is this is an appropriate setup for their size. They've eaten 3 crickets and i’ve watched them walk around the whole enclosure at least three times but hasn't spun any web yet :( is that normal? i got them about 5 days ago and promised id stop bothering them I also read i didnt need the hygrometer but I already glued it on 😅

Attachments

Poonjab

Arachnoking
From what I can see the enclosure appears adequate. 5 days isn’t enough time for it to settle in. Some web the first day, others take weeks. I actually have a few digital thermometer/humidity readers in random cages. Not necessary at all. I just like having an idea of the gradient in my T room.

sch1z0k1tty

Arachnopeon
From what I can see the enclosure appears adequate. 5 days isn’t enough time for it to settle in. Some web the first day, others take weeks. I actually have a few digital thermometer/humidity readers in random cages. Not necessary at all. I just like having an idea of the gradient in my T room.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I was freaking out.. checking on them every hour or so. Im so glad I found this very much alive community of fellow T lovers .

cold blood

Staff member
1. Plants are great...vertical wood, also great. But these things go together and should be in contact with one another. Its like having a piece of bread on one side of the table with jelly and one on the other side with peanutbutter and me saying, enjoy your pb&j....lol

2. Ditch the hygrometer, theyre useless and can only serve to confuse...humidity isnt relevant....they should just be kept predominantly dry.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
just wondering is this is an appropriate setup for their size. They've eaten 3 crickets and i’ve watched them walk around the whole enclosure at least three times but hasn't spun any web yet :( is that normal? i got them about 5 days ago and promised id stop bothering them I also read i didnt need the hygrometer but I already glued it on 😅
Normal

Raise Avics DRY with a water dish

sch1z0k1tty

Arachnopeon
1. Plants are great...vertical wood, also great. But these things go together and should be in contact with one another. Its like having a piece of bread on one side of the table with jelly and one on the other side with peanutbutter and me saying, enjoy your pb&j....lol

2. Ditch the hygrometer, theyre useless and can only serve to confuse...humidity isnt relevant....they should just be kept predominantly dry.
Thanks! They seem to enjoy climbing all over the plant too, so i’ll buy another and place it where the wood is. I actually removed the hygrometer after noticing some white streaks on the back and cleaned where it had been placed bc i feared it was mold. The rest of the enclosure seems to be fine, but should i still rehome or clean it out?? Also, I “made it rain” just the other day.. will that affect my T in any way? Do you know what signs I should look out for, I wouldnt wanna lose my first t bc of all the misinformation about keeping the humidity up :(

Normal

Raise Avics DRY with a water dish
thanks, i’ll keep this in mind next time im filling the dish!

Attachments

sch1z0k1tty

Arachnopeon
Your vent holes are looking quite hazardous with the pointy bits on the inside.
I went a little crazy with the drill 😅 i’ve been practicing making enclosures more often now that i have a T and am hoping to get more. I can move them into a better one or fix the holes, but They’ve been walking on and around them quite often, and when i felt them they felt a tiny bit rough but not dangerous to me. Have there been cases where its hurt a t??? I was wondering the same thing when i first moved them in and have just been hoping it’s not a problem.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
I went a little crazy with the drill 😅 i’ve been practicing making enclosures more often now that i have a T and am hoping to get more. I can move them into a better one or fix the holes, but They’ve been walking on and around them quite often, and when i felt them they felt a tiny bit rough but not dangerous to me. Have there been cases where its hurt a t??? I was wondering the same thing when i first moved them in and have just been hoping it’s not a problem.
I don't know if it's a major problem but I myself wouldn't take the chance nor would I want to look at it like that, but that's just me. If you have another one that's better you should move it, especially considering what others said about it being too big and not quite configured right. It's ok, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to figure out what works. I'm fairly new to this too and I have had a bit of trial and error getting here.

sch1z0k1tty

Arachnopeon
I don't know if it's a major problem but I myself wouldn't take the chance nor would I want to look at it like that, but that's just me. If you have another one that's better you should move it, especially considering what others said about it being too big and not quite configured right. It's ok, sometimes it takes a couple of tries to figure out what works. I'm fairly new to this too and I have had a bit of trial and error getting here.
Thanks! I do appreciate the advice and will switch them out once i finish baking a new hide. I don’t think its posing too much of a threat to my t, but youre right...i wouldnt want to risk it 😅 Also, i didnt see anywhere that they mentioned me having too big an enclosure. I’ve noticed on here that some people keep them in even bigger enclosures and they’re abt the same size. Do you know if theres such thing as rehoming too soon or too often and will doing so affect t’s? Or can they get too stressed and die? Sorry for all the newb questions.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
Thanks! I do appreciate the advice and will switch them out once i finish baking a new hide. I don’t think its posing too much of a threat to my t, but youre right...i wouldnt want to risk it 😅 Also, i didnt see anywhere that they mentioned me having too big an enclosure. I’ve noticed on here that some people keep them in even bigger enclosures and they’re abt the same size. Do you know if theres such thing as rehoming too soon or too often and will doing so affect t’s? Or can they get too stressed and die? Sorry for all the newb questions.
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that was a different avic post this morning, I should've scrolled back up before replying :)
The fewer the rehouses the better of course, but if something needs fixing it's probably better to do it early on. Getting moved gently a couple of times won't stress it to death.

Last edited: