A avic dies :(

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
So many of you might know a little petsmart pink toe ive posted about, I received it from my local petsmart since they couldnt get it to eat for approximately a year. I posted here about it. Through another long while of no eating, but lots of daily water, the little dude finally "ate" and I posted excitedly of it.. But today I went to give him his daily water and I found him curled barely alive.. I flipped him over to directly provide water and well.. idk what the hell is wrong with him but I know I cant save him.. I have put him into the freezer..

This post is just so you guys can maybe teach me what this nasty thing is that claimed this poor dude.

Attachments

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Most big box pet stores T's are wild caught. Could be anything, but looks like some kind of fungus. Hope you kept it far away from your other T's at it might produce spores if it is indeed fungus.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
Most big box pet stores T's are wild caught. Could be anything, but looks like some kind of fungus. Hope you kept it far away from your other T's at it might produce spores if it is indeed fungus.
Yeah I always kept this one seperate as I originally assumed he may have had parasites since the store couldnt get him to eat

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Yeah I always kept this one seperate as I originally assumed he may have had parasites since the store couldnt get him to eat
It is unlikely that Petsmart (a) does a full teardown and disinfection on enclosures between animals, and (b) has effective biosafety protocols in place for employees' activities (and neither does the wholesaler that processes all these animals), so if there's a pathogen at play here, it is still in play at Petsmart and in their supply chain.

Luckily pathogens seem not to be much of an issue in Ts (correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption). People with any sort of a substantial reptile or amphibian collection who take on animals from big box pet stores are simply reckless with the safety of their animals.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
It is unlikely that Petsmart (a) does a full teardown and disinfection on enclosures between animals, and (b) has effective biosafety protocols in place for employees' activities (and neither does the wholesaler that processes all these animals), so if there's a pathogen at play here, it is still in play at Petsmart and in their supply chain.

Luckily pathogens seem not to be much of an issue in Ts (correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption). People with any sort of a substantial reptile or amphibian collection who take on animals from big box pet stores are simply reckless with the safety of their animals.
Uh well luckily i have a large house and two outside sheds that are insulated and heated/cooled. So my Ts are all in one of those sheds, and the pinktoe i kept in my other shed no contact at all. I ALWAYS cared for him last and washed well afterwards. Ive had him for over a year before he finally gave up... its sad

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
sorry for the loss. I hope you get an answer, that is something I am unfamiliar with and would like more info to keep an eye out for it

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
Uh well luckily i have a large house and two outside sheds that are insulated and heated/cooled. So my Ts are all in one of those sheds, and the pinktoe i kept in my other shed no contact at all. I ALWAYS cared for him last and washed well afterwards. Ive had him for over a year before he finally gave up... its sad
I'm glad you have such a good arrangement, and it's laudable that you took precautions. Yes, it is sad.

My point, though, was that even though you kept this one separate, most people don't, and you have two sheds and I assume more than two Ts so you can't take the same precautions on every Petsmart spider (perhaps this was the only one ever, I don't know). Given what I said about biosecurity and the lack of it from certain retailers, any other T from that sort of supply chain is possibly compromised in a way that it wouldn't be from a vendor who (a) doesn't deal with WC animals, or at least knows how to deal with them safely, and (b) gives the slightest bit of a whizz about the health and welfare of their animals generally.

Mine was intended to be more of a general comment on the whole situation than anything specifically directed at you; I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear. And like I mentioned, I'm extrapolating risk from taxa that I know much more about, where the pathogen risk from these sorts of outlets is very high, and the relevant knowledge level of most people who shop there is low -- their target demographic is not one that quarantines rigorously, I'm certain.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I'm glad you have such a good arrangement, and it's laudable that you took precautions. Yes, it is sad.

My point, though, was that even though you kept this one separate, most people don't, and you have two sheds and I assume more than two Ts so you can't take the same precautions on every Petsmart spider (perhaps this was the only one ever, I don't know). Given what I said about biosecurity and the lack of it from certain retailers, any other T from that sort of supply chain is possibly compromised in a way that it wouldn't be from a vendor who (a) doesn't deal with WC animals, or at least knows how to deal with them safely, and (b) gives the slightest bit of a whizz about the health and welfare of their animals generally.

Mine was intended to be more of a general comment on the whole situation than anything specifically directed at you; I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear. And like I mentioned, I'm extrapolating risk from taxa that I know much more about, where the pathogen risk from these sorts of outlets is very high, and the relevant knowledge level of most people who shop there is low -- their target demographic is not one that quarantines rigorously, I'm certain.
Yeah I didnt really wanna take it.. but it was free, and I felt so bad for it. Luckily I do have quarantines due to my fish keeping.. but the heartache of a parasite or whatever this was is not worth it I suppose..

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I'm sorry this happened. Don't lose heart. Buy some captive bred slings. Avic slings are so cute! They will brighten your mood.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I wouldn‘t go as far to say it’s part of the hobby or not worth it, everything dies at some point. I’d venture to guess it brought you joy or may have even lifted your spirits on a not so great day, that there is worth it’s weight in gold. Try again, totally worth it.

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry this happened. Don't lose heart. Buy some captive bred slings. Avic slings are so cute! They will brighten your mood.
Haha ive raised 2 and bred them! I know theyre adorable, this one was to attempt to save the little dude. My next T will hopefully by a P pulcher

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I wouldn‘t go as far to say it’s part of the hobby or not worth it, everything dies at some point. I’d venture to guess it brought you joy or may have even lifted your spirits on a not so great day, that there is worth it’s weight in gold. Try again, totally worth it.
Well its moreso that he was super skinny and not eating, I was prepped for the inevitable until he decided to randomly start "eating" but he never got bigger until eventually he did pass