A.avic communal

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
i am thinking about getting 5-6 avic slings, and i am wondering if i can put them all in the same enclosure as slings? is this possible? Thanks!

James

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some people say you can, and others say you can't. I've read some stories where it went wrong and the A. avic's ate each other. I wouldn't risk it, especially since they are so small right now, space isn't an issue. But what kind of avic's are you talking about? The whole cohabitat idea was for A. avic's only, if I remember correctly. Either way, good luck and enjoy your new slings. :D

-LT

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah the never ending debate.;) It is possible, however, the devil must be given his due. The risk in such a encloser is great and very real. Tarantula's are by no means social creatures, and such a set up is begging for cannibalism. I feel the risk is too great to risk it. There will be other that don't agree me.;)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Ive heard of it working great given that they have space and are extremely well fed. I would be interested in seeing how two+ males act at the presence of a female when they hit maturity.

The risk is present. Personally i get so pissed off when my spiders die that i would be in constant fear and depression at losing the spider. It is also quite an investment just to save space on housing.

-V

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Originally posted by Lost_Tarantula
Some people say you can, and others say you can't. I've read some stories where it went wrong and the A. avic's ate each other. I wouldn't risk it, especially since they are so small right now, space isn't an issue. But what kind of avic's are you talking about? The whole cohabitat idea was for A. avic's only, if I remember correctly. Either way, good luck and enjoy your new slings. :D

-LT
I am talking about a.avicularia's! Thanks for the comments! i decided if i get the slings i will not take such a risk!

James

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep communil avics but since I found out that Atrax thinks I am lying about it then you might nmot want to believe me because apparently everything I say on this board is a lie according to him.

But all things aside, i have done this successfully and still do to this day. For about three weeks I had them separated because the smaller of the two was going into molt and made a web tunnel and I didnt want the bigger one to disturb it so I isolated it. THe spider has now molted and recovered and it back in with the other one and it is fine. I read that this is really bad to do from lots of people but it has worked for me. It can result in disaster. Just ask the Eternal. He lost his male to this setup a few weeks ago I believe.

Last edited:

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've kept A. avic spiderlings together for quite some time (2+ months) and I've routinely kept breeding pairs together for a month.

Oddly enough, a prime collection locale in Guyana is not the forest, but a reptile housing facilty. People pay $30 (or some amount) to go scoop as many as they can for a certain amount of time. I am told that A. avics are living together there under plywood coverings and all along the corners of cinderblock walls. Obviously, the bugs live in close proximity. I've seen spiders collected from this facility living together in a large setup, bumping into one another, etc. I saw a fight between two females (one tried to enter the other's web), but no death. I'd imagine that they're not communal, but can live in relative harmony outside an enclosure in a small area, much like common house spiders in a garage. I figure that non-breeding pairs WOULD kill each other if they couldn't get enough space.

-Garrick

http://tarantulas.differentdawn.com

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, by the way. . .I didn't mean to discredit Jacen's setup. With enough space, hiding places, etc., I think they'd be okay. However, I don't think anyone should believe this species invites "friends" over or something. They WILL fight if they don't have their own private area.

-Garrick

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The setip I have right now is a ten gallon tank with lots of dead branches to crawl around on and a lot of food available and they have their own space. Even when they get close they dont react to each other.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
The setip I have right now is a ten gallon tank with lots of dead branches to crawl around on and a lot of food available and they have their own space. Even when they get close they dont react to each other.
are they possibly siblings? some debate on if siblings do better together rather than unrelated. Mike "Troll" has kept pokes that were siblings together, he darn near starved them to see if they would cannibalize........I think he ended up selling most of the communual setup though.
Ed

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THey arent siblings. Well they could be but the odds are quite slim. I bought one in Vancouver at a pet store and I got another one locally and I bought them at completely different times.