A. avic breeding

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im sure this has been talked about before, I tried to search this forum but couldnt find what I wanted. My A. avic female molted about 3 weeks ago. I wasnt sure if she was mature but her and my male have been drumming like crazy the past few nights. Does this mean they are ready to mate? My main question though is how long should I wait. I figured since she just molted 3 weeks ago she needs to gain some weight first. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I figure you have to learn sometime.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FEED FEED FEED that female. Then go for it. This is covered a few times a month,I am surprised that you could not find info regarding this.Avicularia are pretty easy to breed for the most part.Make sure the female is well fed,then introduce the male.I like to keep an eye on them while they do their thing. Be prepared to seperate them if she shows aggression towards the male.Or you can co-hab them,if you feel comfortable doing so.They are generally pretty easy on eachother...

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! Thats what I though, just making sure. I think I just didnt know exactly what to search. I have a tendency to suck at search engines.

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found a few good ones on breeding when I searched. I just couldnt find one that said how soon after molting I could breed. I guess it doesnt really matter as long as she is nice and fat.

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Just as long as her fangs are hard enough for her to eat....otherwise if you breed her to soon he could damage her fangs.

Kevin

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now, I don't remember the specific terms, but I remember the wait to try pair the female had something to do with the spermathecae needing about 4 weeks to get ready to be receptive to the boy. Sorry, maybe someone else can chime in!

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its been 3 weeks since the molt and I plan on probly waiting a month before breeding her. unless its better to do it sooner. Id rather not even get a sac than jump the gun and risk her health.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My first girl molted March 28th.. She was 4.5" in DLS.. Paired on June 6th.. Dropped an egg sac July 4th... Produced 118 healthy babies..

My second girl molted June 26th... 4.25" DLS.. Paired on August 2nd... Dropped an egg sac September 8th... Currently sitting on sac..

The male was 5" DLS..

Both times.. I introduced the male with the ladies.. Watched him do the deed.. Then removed him.. Only paired them one time.. The ladies were both super chill with the male..