A.avic. behavior

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all
I was just looking in on my T's and I noticed my avic. was doing alot of moving. (she usually just hangs on the wall of her enclosure.) I took a closer look and she had 2 of her feet in her mouth. It was like she was suking her feet. Is this just part of her hygine routine because I've never seen any of my creatures do this. Or is she cranky and sucking her thumb?.

MORBIUS

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's just being clean. They preen their feet quite a bit if you catch them at it.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes - I've noticed a lot of mine do this soon after being handled. I think the handling might weaken/rub off the adhesive they normally have on their pads, and by cleaning them they can regain that stickyness.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh man, you missed the chapter in the TKG about cranky Ts and their "thumb-sucking" habits?????!!!!

geez, you must have got a bunk book my friend

;)

pce
dave

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the info guys. And I think your right dave, I must have got the censored copy of the TGK =D =D

MORBIUS

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Avics are snobs and prissy. They hide if you get too close and they are always taking time out to "preen". It is interesting to watch though.

dale

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All of my Avic's do this after they have eaten and sometimes after they have been handled.

It kinda freaked me out the first time I saw my T doing it, it looked like it was trying to eat the tip of its leg.

"Preening" huh, where do they come up with these terms?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
"Preening" huh, where do they come up with these terms?
It's what they call it when a bird goes through it's feathers to straighten and re-oil them. A tarantuala going through its hygenic details resembles a bird doing its hygenic routine, minus the wings and adding on a few legs :)