a. avic acting strangley

goferris

Arachnopeon
hey all, it has been a while since i was last on here. i guess i have been kind of busy with other things. i have this avic that is acting quite strangely lately. i had a post on here a couple months ago about it not webbing (which it still hasn't done in the 3 months that i have had it) and that is just the first of this t's oddness, i tried to feed it the other day and it wouldn't eat (that's normal though) but during the last couple of days it hasn't hardly moved at all. i tried to nudge it to get a response and it is definitely alive. it tried to climb up the wall of it's critter keeper but couldn't :? this is where i am getting confused. it tried to climb up but couldn't get a grip. it eventually just flipped over trying. is this semi normal? usually it spends all of it's time just chilling on the walls. could this be a sign of a moult?
any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dont touch it . just leave it alone. and if it does start laying on its back take the food out of the cage.

goferris

Arachnopeon
Dont touch it . just leave it alone. and if it does start laying on its back take the food out of the cage.
it's not doing anything like that. it does have a bald spot on it's abdomen but it isn't really darker than normal. and it isn't lying on it's back. it just flipped over on it's back as it was trying to climb the wall. it flipped back over about 2 seconds later. it's not your typical moult actions. no molt mat or anything. it just is acting a little weird by not moving at all. now i have gone through 2 moults with my b albo and you could pretty much tell for sure it was about to happen but with this guy i don't know what the hell he's doing. it just acts like it is really weak or something

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is it?Do you know it's sex? How about the tank conditions? This is something that I've read about a lot with avics,(do a search and you'll come up with lots of threads) but no one knows the reasons. Give it plenty of fresh water and hope for the best, if it seems to be slipping away try an ICU..... good luck!

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sound like a upcoming molt to me. Arboreal molt behavior is slightly different then terrestrials. Make sure its got high humidity and leave it alone.

goferris

Arachnopeon
ok, a week later and still doing the same thing. how long will it take (if it is actually going to moult) to start it's moult? i hope it isn't sick or anything. that would suck. but still why wouldn't it be able to climb the walls? :? this whole thing is starting to really annoy me. :wall: sad to say this T has caused me nothing but problems since i got it. won't eat, won't web now this. i just don't know what to do. you would think it would do some sort of webbing especially if it is about to moult though right? :confused:
How big is it?Do you know it's sex? How about the tank conditions?
it's about 3 inches, to young to tell sex, and it was in a larger kritter keeper with that eco earth stuff and a large stick for it to crawl on (i think it was some sort of dried vine bought it at a pet store) now it has been moved to a smaller enclosure, 2 lb deli cup sized, i mist it about once a week, no signs of mold, always has a water dish in there. with a couple in of substrate. i feed it 2 crix a week. sometimes he will eat other times no. it hasn't eaten in several weeks now. don't really know what else i can say or do about this little guy. oh and i got it from a local pet store that Gumby is pretty familiar with.

Last edited:

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had my 4" avic doing this. I think it is because they have substrait stuck in their toes. My avic hates to be on the ground and when she can't be on a wall to clean her toes, she gets stressed trying. I just guide her onto my hand and put her back on her leaves or log. She seems to be very happy about a day and some good foot chewing later. Hope you have luck with her.

goferris

Arachnopeon
another week and still nothing new, no moult, still hasn't eaten, still isn't webbing, and still cant get a grip on the walls.
come on! there has to be more people on here that could give me some suggestions. if it is just that it has substrate on its pads wouldn't it have cleaned itself off by now?

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it still sounds like a molt to me. You just have to be patient and don't worry about it. It can go a very very very long time without food, just make sure there is water available for it and wait it out.