A. australis not eating

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Hey scorp folks!

I've had my A. australis male for a little over two weeks now. He's still refusing food. His enclosure is quite simple: Kritter Keeper with dry sand and a cork flat for a hide. I mist occassionally, and I've seen him come out to drink.

His enclosure is actually sitting inside an old home built frilled dragon enclosure right now. I gave the dragon away, and have since cleaned everything out. So it's basically a wooden cabinet. The lights and ceramic heat emitter are still installed, but are turned off. I actually put his enclosure in there so my cat wouldn't disturb it. Would it be wise to turn on the ceramic heater to boost the temps? The heater is attached way up on the ceiling of the large enclosure, so is no where near the kritter keeper that the scorp is in. If I turn it on, it'll just warm the air around it.

If anyone wants pics, I can do that when I get a chance:)

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Pics are always best . I currently have a ceramic hit bulb close to mine keeping them between 85° - 95° I'm currently experiencing a few of my arid scorps not eating for a few weeks. They worried me but they recently started to feed... keep the temps high. Humidity low.

What's are your feeder options for them

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Pics are always best . I currently have a ceramic hit bulb close to mine keeping them between 85° - 95° I'm currently experiencing a few of my arid scorps not eating for a few weeks. They worried me but they recently started to feed... keep the temps high. Humidity low.

What's are your feeder options for them
I breed dubias for all my animals. Occassionally, I go out and buy a handful of crickets. But that's rare, since I have a pretty good roach colony.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
With scorpions it is not uncommon for them to fast for periods of time, especially in a new environment. With that being said, I also have no luck with roaches or mealworms. My scorpions won't eat anything other than crickets, so maybe try and offer it something different.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I have very very little luck with dubias and meal worms. Australis from my recent experience wants somethong skittish . I use red runner roaches i have a colony going. Check out a thread I have going. It's on the first page about feeder responses. I got some good feedback

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
as stated, sometimes scorps will not eat for a while. no cause for concern. I also offer red runners. I rarely offer dubia.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Do red runners burrow? That's my problem with dubias as they always bury themselves.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Nope. Don't burrow ,can't climb plastic and don't smell as bad as dubias

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
So here are some pictures of what he's currently in. Again, it's a kk inside of an old reptile enclosure. It was supposed to only be a temporary place to stash him until I built a book shelf. Should I take advantage of the fact that I already have a heater installed in there?

IMG_1990.JPG
Here's the ceiling of the enclosure..... about 3 feet above the kk.

IMG_1989.JPG
There's the kk, and some random junk;)

IMG_1988.JPG

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
So here are some pictures of what he's currently in. Again, it's a kk inside of an old reptile enclosure. It was supposed to only be a temporary place to stash him until I built a book shelf. Should I take advantage of the fact that I already have a heater installed in there?

View attachment 242352
Here's the ceiling of the enclosure..... about 3 feet above the kk.

View attachment 242351
There's the kk, and some random junk;)

View attachment 242350
The fact that it's in that heating cabinet is no problem as long as the temps are up. And it looks like you have it on all cocofiber?? Correct if im wrong.

Sand mixed with cocofiber would be a more suitable substrate . Completely dry 70% sand 30% coco

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
The fact that it's in that heating cabinet is no problem as long as the temps are up. And it looks like you have it on all cocofiber?? Correct if im wrong.

Sand mixed with cocofiber would be a more suitable substrate . Completely dry 70% sand 30% coco
It's actually black sand. Right now, he's on sand only. Should I add coco fiber to it?

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
as stated, sometimes scorps will not eat for a while. no cause for concern. I also offer red runners. I rarely offer dubia.
Ok. Yeah, I'm used to Ts fasting for long periods. I just wanted to make sure scorpions were the same. I have a dune scorpion that eats dubia like a hog!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Oh ok no biggie then. The black sand shouldn't be a problem. Everything seems normal then . Probably just taking a bit of a fast. I had a jayakari not eat for over a month up until 2 days ago

Stugy

Arachnolord
At least you guys don't have a 4i Parabuthus schlecteri that hasn't eaten since October (or September? I forget lol)

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
My afs has went months and months without eating with zero effect as long as they have water I really wouldn't worry at all he will eat when he is ready.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
My afs has went months and months without eating with zero effect as long as they have water I really wouldn't worry at all he will eat when he is ready.
That's good to know:) I'll keep trying weekly, and hopefully get a nice surprise when he decides to go for it

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
That's good to know:) I'll keep trying weekly, and hopefully get a nice surprise when he decides to go for it
Honestly he went around 6 months without eating so I wouldn't even try weekly maybe once a fortnight. One things for sure he will eat when he is hungry! So relax :)