A. australis not eating

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I had a few Australis males not eat for months so it's no biggie and as others have stated some scorps aren't keen on dubias since they are slow and burrow a lot.
red runners are a better choice in most cases. They are extremely fast and make a great feeding response for your scorp. A lot of my scorps wouldn't touch dubias but if they're hungry enough - they will

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I'm starting to learn more and more about feeding responses and behaviors with all my scorps . Like stated before I was just retarted and assumed if they didn't eat right away they weren't hungry.... all 5 of my scorps who I assumed were not eating for whatever reason But all ate after leaving prey item in the dark with them and hides removed...

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
They rejected food under light and camera every day. No nudges or budges on anyrhing but the second i turn my back. Instant take down

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm starting to learn more and more about feeding responses and behaviors with all my scorps . Like stated before I was just retarted and assumed if they didn't eat right away they weren't hungry.... all 5 of my scorps who I assumed were not eating for whatever reason But all ate after leaving prey item in the dark with them and hides removed...
You shouldn't remove their hides. Best to just leave the prey item in there for a few hours. They will eat if they are hungry.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
IMG_2099.JPG
Hey! Managed to get him to tackle a dubia:) You guys were right, though. Seems like he definitely perks up when it's moving a lot. He actually grabbed it and didn't do anything for a while because it wasn't moving. So I used the tongs and nudged it around, and he went crazy and started wrestling it. So it's clear he responds stronger if it feels like it's struggling.

Another thing I noticed is dubia have pretty thick exoskeletons on top. That stinger looks pretty fragile, and could probably break easily if the scorp isn't careful. He was clearly very careful with it, trying to study his prey for a weak spot to make his kill. Eventually found the soft underside and stuck it in twice. It's cool to see animals like this that have a strong self-protection instinct. He knows how fragile his stinger is, and how much he relies on it. Pretty neat!

Btw, he's my first Buthid scorp. So very dangerous, but absolutely the most adorable little thing! Pudgy body with skinny pinchers, and a tail that sticks straight up like a kitten when he walks around!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Awesome! Always a nice little relief once you see them eat with your own eyes and get that take down. That's the problem most people have with dubias.. hard to get responses because they sit still and play dead. Crickets and other roaches that are skittish help trigger better response. However I wouldn't worry too much about his stinger. Australis probably has one of the thickest and strongest if not the thickest and strongest tail in the scorp world and would have no issue jabbing right through that shell with a clean hit ,but they do know to look for the soft underbelly spot.

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
View attachment 244031
Hey! Managed to get him to tackle a dubia:) You guys were right, though. Seems like he definitely perks up when it's moving a lot. He actually grabbed it and didn't do anything for a while because it wasn't moving. So I used the tongs and nudged it around, and he went crazy and started wrestling it. So it's clear he responds stronger if it feels like it's struggling.

Another thing I noticed is dubia have pretty thick exoskeletons on top. That stinger looks pretty fragile, and could probably break easily if the scorp isn't careful. He was clearly very careful with it, trying to study his prey for a weak spot to make his kill. Eventually found the soft underside and stuck it in twice. It's cool to see animals like this that have a strong self-protection instinct. He knows how fragile his stinger is, and how much he relies on it. Pretty neat!

Btw, he's my first Buthid scorp. So very dangerous, but absolutely the most adorable little thing! Pudgy body with skinny pinchers, and a tail that sticks straight up like a kitten when he walks around!
Scorps stingers are like one third metal I believe. I thought they were the strongest part of a scorpion. Screenshot_2017-06-22-23-24-00.png

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have often wondered myself how fragile (or not) their actual stinger is.