A. anax, is this T right for me?

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm excited- i check Craig's List quite often looking for Ts up for 'adoption.' For some reason, not many people in my area are into this hobby, and findings are few. Tonight, however, there is a nearby posting from a person selling slings of Aphonopelma anax.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pet/1885083738.html

A search on the species reveals mostly threads of people asking for IDs, and the occasional photo. What i'm looking for is some additional information on these Ts- are they like most other Aphonopelmas, slow-growing and docile? Do they prefer a dry habitat? Do they burrow? Are they 'pet rocks?'

For only $5 a sling, i'm very likely going to pick up a couple. Or five. I'd just like to know what to expect from them, as i prefer to keep Ts that are generally easier to care for, and less dangerous.

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm excited- i check Craig's List quite often looking for Ts up for 'adoption.' For some reason, not many people in my area are into this hobby, and findings are few. Tonight, however, there is a nearby posting from a person selling slings of Aphonopelma anax.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pet/1885083738.html

A search on the species reveals mostly threads of people asking for IDs, and the occasional photo. What i'm looking for is some additional information on these Ts- are they like most other Aphonopelmas, slow-growing and docile? Do they prefer a dry habitat? Do they burrow? Are they 'pet rocks?'

For only $5 a sling, i'm very likely going to pick up a couple. Or five. I'd just like to know what to expect from them, as i prefer to keep Ts that are generally easier to care for, and less dangerous.
In my own experiences with Anax they are docile and very slow at doing anything.

I keep mine dry as a bone they like this a lot, just a water bowl in there overfilled every now and again.

They do burrow but in my experience I have only had one attempt this.

I don't think they are pet rocks mine move around quite a bit although very slowly.

Yes these T's are bullet proof and very easy if not the easiest to care for but don't expect them to grow into an adult overnight as these are slow at doing anything. These Aphonopelmas are lovely good starter specie as well.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you, Hentzi. :) I picked up two of these little ones, and they are super tiny! I'll have to get some pictures up.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Managed to get a couple of pics. I have a decent camera, but i'm using the kit lens, which doesn't do great macro shots. :p

It's not that noticeable in the pics, but there's a dark patch forming on the rump, may be time to molt soon. I hope!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Fyrefly, Wow, that's tiny!! Almost looks like first instar in appearance by the pics although I realize probably not! Good luck with 'em. :) Terry

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah the person who sold them to me said they were very young, 1st or 2nd instar, i can't quite remember.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have fun watching it grow... although grass might grow faster :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah the person who sold them to me said they were very young, 1st or 2nd instar, i can't quite remember.
Being 1st instar.. Just keep in in a deli.. You could actually put it back in a little incubator.. IMO its to soon to be out of an incubator..

But if you dont want to do that.. A deli with only half of the substrate a little damp should do fine.. I wouldnt offer it anything to eat until it molts.. Because that deff. looks 1st instar to me.. Mine hentzi slings looked alot different once they hit second..

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Being 1st instar.. Just keep in in a deli.. You could actually put it back in a little incubator.. IMO its to soon to be out of an incubator..

But if you dont want to do that.. A deli with only half of the substrate a little damp should do fine.. I wouldnt offer it anything to eat until it molts.. Because that deff. looks 1st instar to me.. Mine hentzi slings looked alot different once they hit second..
I have them in a small deli cup (separated) with a damp paper towel. They seem to be doing okay.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have them in a small deli cup (separated) with a damp paper towel. They seem to be doing okay.
That should be just fine as well.. I had a slight problem with the incubator that I used with my hentzi.. The condensation built up & I lost a few.. I then transfered them to vials/delis with moist paper towel The ones that survived all molted 2nd instar just fine in that setup.. :)

Congrats on the new critters.. :)

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. anax

Hey congrats on your new t! While I wouldn't recommend handling your t at this size, mine is an absolute doll when it comes to handling. I think they are a very good first species. Mine has also never kicked hairs at me. My anax likes to re-arrange it's cage frequently, not with a lot of webbing but with a lot of excavation. Mine does not hide ever though. Additionally, it fills it's water dish with ecoearth all the time.

Have fun and enjoy!

PS as adults they do like it dry, but I would keep up the moisture levels until it is an inch or 2 in diameter, as babies need more moisture.

Last edited:

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't recommend handling your t at this size
There's wasn't much handling involved, lol. I gently pulled him out on the paper towel, then nudged him onto the table. This was the first time i'd done so, and it was only for the photos. I generally have a 'hands off' policy when it comes to my Ts. :)