A. anax breeding

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OK i have a MM anax and a MF anax. I am wanting to breed them but do not want to lose either one to some unfortunate accident.
the female is in a 12x12x12 exotera and the male is in one of the shallow rectangular KK type things. about 7"x14"x6" .
the male is pacing his butt off and the female has been out of her clay pot since i got him here.

Question is
should i move her to a differant container that has more floor space before i attempt to mate them? what i planned to do is put th emale in a deli cup and place him in the females container to see if they drummed or anything . I really want to preserve this male when his days are done he is an exceptional specimine. And of course i realy dont want my female to be a last meal for a male for sure. so any suggestions.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Use the shark tank method. Put the male in a container with lots of holes in the container, then place the container in the females tank and watch for signs of drumming. When and if they are both responding let the male out to handle his business!

Or what I would do just place the females tank on the floor, take the male out and place him in her container opposite of her, then watch. To protect them both have tweezers or chopsticks handy to seperate them incase it gets hairy. The male when placed in her tank should vibrate fairly quickly, watch the female for response, if she does not respond in any manner dont let him move over to her, she might lunge and kill him.
Keep us updated!

Oh one more thing, her being well fed before an attempt is a must as well, this lessens the chance of her making a snack out of the male!

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, now feed the female another. The day before I introduce a male, I will feed the female as much as she wants.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Okay, now feed the female another. The day before I introduce a male, I will feed the female as much as she wants.
You can also for the future, once she kills one prey, prekill items and lay them at her feet while she is eating the one you just gave her. Most of the time the female will pick up the next prey and keep on eating till she is full! Slows her down big time too.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im sorta afraid that she may be going into premolt tho. she dosent look like it but its been about a year since last molt. and she had not eaten a thing for over a month. but sh etook this roach just fine so...

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
im sorta afraid that she may be going into premolt tho. she dosent look like it but its been about a year since last molt. and she had not eaten a thing for over a month. but sh etook this roach just fine so...
Ooh, yeah. Don't introduce the male if she's that far out. She's much more likely to kill him so she can feel safe molting later on.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
of course shes still black legged hasnt turned brown yet. I am not sure how long they go between molts. her last molt was 10/21/2006

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
of course shes still black legged hasnt turned brown yet. I am not sure how long they go between molts. her last molt was 10/21/2006
If it was that long since her last molt you better wait till she molts and feed her up again then try. Breeding her at this point won't do much. They are almost on a yearly cycle, some a bit more some a bit less. But past 4-5 months after a molt your odds of haveing a good breeding from a female takes a sharp drop.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my best bet is prob to send him out on a breeding loan. only thing is i want him back cause when he expires i want to preserve him. he is a huge specimine.