A 1 question quiz

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i just realized something while reading earlier today, something i thought was rather amusing. Rather than telling, i thought it would be fun to see if anyone can guess it first. I know this is too easy for some of you, but i thought some people might enjoy it.

Here's the question: In the buthidae family there are 80 genera. Out of these 80, there is only one genus that is completely represented in the hobby. what is this genus?

John

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey John, my under-educated guess would be babycurus since theres only a few differnt species of those which are somewhat readily aviable right?

Ed

EDIT: If theres a choice of 2 opinions I guess I'd have to use hottentotta as my back up anwser....good thing this isn't final jeopardy.

Thiscordia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey John, my under-educated guess would be babycurus since theres only a few differnt species of those which are somewhat readily aviable right?

Ed

EDIT: If theres a choice of 2 opinions I guess I'd have to use hottentotta as my back up anwser....good thing this isn't final jeopardy.
Well now we are 2 persons thinking the same there's only:
Babycurus jacksonii & B. gigas.
So correct us if we are wrong.

-.Raul

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually the correct answer should simply be the genus Odonturus.
I got a little ahead of myself.

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Odonturus dentatus
Nice Job! very speedy response!:D

Although i guess it's not as big a deal to represent an entire genus when it only has one species. lol.

Kudos to you too, Dave.;)

John

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

actually there´s another monotypic buthid genus which is represented in the hobby, although there´s only one person in possession of specimens so far: Karasbergia ;). Oh, and I used to keep a single male of Vachoniolus some time ago, another monotypic genus.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Alex,

I also believe that someone had a Zabius birabeni at some point a few years back. Might be mistaken -- but I think it was mentioned on either ScorpFans or similar. Since Z.fuscus is occasionally represented, that would complete that genus.

Cheers,
Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
alright, perhaps i should have said widely represented in the hobby.

John

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I forget which comedian it was that said "I have the largest collection of sea shells in the world -- I keep them scattered on all the beaches" or something to that effect.

Cheers,
Dave