9 scropions are any of them pregnant

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
Hi I seen really great comments on here and am happy to be apart of the community. So the question: I have 9 Asian forest scorpions adults that I bought about 7months ago. (Originally 10 but one died after a week) they are all housed together in a 20 gallon long aquarium. They get along fine. I have the humidity at about a constant 60-80% and the heat at 75-85 degrees. I breed dubia roaches as this is there diet( I first was feeding them adult mice and crickets, then meal worms, now just the adult roaches.)My original ratio was 6 females 4 males. I have researched and have a hard time telling the sex of them and two look really swollen as I'm hoping they are pregnant. I know they take a long time up to 9 months or more to have scorpionlings but I can't tell whose a male/Female and if they are pregnant or not. Any help/or advise is greatly appreciated.

Stugy

Arachnolord
How do you have the enclosure set up? It is recommended that you keep a lot of hiding places so the scorpions can have their "alone time" sometimes. Regarding the diet, according to people on the forums, it is unhealthy to feed inverts vertebrates such as mice. I've never done so but people here don't appreciate that but I would recommend that if you want to feed your scorpions mice, do it maybe once a year to vary the diet a bit. But they are your scorpions and you can do whatever you want with them :p I do hope that your scorpions are gravid (pregnant) ;) Oh yeah! Welcome to the forums!

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
the best thing to do would be to take a picture of the swollen scorpions in question, and any that you need to be sexed we would need a picture of the pectines on there underside. but with that ratio and time frame it would be safe to assume thay you have some gravid females. i would recommend isolating the suspected gravid females because they will become very defensive and easily stressed after giving birth, the other scorpions may be killed or she may eat the slings.

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
Here are the 9 of them and their home set up. I numbered the pictures and the fat ones are the ones I think are pregnant 1,5,6,7, and 9 please let me know what you think. And I have stopped feeding them mice as of January. They only eat black dubia roaches that I breed. The roaches are well feed and we'll kept to support healthy nutrition for the scorpions. I started with 30 roaches in Dec. Now I have over 700 and still going.
I don't know if I can load all at one time so I'll do a few pictures and load them till it's scorpion number 9...just wanted to be as descriptive as possible

Attachments

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
the best thing to do would be to take a picture of the swollen scorpions in question, and any that you need to be sexed we would need a picture of the pectines on there underside. but with that ratio and time frame it would be safe to assume thay you have some gravid females. i would recommend isolating the suspected gravid females because they will become very defensive and easily stressed after giving birth, the other scorpions may be killed or she may eat the slings.
I took 3 pictures of each. Underside top and side. 1,5,6,7,and 9 are my guess that are gravid. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
How do you have the enclosure set up? It is recommended that you keep a lot of hiding places so the scorpions can have their "alone time" sometimes. Regarding the diet, according to people on the forums, it is unhealthy to feed inverts vertebrates such as mice. I've never done so but people here don't appreciate that but I would recommend that if you want to feed your scorpions mice, do it maybe once a year to vary the diet a bit. But they are your scorpions and you can do whatever you want with them :p I do hope that your scorpions are gravid (pregnant) ;) Oh yeah! Welcome to the forums!
I put a picture of the enclosure in the thread. And the scorpions. Please tell me what you think.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
sorry for the late response, got busy. based on the shape of the operculum this is what i think. keep in mind im no expert so i could be wrong on a few.
1. male
2. female
3. female
4. male
5. female
6. female
7. unsure possible female.
8. female
9. unsure possible male

3 and 6 are most likely gravid, i couldnt see the operculum well on 7 and 9 so im unsure, allthough 9 is pretty chubby.

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
sorry for the late response, got busy. based on the shape of the operculum this is what i think. keep in mind im no expert so i could be wrong on a few.
1. male
2. female
3. female
4. male
5. female
6. female
7. unsure possible female.
8. female
9. unsure possible male

3 and 6 are most likely gravid, i couldnt see the operculum well on 7 and 9 so im unsure, allthough 9 is pretty chubby.
Thank you at least I have an idea. I took the out last night and had the wife hold them up while I took the pics. I hope they are gravid. They all get along very well and I'm sure I'll raise the lings right...but I'll have to separate them. We are in the military so I drove with them a cat and two dogs to the hotel while wife is in school till July 9th. Didt was leave them home that long due to possibly being gravid and water. We came from missouri to Virginia a 18hr drive with the dogs lol. My first love is tarantulas and spiders which I've had a few...but they are slow and kinda boring...the scrops are much more active.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Thank you at least I have an idea. I took the out last night and had the wife hold them up while I took the pics. I hope they are gravid. They all get along very well and I'm sure I'll raise the lings right...but I'll have to separate them. We are in the military so I drove with them a cat and two dogs to the hotel while wife is in school till July 9th. Didt was leave them home that long due to possibly being gravid and water. We came from missouri to Virginia a 18hr drive with the dogs lol. My first love is tarantulas and spiders which I've had a few...but they are slow and kinda boring...the scrops are much more active.
yeah i hear yeah. i started with scorpions and then got into tarantulas. ill be doing the same kind of move next month. 16 hours from kentucky to colorado, with 17 scorpions, 6 tarantulas, and a gecko lol

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
yeah i hear yeah. i started with scorpions and then got into tarantulas. ill be doing the same kind of move next month. 16 hours from kentucky to colorado, with 17 scorpions, 6 tarantulas, and a gecko lol
How many scorps did you start out with? Did you breed yours? And what's your main diet for them.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
i started with one P.dictator, and then ended up buying another, and just branched out from there. my small species and slings mainly eat crickets and red runners, my larger species eat hissers and adult red runners, and sometimes i tong feed them super worms to mix it up a bit. im trying to breed my 2 H. Petersii, and my H.troglodytes, eventually ill breed some others once they mature. i just had 2 broods of C.gracilis purely by accident lol.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feed all the stuff here mostly crickets. A few years ago, stores started selling a Gryllus species, common name given them was "crazy reds". I really like those things but there was a lot of hate about them everywhere. Well I've had several generations going over here and still going strong, never had to buy crickets at the store in years. I also feed out dubias but there is something about them, sometimes predators avoid them. It's kind of like they say, "Ahhh, that roach was 'OK', but I don't want to eat another one for a while." The other feeder, immature Hissers, but crickets are the number one feeder over here.

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
I feed all the stuff here mostly crickets. A few years ago, stores started selling a Gryllus species, common name given them was "crazy reds". I really like those things but there was a lot of hate about them everywhere. Well I've had several generations going over here and still going strong, never had to buy crickets at the store in years. I also feed out dubias but there is something about them, sometimes predators avoid them. It's kind of like they say, "Ahhh, that roach was 'OK', but I don't want to eat another one for a while." The other feeder, immature Hissers, but crickets are the number one feeder over here.
I feed mine dubias because there super easy to breed. The reason they may not eat as many is because they are high In nutrients and protein. I think of crickets like cereal lol.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
My scorps don't like dubias too much don't react much to them and when they get a hold of it they spend minutes trying to find a spot to sting it haha
Red runners are awesome , I can't stand keeping crickets

Magmarc20002

Arachnopeon
My scorps don't like dubias too much don't react much to them and when they get a hold of it they spend minutes trying to find a spot to sting it haha
Red runners are awesome , I can't stand keeping crickets
Yea the dubias shell is kinda hard to sting unless they are full adults. What kind of scrops do you have. I'd imagine Asian forest and emperors don't need the stinger with their massive claws.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
1.1 Androctonus Australis Hector
1 Uroplectus chubbi
1 Parabuthas Transvaalicus
1 Tityus Stigmurus
1 Rhoplarurus Juneus
1 hottentotta jayakari

Yea my old Asian forest never stung lol never needed too I guess. Most of what I have is alittle on the medium to small size in scorps