8 year old daughter wants a good starter T.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
My daughter wants a T for her self now. She wants one that is really pretty and docile not speedy quick either. I know there are suggestion threads here but this is For an 8 year old who has decided she likes T's.

knifeguy

Arachnopeon
Really pretty and docile ... i'd say a versicolor, my interaction with this sp. was nothing less than great. Also they look really cool and have vibrant colors.
Perhaps there are Ts more docile than versi out there but for the pretty part nothing can beat a versi.

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO Grammastola pulchripes. All three of my daughters 13, 10, and 6 have about a 2 incher from a breeding of mine a few years ago. I dont think you can say one spider necessarily is better by species, they each act different depending on circumstances, I have had G. pulchripes rear up on me on ocassion. You def. dont want one with significant venom. But I figure you know this.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Either a g.pulchra or a.versicolor. THe pulchra is a gorgeous black, and a real sweety, the versicolor is slightly more speedy, but for the most part they are very calm and usually just chill out. THey are also the more colourful option of the two.

Aren't you seezilla's partner? I would recommend you get a juvnile or subadult if you go for another versi, as they're a bit more hardy when they get over the sling stage.

I think its awesome that kids show an interest, just be sure to really have a nice long talk to her about the risks involved, for both her and the T, and I'm sure you'll be fine :D

Good luck!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO Grammastola pulchripes. All three of my daughters 13, 10, and 6 have about a 2 incher from a breeding of mine a few years ago. I dont think you can say one spider necessarily is better by species, they each act different depending on circumstances, I have had G. pulchripes rear up on me on ocassion. You def. dont want one with significant venom. But I figure you know this.
+1 for G. pulchripes

You could also get them a dwarf like P. scrofa.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
i would recommend a ground dwelling sp,NOT a rosie they are by far my least favorite tarantula

i would start with a

chaco golden knee

curly haird tarantula ( very good tarantula mine grew fast and is very nice besides the feeding response)

b.smithi (very pretty but have some gnarly hairs)

i would stay away from climbers just because there jumper then the walkers :)

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the curly hair is a great choice for an 8 year old's first T. I raised on as a sling, gave it to a boy who kept it til he went to college - then it came back to me, many years later. Hardy, docile, cool looking, good eater.

IMO B smithi (at least as a sling) can be on the skittish side
Agree that arboreals (even avics) can be a bit fast for a young child
B pulchra also a good choice - mine is really a great spider
I've never kept G pulchripes, so can't comment

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All good choices

Red Knee, Curly Hair, BB, Chaco are all great! I'll add another highly recommended T from a similar thread, the PZB.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
My list would be like this:

1. E. Campestratus (All I can say is WOW, super docile)
2. B. Smithi (Second tarantula I ever bought and she has been amazing!!!)
3. G. Pulchripes (Don't have one, but really want one!)
4. G. Rosea (First one I ever bought, very docile but not super exciting)
5. P. Murinus (Super calm T, will not bite even when provoked :liar: hehehe )

Anyways, that is what I would go with for a young beginner. Seriously though, not the last one, unless you want her to become arachnophobic ;P

Good luck and wish the best of luck!!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My list would be like this:

1. E. Campestratus (All I can say is WOW, super docile)
2. B. Smithi (Second tarantula I ever bought and she has been amazing!!!)
3. G. Pulchripes (Don't have one, but really want one!)
4. G. Rosea (First one I ever bought, very docile but not super exciting)
5. P. Murinus (Super calm T, will not bite even when provoked :liar: hehehe )

Anyways, that is what I would go with for a young beginner. Seriously though, not the last one, unless you want her to become arachnophobic ;P

Good luck and wish the best of luck!!!
I really thought you were seriously recommending a P. murinus for an 8 year old. Whew I'm glad you were joking, that wouldve been horrible. ;)

Seriously though, to the OP, all of them would be fine, EXCEPT the P. murinus :embarrassed:

Cant wait until I finally get one though! :D

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
Thank you all. Probably if anything, end up getting her a PZB, cause Seezilla wants one. More like end up getting three.{D

And for the P.murinus, uh no. Well not right now.

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Yes, sodaboy78 is my hubby! <3 ^_^

I've told her to research some of the more docile one, most of the ones I suggested to her you guys already listed (they are on my wishlist anyway! LOL) I'm leaning towards getting her an e. campestratus as I was planning on getting at least two anyway, I was also thinking of maybe getting her a b. klaasi because they are extremely striking, although I haven't heard much about their temperament here, but as it's a brachypelma it should be ok. Any thoughts on that particular T from personal experience would be appreciated.

I showed her pictures of a b. smithi and a b. pulchra and they just weren't "cool" enough for her. {D Kids I say! I want both and will probably acquire them in the next three months. My next T purchase is going to be an e. campestratus for sure. I cannot wait. Oh and my Petco was having a sale on 10g tanks, so I picked up two since they were $10 a piece! Yay! (<-- random! I know.)

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to throw something else out there, a dwarf species that I acquired recently, and I really like, super insanely docile! Euthulas sp. "Red" the Chilean flame rump! Honestly, both of my B. smithis are super skittish as is my A. versi. I've never owned a grammie so I can't really say anything on those (I really need to change that). But that would be my suggestion.

;)