75 gallon desert terrarium

Dmull1107

Arachnopeon
I've been wanting to create a desert invertebrate tank for a while and just got myself a 75 gallon tank and could use some advice on what to put in it
I was thinking about putting 1 or 2 desert hairy scorpions as well as a group of blue death feigning beetles but would there be any other animals I could add to this tank with them or if anyone has a cooler idea, I was also planning on making this tank bioactive with plants and a 3D background with pipes in it to allow the beetles to get away from the scorpion

fried rice

Arachnoknight
That sounds amazing! You could keep velvet ants. They are flightless wasps that live in the same place as desert hairy scorpions and blue death feigning beetles.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
That's a sizable project ! 75 gallons ? You could sell tickets to people that come to see it....
But pipes for those BDFB's ? In my experience those beetles usually bother the scorpions instead of the other way around.
Scorpions like their private space, your H. Arizonensis will get mugged a lot in it's burrow if there are too many BDFB's. They go nuts for a bit of scorpion feces.
How many bags of excavator clay will go into such a enclosure ? The entire US stock ?

Dmull1107

Arachnopeon
I was going to use a mix of sand and Coco husk fiber so I don't spend too much money and use a foam covered in sand to create the background, but thank you for the advice

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Yeah, I was gonna say you need tubes so the Hadrurus can get away from the beetles, not the other way around, but @Lubed Tweezer beat me to it.

Anyway, 75 gallons seems like a lot of space to commit to a few creatures that would ordinarily thrive in 10 gallon tanks and smaller. Not sure what you could put in there to go with what you already want to make more use of the space however. I will say that you probably don't want to keep velvet ants and a scorpion(s) together though.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
75 gallons is a lot...but if you really want to, you could incorporate a bunch of desert darklings, a hadrurus arizonensis, or a colony of centruorides sculpturatus. Maybe even some little oddballs like a desert gecko, a vinegaroon, harvestmen(opiliones) or maybe even a solifugae(I'd stay away from these due to their fragile nature).

Dmull1107

Arachnopeon
I might downgrade this tank to a 20 that I have as it might be a bit big for the inhabitants

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
This sounds like an awesome! Please post pictures as you begin to work on it!