7-year-old's 1st T

Den

Arachnosquire
My little 7-year-old sister wants a tarantula. :confused: I got a g rosea for my first. She doesn't want a rosea. So what would be good for a little girl? :D

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Of course no 7 year old should be left without watch with any Tarantula, but I would say a Brachypelma albopilosum, Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma emilia. Not biased or anything toward those three , just seem to be great first T's.

My daughters Curly hair is super docile and beautiful, same with the emilia. Granted some smithi's can be kickers and skittish at times, but all T's have their own personality in my opinion.

Den

Arachnosquire
Of course I would keep watch and I agree. Thank you. :D

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Grammostola pulchra or pulchripes would be good or maybe a cute little Avic avic.;) She would probably think the pinktoes are adorable... 'cuz they are.:p

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm seconding the Avic Avic suggested by satanslilhelper. They are just little teddy bears hah!

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm seconding the Avic Avic suggested by satanslilhelper. They are just little teddy bears hah!
I call them little kittens. All of the ones I've handled come across as playful. I know they're not though. They're probably running for their little lives,:eek:but they're so darn cute anyway you look at it.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I call them little kittens. All of the ones I've handled come across as playful. I know they're not though. They're probably running for their little lives,:eek:but they're so darn cute anyway you look at it.
I agree, I love the little front leg action when they walk around when they are slings, always looks like prancing to me. If someone dont think thats adorable there be issues, lol.

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i would suggest PZB. avics are great starter arboreal T's but can be a bit frustrating at times. plus with a little kid, a jumping spider that shoots poo can either be extremely cool.. or terrifying. depending on the kid.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avic. avic... I sold an Avic.metallica to a 9 YO girl a few months back.It was her first t.It died after a week,so I met up with her and her Mom and gave her 2 slings for free.Her Mom updates us about then every few weeks.Little girls love little pink feet,keep that in mind...

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Add another vote for A. Avicularia - - my 7 year old daughter takes care of her 4.5" all by herself while I take care of the rest of the collection. She loves "Charlotte" and her little pink toes.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Every one of my kids have their own Avic Avics! my boys range from 6 to 12 years old. My 10 year old has a couple others. He has a 0.1 P.irminia and a 1.0 P.pederseni also.

Joe - CAK

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I would be hesitant to suggest a Brachypelma due to them being more likely to kick hairs, and a lot of people are quite sensitive to Brachy hairs. Docile yes, but not something I would start my kids off with.

I would say a G. pulchripes, big, pretty, good eaters, and both of mine have never even threatened to kick hair. A.avicularia would be a good choice too, just obviously faster and more likely to jump when handled.

Den

Arachnosquire
I think she would like the A. Avicularia too. ADORABLE!!!

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
A. metallica... if there is anyone asking to touch or handle one of our T's, it's one of those. About as calm as you can define the word.