7 Rescued from tarantula hawk... Help!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How do you go about facilitating that? Obviously these tarantulas are nowhere near ready for that, but maybe once they recover I like to think I can still get them laid haha!
I would think that it would be very unlikely that the males that you have, who are already mature, would have it in them anymore once they recover... if they do fully recover. While they might live for a while after maturing, they are not viable for mating the entire time and they stop making sperm webs at one point. I would suspect that this experience would also affect their abilities to produce viable sperm... although it would be interesting if they did go on to reproduce.

Azdogwoman

Arachnopeon
My husband brought me two, in one week, and one has survived. Given the fact that we humans have messed up the environment so much, I had mixed feelings about taking them from the wasp...but we did so it is done.
I spoke to the people at Southwest Desert Museum who deal with all sorts of southwestern animals including tarantulas. They told me that few survive, and most, if they do, only last a year or two.
None the less I set up a "hospital" tank for her (paper towel instead of dirt) and have been providing her with moisture in a small dish of water or dripping water in one spot or another of the towel, and most recently a teeny tiny cricket...which she may have eaten, not sure (but it is gone.) She began moving about around the tank on her own after 10 days or so.
Now she is flipping over and after learning what that means, am leaving her alone and hopefully she will moult.
I suspect we will attempt to keep her as it appears due to her situation, her odds in the wild will be less than most other tarantulas...

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
I took my students to southern Colorado, back in early September, this fall to see the tarantula migration. We saw maybe 100 to 150 tarantulas, several species of huge wolf spiders, lubber grasshoppers, giant black widow spiders, and the tarantula hawk wasps. Once we started finding groups of wasps, that's when we started finding colonies of tarantulas. It was an amazing experience for myself and my students.

Towards evening, we saw several tarantulas get stung by wasps. Along the side of the road there were 100's a dead tarantulas, that had fallen victim to the wasps; their bodies desiccated and eaten.

I came very close to picking up one of the tarantulas that had been stung and doing this very thing. I had heard that it could be done and ideas of running this experiment were very enticing.

My hat's off to you, I hope that they all pull through. :)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I took my students to southern Colorado, back in early September, this fall to see the tarantula migration. We saw maybe 100 to 150 tarantulas, several species of huge wolf spiders, lubber grasshoppers, giant black widow spiders, and the tarantula hawk wasps. Once we started finding groups of wasps, that's when we started finding colonies of tarantulas. It was an amazing experience for myself and my students.

Towards evening, we saw several tarantulas get stung by wasps. Along the side of the road there were 100's a dead tarantulas, that had fallen victim to the wasps; their bodies desiccated and eaten.

I came very close to picking up one of the tarantulas that had been stung and doing this very thing. I had heard that it could be done and ideas of running this experiment were very enticing.

My hat's off to you, I hope that they all pull through. :)

Those would all be mature males. In many species the males all mature and leave their borrows at the same time. This overwhelms predators and allows a few to successfully breed. In parts of Arizona you can see many tarantulas out and about during the monsoons or later on cloudy days in October. Any tarantulas stung by wasps would have been brought to a nest were they would be fed to the young. Adults eat nectar.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Those would all be mature males. In many species the males all mature and leave their borrows at the same time. This overwhelms predators and allows a few to successfully breed. In parts of Arizona you can see many tarantulas out and about during the monsoons or later on cloudy days in October. Any tarantulas stung by wasps would have been brought to a nest were they would be fed to the young. Adults eat nectar.
We watched one wasp buzz across the ground and come up to a burrow that had an entrance that had been webbed over. The wasp spent a few moments searching around the opening, then very carefully removed the webbing and ventured inside.

After a bit out came, what I thought, was a nice plump female tarantula...she didn’t get far...was stung by the wasp and then drug back down Into the burrow. It was both sad and exciting to see this first hand.

That was the little tarantula that I came very close to rescuing and bringing back to the classroom. Instead I took pictures...:snaphappy:

I would love to come down into Arizona and see the migration that you described.

Next summer I'm planning a trip down to the 4 corners area to see if I can find specimens of a sweet little dwarf species of tarantula that I know calls that area home. One of the entomologists at CSU was telling me about them a couple years ago.

Last edited:

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
its hard to walk away that's for sure. I had my 3 kids with me and they were very upset, I just couldn't resist. once we helped out the first one, we couldn't pass up the others we came across. it was a double standard, like, the first ones life mattered but not the others? I was and still an torn but we saw the same thing... tons of dead tarantulas scattered along the road dessicated.. sad!!! so, here we are.
I have separated then info their own spaces... need help on knowing what is best. I used compressed coconut fibers, soaked and then wrung out. gave each of them a small hide. no water dishes yet, were still watering them daily by hand. when has it too soon to try a small cricket?
here is a pic... tonight we drilled cross ventilation holes, on the lid then on the box itself. this is just to get them through until we see who makes it, then we can upgrade.
advice?? 1019191628.jpg 1019191628c.jpg 1019191628.jpg 1019191628c.jpg

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Wow, three have gone in their hides already. Well done!

You don’t need my advice (I’m a noob) and you’re doing a great job. But one thing occurred to me, did you pack the cocofibre down? I’m told they don’t like walking on a loosely packed surface.

Hopefully, one of the experienced ones will come along and answer about the crickets.

Have any of them tried to dig or anything?

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have separated then info their own spaces... need help on knowing what is best. I used compressed coconut fibers, soaked and then wrung out. gave each of them a small hide. no water dishes yet, were still watering them daily by hand.
Those enclosures look fine. Adding a water dish won't hurt, because some of the more mobile tarantulas might drink from them on their own.

when has it too soon to try a small cricket?
If they are moving around on their own, you can try feeding. You might try maiming the cricket a bit at first (e.g., removing the jumping legs) to make them easier to catch.

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
You guys are the best! No I did not pack the fibers down, that is definitely good to know. I will do that when I get home from work tonight. I will certainly try some small crickets at the end of this week and let you all know how it goes. When I first put their enclosures together, I didn't have the lips on and I ran to the store for about 30 minutes. When I came back one of them had crawled into the others enclosure. They are mobile but they are very slow.

Also, nobody has done any digging yet. I'm excited for that. I wonder if this species likes to lay down webbing like others I have seen. Not a lick of that yet and they've been in there for 2 days now

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Also, nobody has done any digging yet. I'm excited for that. I wonder if this species likes to lay down webbing like others I have seen. Not a lick of that yet and they've been in there for 2 days now
They are not big webbers, not that many species are. You might find a light blanket outside the mouth of their burrow, but that's it. They do like to burrow, though.

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
Hello again!!!
Today marks 10 weeks... 70 days... and these little troopers just keep on going! ALL SEVEN ARE STILL ALIVE!! Im so proud if them! I will be posting a video later today and I'll share the link but ALL ARE WALKING 20191101_224259.jpg ... they're getting stronger. Im seeing movement in their fans and webber's! Here is a photo of one little nugget who has made a web for himself. I have given each of them 1 live cricket... all crickets were gone within 3 days but honestly im not positive they were eaten...? Maybe they buried into the coconut fiber? Im hoping though! I will be feeding them again today. Any tips?? I have fallen in love with these little guys... and would love to get their enclosures set up perfectly for them. Advice? Thanks to those of you who gave constructive advice over the last 2 months... they wouldn't have pulled through without your advice!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
That's fantastic to hear that all 7 are still going strong and recovering! Very excited to see the video when you post it! :)

Perhaps in this instance to try tong-feeding the Ts so you can actually witness whether or not it ate. I wouldn't usually suggest tong-feeding as a T with a healthy feeding response might break a fang if they hit it too hard, but assuming that these guys are still a bit sluggish it may be beneficial to do at least one feeding this way. Either that or maim the feeder enough that catching it won't be a struggle.

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
That's fantastic to hear that all 7 are still going strong and recovering! Very excited to see the video when you post it! :)

Perhaps in this instance to try tong-feeding the Ts so you can actually witness whether or not it ate. I wouldn't usually suggest tong-feeding as a T with a healthy feeding response might break a fang if they hit it too hard, but assuming that these guys are still a bit sluggish it may be beneficial to do at least one feeding this way. Either that or maim the feeder enough that catching it won't be a struggle.
Great ideas!! Thanks for the input im excited to give it a go! I would love to know for a fact they ate. I saw a fed off a gentleman in AZ whose stung tarantula ate his first meal on recovery day 107. Were at 70 so this may certainly be premature but I suppose we will find out! Thanks again!

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
Well.... day 70 was a good one for these nuggets. Their enclosures got an upgrade and they are cruising! Nobody has eaten their cricket... 2 of them really responded but ended up running away and hiding from the crickets.i tried using tongs but it was no help. I'll give them more time. How long should I wait to take the crickets out of the enclosures if they don't eat them? I have videos on you tube also if you want to see them. I can't directly upload a video here.
an extreme close up of one drinking water on his back
how were flipping them over these days
another flip and one bulldozing the others still drinking

I will get a video of each of them walking soon... all 7 can! And every one if them us able to help us flip them by grabbing or fingers whereas before they head to be completely picked up. Shown in the videos. Slow progress, but good progress. Thanks again to everyone who has given advice! So far so good... amazingly.
20191118_213632.jpg

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Well.... day 70 was a good one for these nuggets. Their enclosures got an upgrade and they are cruising! Nobody has eaten their cricket... 2 of them really responded but ended up running away and hiding from the crickets.i tried using tongs but it was no help. I'll give them more time. How long should I wait to take the crickets out of the enclosures if they don't eat them? I have videos on you tube also if you want to see them. I can't directly upload a video here.
an extreme close up of one drinking water on his back
how were flipping them over these days
another flip and one bulldozing the others still drinking

I will get a video of each of them walking soon... all 7 can! And every one if them us able to help us flip them by grabbing or fingers whereas before they head to be completely picked up. Shown in the videos. Slow progress, but good progress. Thanks again to everyone who has given advice! So far so good... amazingly.
View attachment 325981

Very awesome to see them mobile and doing so much better! What a turnaround.

I generally give 24 hours max before I'll remove uneaten prey items. Seeing how shakey these guys still are, I wouldn't be surprised if they still take a good bit to regain an appetite. Personally I'd wait to start feeding them until after they can flip themselves upright on their own to try feeding again. I doubt they'll have the reflexes necessary to catch a prey item before then.

Just of note, since they are beginning to become mobile again, it may be a good idea to start only taking one out at a time. That one cruising around could have had a very easy meal had he been hungry.

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
Great idea on the wait until they can flip themselves back over... but Keep in mind I've never had a pet T before so im not sure how they do it... meaning im not sure how close or far away these guys are to being able to do so.

Tarantulas eat other tarantulas?!?! I know in mating... but just for a food source? I was only worried about the mating attempts if thet got better because it sounds like I MAY have some of each gender. Dang. Ok I'll start doing perhaps two at a time and space them out. Watering is a bit time consuming with 7... ill find a safer way to do it. Thank you!
Im wondering if this species (Oklahoma brown ive been told?) Is aggressive. Im hearing on other boards about lots of people who won't handle their Ts ever. Obviously we haven't even had a bite scare with these guys... but I feel like it's inevitable.
this is to show they are not only able to slowly walk but can now climb over small hurdles
Compare to how fast these guys are in the wild (videoed same day we watched these guys get stung in the same field)
Compare to recovery day 1... only twitches and one who wasnt stung quite as bad... they've come a long way but clearly have a long way to go.
Thanks again... so much

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Aww, the little guy waving one pedipalp while he’s drinking. So cute. You’ve done a great job of nursing them imo.

About handling, most people who are against all handling are more concerned about danger to the T (falls and jumps) rather than getting bitten. Obviously bites are a risk with any animal tho, especially if they feel threatened or frightened.

The other thing is the urticating hairs, I wanted to ask you - don’t you feel itchy after handling them? Also, do you know not to rub or touch your eyes/face after handling? A hair in the eye can be really bad - something to make sure your kids know about. You probably already know but it’s worth repeating, I think.

Last edited:

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
Aww, the little guy waving one pedipalp while he’s drinking. So cute. You’ve done a great job of nursing them imo.

About handling, most people who are against all handling are more concerned about danger to the T (falls and jumps) rather than getting bitten. Obviously bites are a risk with any animal tho, especially if they feel threatened or frightened.

The other thing is the urticating hairs, I wanted to ask you - don’t you feel itchy after handling them? Also, do you know not to rub or touch your eyes/face after handling? A hair in the eye can be really bad - something to make sure your kids know about. You probably already know but it’s worth repeating, I think.
Honestly at safe to assume that I know nothing. Everything I know I have learned online in the last few months which is dangerous. I would rather be taught something 12 times than risk not knowing it.

I have been handling and flipping every single one of these guys every single day for 71 days now. Not 1 time have I gotten itchy afterwards. I don't sit there and pet them but obviously you can see it rubs against my skin. I'm not sure if it's that specific species or what the deal is but it's very soft and I have not seen anybody flinging a hair's. We do have 1 guy who has a clear stripe down his abdomen where it looks like he flung hairs but he had that before we got him. I have not cautioned my kids enough about not touching their eyes after holding these little nuggets. I will certainly pass that along today. We typically just wash your hands Before & After and sounds like we've been very lucky up to this point to not catch even one hair.

I have heard that if tarantulas fall, their abdomens will shatter a. Is this true question? It sounds pretty out there.
Thanks!

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
They can rupture their abdomens if they fall. The fatter the abdomen the more likely it could be injured. Don’t let me put you off enjoying your t’s, I am cautious by nature - maybe overcautious.

On the other hand if I saw you post that you or your family had an injured eye from a hair and I hadn’t said anything I’d feel awful. Washing your hands is good enough, especially if you’re not reacting to the hairs. Some species hairs are worse than others, maybe A hentzi aren’t so bad?