7 Rescued from tarantula hawk... Help!

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
I didn't mean to start a heated debate here! The fact of the matter is, I had no idea what was going on when I saw it happening. I thought the Tarantulas might have been playing dead as they were being dragged. I did not know they were paralyzed. I thought they were going to be eaten and it made me sad. Once I had them and did some research when cell phone reception kicked back in, I realized what was going on. At that point I couldn't just dump them on the side of the road. The fact of the matter is the Tarantulas and I are in this situation and I'm not just going to throw them out. I'm trying to take responsibility here and ask for constructive pointers. Telling me I messed up is not constructive. I already feel bad enough and I'm trying to do the right thing. I understand it is a long process and I'm game to try my best. I know that there's potential that not even one will survive, but there's more potential if I get some good suggestions from people who know the species well, then if I were just to throw them out in a field at this point. I have been told bye another individual that I have both males and females. I will post pictures so you can all decide.

Here are a few photos of their under sides when I have them water today

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Margot J

Arachnosquire
I don't know if you could really save them... the parasitic wasp larva eats them from the inside out, so unless there's a way to preform tarantula surgery, I don't know if they can be rescued. :(

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Margot J, the wasp only lays it's egg(s) on the tarantula once it's safely in the burrow; these ones were collected before that had happened. They are only temporarily paralyzed right now.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, you definitely have a combination of some males and females. It also looks like a couple have screwed up mouths and one looks to be missing their fangs. Fangs can regenerate, so don't just give up on the ones that have screwed up mouths - they are likely going to correct themselves if they make it and moult. You are going to have to continue feeding those ones manually until they moult, even after the paralysis wears off. Double check all their fangs, please. While they can't struggle.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Woah that's crazy, what a dope photo too. Where exactly were these found if you don't mind me asking? I'm in California and I'm curious if they're somewhere I could check out lol. From what I've learned they're not likely to survive if stung but it is possible.

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
Woah that's crazy, what a dope photo too. Where exactly were these found if you don't mind me asking? I'm in California and I'm curious if they're somewhere I could check out lol. From what I've learned they're not likely to survive if stung but it is possible.
These little guys were in Southern Colorado

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Nature has a reason for doing things,and Pepsis wasps have been doing this for eons.
T,s have survived it.OP,i didn't mean to be abrasive,or not helpful. It is the natural world,
being the natural world.
Good luck with your endeavor.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If they all survive, you can call them The Magnificent Seven, after the famous US Western movie, which is really based off of a famous Japanese movie.

NoviceAO

Arachnopeon
Haha! Great idea! They are all doing well so far, they were all watered today again on their backs, lots of drinking going on. Wondering if it is acceptable to get crickets and kind of mash them up, make a thin cricket smoothie to water them with? So far all 7 are still alive, were on day 5... They would all be eaten by now, so I guess they're doing ok comparatively speaking. 5 of the 7 can turn themselves around and they do have slight movement. 2 can barely move limbs (the smaller guys), but are singe of the best drinkers. I have seen a few of them excreting as well. Any advice is welcome! I have a group interested in taking them over, but so far it is going well here. I have video of one walking but it's too big to upload.

Well, you definitely have a combination of some males and females. It also looks like a couple have screwed up mouths and one looks to be missing their fangs. Fangs can regenerate, so don't just give up on the ones that have screwed up mouths - they are likely going to correct themselves if they make it and moult. You are going to have to continue feeding those ones manually until they moult, even after the paralysis wears off. Double check all their fangs, please. While they can't struggle.
Happy to do my best trying, I don't want to fail them. Any idea how often I should water them? Should I offer cricket smoothies? When will I know when to introduce food?

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Happy to do my best trying, I don't want to fail them. Any idea how often I should water them? Should I offer cricket smoothies? When will I know when to introduce food?
I was reading another thread about this (I’ll try to find it again and give link). They were cutting the end off a mealworm and squeezing out the inside and mix with a little water, then drop onto mouth.

Edit: Here’s the thread, the whole thread is interesting but the last but one page is about the mealworms.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/caring-for-an-octoplegic.269103/page-5

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I thought they were going to be eaten and it made me sad.
I say this with all sincerity... I really hope this experience has taught you a new way to deal with that feeling. Nature does not operate on our personal feelings.

We have Pepsis wasps in California, but they are smaller. There are tarantulas only in the central and southern part of the state. No one reputable will give you exact locations... you don't reveal animal locations online, for the safety of the native flora and fauna of that area.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Looks to me like 2 mature males (2 bottom right), 2 immature males (2 bottom left), and 3 females (top left for sure, and possibly the other two in the top row).

Crazy situation. I'm a bit of a bleeding heart myself and fully understand why you felt inspired in the heat of the moment to intervene OP, and I sincerely hope these guys do all recover, though for future reference it certainly is better for you to let nature take its designated course, sympathy (there, I fixed it :rofl:) be damned.

Please do keep us updated on their progress, wishing you the best of luck in what will be a long road to recovery if they all make it.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Arachnophoric, you were paralyzed by a Pepsis wasp and dragged across the road?? That must have been a big wasp!

Sorry, I just had to laugh at your use of the word empathy :rofl::D.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Dman

Arachnosquire
I hope that if someone sees me paralyzed on the road they help me out and not leave me to the harsh nature.;)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I can just see it now: "Man paralyzed by newly discovered Pepsis giganteus; is recovering after tarantula enthusiasts come to the rescue".

Thanks,

Arthroverts