7" Female Lasiodora parahybana webbing wierd ?

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 7" Female Lasiodora parahybana shed June 9th, has not eaten but just stared webbing little straight webbing from the ground to various spots on the glass ! Just rope like webs all over her 5 gallon tank. Can not figure out what's up with her. I thought she was hungry and threw in a few adult dubia and she just ignores them............... any ideas. (she is not gravid)

Thanks, Bob

Veribug

Arachnosquire
Got any pictures?
I've never kept an LP but webbing probably isn't a bad thing. As long as she's not walking strange or seeming ill, she's probably fine.

When you say has not eaten, do you mean since the molt? I've read that LPs are good eaters but the spider knows best. It'd still be nice to see a picture of your set up though :)

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with veribug as long as it's not walking funny, uncoordinated etc
I would think she's ok.

Curious about straight rope like webbing??

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Need a photo in order to help you here. Can you take one and post here?

One of T and one of enclosure

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
5G seems a bit small for a 7" legspan. It must be almost as wide as the tank, no? Mine is around 7.5" and I have her in a 10G and she's within a couple inches of touching both short walls at once when she chooses. She molted a few months ago, spun a molting mat that had multiple attachment points to the sides of the glass, but not much after molting and was eating within two weeks (I waited a little extra due to size and room humidity but made sure she had water). She's usually had a few thin strands throughout the tank but not what I would describe like you did. Photo would definitely be informational if you can.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She is in a 10 gallon, my bad. I put in a few adult Dubia roaches, no interest so I removed them and then put in an adult mouse. After a few minutes she got in a defense pose and then just climbed to the top of the gage and hung upside down until I removed it. One note, she is at room temp on top of coco fiber, completely dry with a small water dish. Was walking around the sides of the tank this morning. I may plce her in a new tank with a slightly damp sub-straight. Tried this before but did not make a difference. SHe just has not eaten much in the last year! My Theraphosa Stirmi is just the opposite.................Bob

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Try replacing the small water dish with a bigger one, let it overflow into the substrate a fair bit instead of making all sub more moist. Toss in a bit of spag moss in the damper end of the enclosure. If it is refusing food then it would have been better not to put a mouse in. Keep trying with Dubias every week. Ts don't starve easy.

Again, if you could provide some photos of T and enclosure then we could possibly be of more help.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm the weirdo that throws out this piece of information from time to time. I read an article a couple years ago that suggests tarantulas will seek specific prey types possibly to replace something that they are lacking in their diet. The hypothesis presented is that the behavior is akin to a person craving a specific food that contains a nutrient that they are lacking. According to the article, researchers observed tarantulas in their native habitats ignore prey items that they routinely ate in favor of particular prey that wasn't as readily available. There isn't empirical evidence to support this theory that I'm aware of but I have read a number of articles that suggest this possibility. I noticed that the OP has tried both roaches and a mouse. It might be worth trying some other feeders as well. I got the impression that this particular tarantula hasn't been a good eater and I assume that roaches are the regularly used feeder since that is where the OP started. I have a number of tarantulas that just won't eat roaches. No idea why. Crickets are my go to feeder with my picky eaters. For whatever reason all of my tarantulas will take crickets. I do try to vary my feeders with consideration to the above theory. I periodically offer different types of worms, moths, and roaches besides the crickets that I use regularly. I can't offer any observation that this is better for a tarantula, but it hasn't caused any harm so I have continued this way.

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
I keep mine with big overflowing dishes. I keep perfect humidity for all my T's and have ended up with my curly hair and L.para lying in their water dishes. They both love to soak in them and drink a lot. I have no idea why especially because I keep them at the recommended humidity and temp levels. They are just funny. I swear the buggers saw one doing it and all thought they'd try lol ;) Really though I would try another food source that won't harm the T in case something is going on. There is no chance of nematodes or funny movement etc ? We can't get roaches here in Canada so we try hornworms as a once in awhile treat. I read that they have more protein than some of the other worms. Maybe a different food will help. Keep us informed please I am curious as to how this will turn out. Good luck!