6 quart tub

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Could a scolopendra polymorpha or some species of smaller millipedes live in that enclosure?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could a scolopendra polymorpha or some species of smaller millipedes live in that enclosure?
Small millipedes, yes. I currently keep scarlet and bumblebee millipedes in a 6-quart tub...they are thriving and breeding in it.

I highly doubt it would be safe to keep a Scolopendra polymorpha in a 6-quart tub...at least the ones I am familiar with. The lids do not really seal well, and I suspect the centipede could rear up against the walls of the enclosure and squeeze out quite easily.

Last edited:

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I was planning to keep them on a substrate of cocofiber. Now would isopods and springtails be able to coexist with them? And also, what small millipedes would work for that size?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was planning to keep them on a substrate of cocofiber. Now would isopods and springtails be able to coexist with them? And also, what small millipedes would work for that size?
If you use cocofiber as a base, add plenty of dry hardwood leaves (I typically use oak and maple) and some wood (oak, maple, aspen shavings). Springtails go very well with millipedes, but isopods have been known to attack molting millies. Any millipede not exceeding about 4 inches should do well, if not overcrowded: scarlets, bumblebees, ivories, and flamelegs are all species that could work. Others are certainly possible.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Okay now would mold not be a concern if there are springtails in the container along with vents in the box?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay now would mold not be a concern if there are springtails in the container along with vents in the box?
Both the springtails and the vents will certainly help fight mold, but you will still need to follow best practices (such as removing fruit before/as soon as it shows signs of molding.)

Out of curiosity, which type of millipede were you thinking of? :)

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I was thinking of 3 species of millipedes of harems. I was thinking of flamelegs.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking of 3 species of millipedes of harems. I was thinking of flamelegs.
Flamelegs are a great choice...the first species I started with by the way. As I am sure you know, they aren't huge, but they are a decent size, beautifully colored and quite easy to breed. I started with 11, now I have more, even though most of the originals have passed on, and I've sold some as well.

Last edited:

Jerry

Arachnobaron
They can and do coexist well as long as it's species the require similer conditions I have smokey oak millipedes in with bumble bee millipedes and they are doing very well together