6 months to hit adulthood

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
She finally molted to 6th instar after 4 months. 6 months or maybe 7 months the most for her to reach maturity. I thought I'd have her mature by Feberuary since she was molting pretty fast from 2nd to 5th instar.

I got her at 2nd instar on 2nd or 3rd week of October. Took her 2 months to molt from 2nd to 5th instar. Her last molt was December 10, 2006 and she just molted to 6th instar today. 4 months to molt from 5th instar to 6th instar. I thought she was gonna die because she didn't eat since January. I have her set-up in a split 10 gallon tank.

Here she is now. Twice bigger. I'll wait few days to get a better picture of her.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's amazing how these scorpions molt out in the open like that, reminds me of what a cicada might do. Molts high up on the log and then moves down to the ground....very odd.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's amazing how these scorpions molt out in the open like that, reminds me of what a cicada might do. Molts high up on the log and then moves down to the ground....very odd.
It's the Borealis scorpion molt effect:eek: :wall: .

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
soon :D . Hopefully in 4-5 months :worship:
Definently, amazing that these scorpions can fully mature and give birth in under a year. No wonder why they are such a problem in south america. I was explaining to a buddy of mine how even if just one of those slipped outside down south they could start a population in the thousands in under 5 years. I wonder was able to evolve faster because of this.

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definently, amazing that these scorpions can fully mature and give birth in under a year. ... I wonder was able to evolve faster because of this.
It is amazing. Our Urodacus have a generation time of 6 years, just crazy for an arthropod that has so few young. But yes, with a more rapid generation time comes the ability to adapt more quickly.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yup, some scorpions are just wild. Eric (Ythier), has a species which generation time is about 10 years. 8 to mature and gestation is about 2, now thats a long time. :eek:

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, some scorpions are just wild. Eric (Ythier), has a species which generation time is about 10 years. 8 to mature and gestation is about 2, now thats a long time. :eek:
Now, thats crazy. Soon they'll be sitting behind laptops. Ordinarily creatures with long generation times and small offspring numbers are quite vulnerable to major changes, just look at what happened to the vast majority of apes when Africa dried out. But..Not the scorpions....Live on the SCORPION!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
soon :D . Hopefully in 4-5 months :worship:
Dont be surprised if it doesnt take longer. I have had some take up to 9 months before dropping their first brood while others much less. Now after the 1st, they drop pretty much every 4 months at 80F and fed well or at least mine have.

No telling how long Hadogenes spp take. They do everything slow LOL

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ordinarily creatures with long generation times and small offspring numbers are quite vulnerable to major changes, just look at what happened to the vast majority of apes when Africa dried out. But..Not the scorpions....Live on the SCORPION!
Yes, the species in reference is auctually protected in i'ts native land of Seychelles. I assume the growth period, which gives it that extreme vunerability as a species, is much of the reason it is protected.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont be surprised if it doesnt take longer. I have had some take up to 9 months before dropping their first brood while others much less. Now after the 1st, they drop pretty much every 4 months at 80F and fed well or at least mine have.

No telling how long Hadogenes spp take. They do everything slow LOL
After sunday. I will try to keep my Tityus serrulatus well fed and I'll give her 28-30C degrees at all times and see if that will make any difference.

woodson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi it loooks grow too fast....can you take some more pics for it?